Cheap eats: Cook-Out

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I ate at Cook-Out for the first time today. I never heard of it but was told it was a Southeast fast food chain started out of NC. I have to say I was impressed with the amount of food for the price. For $5, you get the Cook-Out tray with burger, two sides, and a large drink. For $1 more you can get a milkshake. Supposedly the beef is never frozen and delivered everyday. The double burger wasn't good as Five Guys but slightly better than McDonald's or Wendy's. I still can't understand how they can sell so much food for so cheap.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
not quite as good as 5 guy, but a good bit cheaper.

Definitely not as good but it was about 1/2 the price of Five Guys. Cheeseburger at Five Guys here is $7. Cook-Out tray with 1/4 lb burger, fries, chicken nuggets, and milkshake is $6. I've never been to In-N-Out but I guess Cook-Out is sort of like the East Coast version.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oh yeah. Cook-out is my go to for cheap meals with the kids. I get a burger, each kid get's a corn dog for the "side". We split a drink and I get an extra side of fries. $7 out the door.

Love that place.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Never heard of it. The one place I wish we had up here is Chic-fil-a. That place was solid. :thumbsup:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Never knew corn dogs or chicken nuggets were considered a side. Wouldn't those be a main course and sides be something like fries, carrots, apple slices, mashed potatoes, corn, etc?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Never knew corn dogs or chicken nuggets were considered a side. Wouldn't those be a main course and sides be something like fries, carrots, apple slices, mashed potatoes, corn, etc?

Nope. They have a pile of "side" items that are a main course for a kid. Corn dog, nuggets, quesadilla (at least at mine). That's why I can go and order a $5 combo and get a burger and two corn dogs and then another side of fries and feed me and two kids.

:)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Nope. They have a pile of "side" items that are a main course for a kid. Corn dog, nuggets, quesadilla (at least at mine). That's why I can go and order a $5 combo and get a burger and two corn dogs and then another side of fries and feed me and two kids.

:)

Wish they had one of those places in my neck of the woods. I love a cheap meal.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
One opened by me on a main city road about 2 years ago, I didn't go there till it was at least a year old as I don't know what they were offering but for the first 4+ months everytime I went by they had employees directing traffic coming in from the road and had a line like krispy Kreme during the buy one get on free sales.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I ate at Cook-Out for the first time today. I never heard of it but was told it was a Southeast fast food chain started out of NC. I have to say I was impressed with the amount of food for the price. For $5, you get the Cook-Out tray with burger, two sides, and a large drink. For $1 more you can get a milkshake. Supposedly the beef is never frozen and delivered everyday. The double burger wasn't good as Five Guys but slightly better than McDonald's or Wendy's. I still can't understand how they can sell so much food for so cheap.

How can they sell for cheap? Because the food is bad, that's why.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
How can they sell for cheap? Because the food is bad, that's why.

It's privately owned, doesn't have to pay franchise fees nor do they market heavily. It's no worse (if not better) than most other franchise fast food burger shops. I don't think they mark up food near as much and they don't have near as much overhead as the bigger places.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It's privately owned, doesn't have to pay franchise fees nor do they market heavily. It's no worse (if not better) than most other franchise fast food burger shops. I don't think they mark up food near as much and they don't have near as much overhead as the bigger places.

OK. Thanks for clearing that up. To be honest, I've never been to one. But, when I hear cheap and fast food my first reaction is bad food.

Is there such a thing as cheap meat?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Wholesale cost of many of the things sold at a burger joint actually can be had for surprisingly low cost. It's the labor and building rent that get you.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Never heard of it. My town is getting a Five Guys. Never been there before either. Will be checking it out when it opens.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm less than a quarter of a mile from one. I typically don't bother going there because there's a better burger place 2 doors down (locally owned with a busier, but much faster drive-thru)...

The few times I've gone to Cook-Out, I liked what I got, but don't usually want to wait in the drive-thru or bother going in because the drive-thru is always wrapped in front of the entrance. It's that busy there...