Question Cheap box for home NAS - Athlon 3000G or Pentium G6400?

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
Hi,

I am looking for a new cheap NAS for home. My main goal is the use as much sata disks as I can (have pcie 6 sata card, so no need for the motherboard have tons of sata, and I have some usb to sata cases, this is not my main concern) and use ZFS, so not much RAM now, but I want to be able to have much more on future time.

I am looking at two CPU's now: Athlon 3000G and Pentium Gold G6400. The low Ryzen (1200AF and 1600AF) never show on retailers, they would be ok also.

For motherboard I looked for some cheap AM4 using A320, B450 and just knew A520 won't run this cpu. Main contenders were Gigabyte B450M DS3H and Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM (this has 6 sata and USB 3.1 Gen2).
For the Intel part I looked far less (I favor for the AMD system as I have one, and future troubleshoot would be easier. Also Intel changes socket too often, but it Intel system is better I can change, no problem at all).

The 3000G is great at $49, but it is not easy to find it at this price. This way I am here looking for hints on how to build this box. Will start using 16GB and have a mATX case for it.

Thanks for all that would jump in to help.

matheus

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
This is actually one of the few cases I'd advise getting the Pentium. If you don't plan to upgrade later that is, and it isn't significantly more expensive.

The main reason to get an Athlon is for the excellent IGP. Which is wasted in a NAS. Intel also tends to have slightly lower idle power consumption.

Remember if you go the Ryzen route, you'll need a discrete GPU of some kind. So that has to factor into cost too, unless you have something laying about.

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
This is actually one of the few cases I'd advise getting the Pentium. If you don't plan to upgrade later that is, and it isn't significantly more expensive.

The main reason to get an Athlon is for the excellent IGP. Which is wasted in a NAS. Intel also tends to have slightly lower idle power consumption.

Remember if you go the Ryzen route, you'll need a discrete GPU of some kind. So that has to factor into cost too, unless you have something laying about.
Hi, thanks for the input. On another thread about low cost CPU's I found this review that aligns with that:

Despite the temptation on assembling another AM4 box, this CPU seams really better performer. I will look for motherboards that are good and cheap. I am really looking for a 4 DIMM Slot one. Not a showstopper, but will count a lot.

Thanks,

matheus

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
Well for zfs you would want ECC ram. That rules out the 3000G.

thanks for the input, but my budge for this rig is really low and I used ecc ram for the storage rigs here. just ZFS (and UFS2 and some software raid earlier on FreeBSD).

I will look for the extra cost for it. Good thought, thanks!

matheus

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
I am looking at two CPU's now: Athlon 3000G and Pentium Gold G6400. The low Ryzen (1200AF and 1600AF) never show on retailers, they would be ok also.
If you need the IGP (e.g. for transcoding video, connecting to a TV or occasional use with monitor), you should ignore Ryzen anyway.
For the Intel part I looked far less (I favor for the AMD system as I have one, and future troubleshoot would be easier. Also Intel changes socket too often, but it Intel system is better I can change, no problem at all).
Actually the last AM4 CPU generation will launch next year and there's a chance these new CPUs won't work on B450.
On the other hand, LGA1200 is a new socket - CPUs from 2021 will work. Moreover, since LGA1700 introduces a lot of new stuff, Intel may decide to keep launching new LGA1200 chips for another year (or split the lineup and keep it for ever longer).

But do you really plan to upgrade a CPU in cheap NAS?
The 3000G is great at $49, but it is not easy to find it at this price.
It's on Amazon (shipping in mid September)...

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001
If you need the IGP (e.g. for transcoding video, connecting to a TV or occasional use with monitor), you should ignore Ryzen anyway.

Actually the last AM4 CPU generation will launch next year and there's a chance these new CPUs won't work on B450.
On the other hand, LGA1200 is a new socket - CPUs from 2021 will work. Moreover, since LGA1700 introduces a lot of new stuff, Intel may decide to keep launching new LGA1200 chips for another year (or split the lineup and keep it for ever longer).

But do you really plan to upgrade a CPU in cheap NAS?

It's on Amazon (shipping in mid September)...

Hi piokos,

I don't need the IGP. Just need a VGA to boot it and forget.

For the AM4 part, I find the AMx sockets lasting more then the Intel ones. So AM4 that may see its end next year will have more motherboards options on the farther future than Intel sockets. I bought AM3 motherboard not so long ago, and even now they exist and are better then the Intel I find (cheaper products here where I live, lower quality). This time I will buy on amazon.com and have it delivered afterwards here.

The upgrade option is that I have a Ryzen 3400G and in the future I may use it to have more cpu power on the NAS and get a faster one here. Or use the newer motherboard as a replacement to this one here, older. Or just as an option to test each other.

I am still looking for good socket 1200 motherboards. If anyone have a hint on some, just say it :)

Thanks,

matheus

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Hi piokos,

I don't need the IGP. Just need a VGA to boot it and forget.
You don't need video output to setup a server. Look up "headless server" or something like that. Everything can be done over SSH.
For the AM4 part, I find the AMx sockets lasting more then the Intel ones.
On average yes, but at this point in time Intel's socket probably has longer future. That's what I meant.
So AM4 that may see its end next year will have more motherboards options on the farther future than Intel sockets.
You're building a DIY home server, not a PC. I don't understand this upgrade strategy.
Buy exactly what you need right now. It's a server. It should last for much longer than a gaming system.

