Cheap chinese laptop adapters - Safe?

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
I recently evaluated and fixed 3 unknown laptops. They all were missing adapters. Being we did not know the sate of the laptops hardware we went the cheap route and bought $7.95 ebay Chinese adapters. Although they work great and serve the purpose, are they dangerous to use?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I recently evaluated and fixed 3 unknown laptops. They all were missing adapters. Being we did not know the sate of the laptops hardware we went the cheap route and bought $7.95 ebay Chinese adapters. Although they work great and serve the purpose, are they dangerous to use?

Can be. There can be little to no quality control among the manufacturers. Just look at all the generic battery packs that people have problems with.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder the same thing. I broke down and bought, one, and then, two, adapters for an older laptop that would charge sporadically. I thought maybe the laptop jack was bad, but after getting the Chinese replacement chargers, it behaves fine, so it was in fact the wiring in the OEM factory chargers that had likely gotten damaged due to use.

Still, I worry a little bit about a fire. I use it on my bed.

nk215

Dec 4, 2008
I bought a Chinese adapter for my X201 along time ago. That adapter got very hot to the touch after an hour or so of use. I took it apart and the internal was too hot to touch. Needless to say I no longer use it. My OEM adapters don't even got warm.