The way I see it, you're probably just set on buying AMD because you prefer this brand. And it's fine. No need to be ashamed and make up arguments about platform longevity. ;)

As for decent LGA1200 mATX choices:
- Asus Pro B460M-C/CSM
- Asus PRIME H470M-PLUS/CSM
- ASRock B460M-HDV

I'm sure there are more good options. I just wouldn't bother that much for a NAS. It simply has to match your needs for ports (whatever they are).
Also, personally I would go for a board with WiFi, which adds a lot of nice functionality (and you don't have to pay $20 for a good adapter later on). But again: I have no idea what you're planning to use this for.

Reactions: matheusber

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You don't need video output to setup a server. Look up "headless server" or something like that. Everything can be done over SSH.

On average yes, but at this point in time Intel's socket probably has longer future. That's what I meant.

You're building a DIY home server, not a PC. I don't understand this upgrade strategy.
Buy exactly what you need right now. It's a server. It should last for much longer than a gaming system.

The way I see it, you're probably just set on buying AMD because you prefer this brand. And it's fine. No need to be ashamed and make up arguments about platform longevity. ;)

- Asus Pro B460M-C/CSM
- ASRock B460M-HDV

I'm sure there are more good options. I just wouldn't bother that much for a NAS. It simply has to match your needs for ports (whatever they are).
Also, personally I would go for a board with WiFi, which adds a lot of nice functionality (and you don't have to pay $20 for a good adapter later on). But again: I have no idea what you're planning to use this for.
I also prefer AMD at this moment, why does this mean that he is ashamed ? And I agree on the longevity, Intel changes sockets like I change my underwear. Its obvious to me that you like Intel better, so just stop talking people down that don't prefer Intel.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It should be understood that shows the G6400 in its best light. He tested a 3000g that overclocked and ran ram at 3200MHz in another video. The r20 scores are almost identical at that point. 3000g benefits from the infinity fabric being faster, and having the extra ram speed. Overclocking is another bonus. I put mine in a $53 MSI A320 Max and was able to get 3.8GHz CPU/1600 iGPU with budget $50 3200 ram you have an amazing value build here in the U.S. That same board runs a 3600@4.2 Ghz all cores no sweat, so there is an upgrade path even for such a cheap board.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I also prefer AMD at this moment, why does this mean that he is ashamed ? And I agree on the longevity, Intel changes sockets like I change my underwear. Its obvious to me that you like Intel better, so just stop talking people down that don't prefer Intel.
so which nas do you use and how often do you change the cpu ???? ive got a few of them so far and id love to get a amd nas, (1700$) and needed to be upgraded. just bought a DAS and plugged it into a 300$ intel nuc and another DAS and going to see what happens when i plug it into a nvidia shield to give away to a friend. (dont imagine upgrading either cpu and good luck finding a nuc with a amd cpu) point me to a decent amd nas and maybe ill buy another, trying real hard to wait to see a 4000 series nuc tho.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
I also prefer AMD at this moment, why does this mean that he is ashamed ? And I agree on the longevity, Intel changes sockets like I change my underwear.
But in his exact situation, choosing between anything LGA1200 and a B450, longevity is equal at best - with a pretty big chance Intel platform will last longer.
So choosing AMD here because AMD keeps sockets for longer on average is pretty dumb.

And once again: is this really a NAS or is OP building a more universal platform that he'll try to adapt in the future? Because why would he upgrade a NAS next year? Size of his file collection may suddenly explode? He plans to adopt an unknown number of children that will multiply I/O load?

It's really not that hard to forecast how much oomph a NAS needs. So why not just buy what will last?
Its obvious to me that you like Intel better, so just stop talking people down that don't prefer Intel.
Why? It's OK to suggest AMD based on personal preference but it's not allowed to suggest Intel...?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Why? It's OK to suggest AMD based on personal preference but it's not allowed to suggest Intel...?
Its the talking down part thats not right.

@killster1 I don't have a NAS, I have no need for one. I am deaf, that leaves out music that I used to collect. Movies ? I have a DVD/Blueray collection of 3500 movies, no need there. Pictures ? I can fit all of them on a little over 64 gig , and I have multiple copies, and on disk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Drazick

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Hi,

I am looking for a new cheap NAS for home. My main goal is the use as much sata disks as I can (have pcie 6 sata card, so no need for the motherboard have tons of sata, and I have some usb to sata cases, this is not my main concern) and use ZFS, so not much RAM now, but I want to be able to have much more on future time.

For motherboard I looked for some cheap AM4 using A320, B450 and just knew A520 won't run this cpu. Main contenders were Gigabyte B450M DS3H and Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM (this has 6 sata and USB 3.1 Gen2).

The 3000G is great at $49, but it is not easy to find it at this price. This way I am here looking for hints on how to build this box. Will start using 16GB and have a mATX case for it.

Thanks for all that would jump in to help.

matheus

Hi Matheus,

Here's another option for budget approach to a solid NAS board with a good CPU (XEON), onboard VGA, onboard dual intel NIC, 32Gb ECC ram.

I recently did this with one of these; running ZFS va FreeNAS. Works great.

Very best,

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Its the talking down part thats not right.

@killster1 I don't have a NAS, I have no need for one. I am deaf, that leaves out music that I used to collect. Movies ? I have a DVD/Blueray collection of 3500 movies, no need there. Pictures ? I can fit all of them on a little over 64 gig , and I have multiple copies, and on disk.
Well most people don't actually watch bluray disks right? They watch the digital version? I'd hate to have to look through 3500 disks to find the one I want. Or perhaps you have a 3000 disk changer. ;) you have use for nas but refuse to use one. I guess it's more geared to multiuser multi room anyway. I couldn't imagine having to even wade through bluray menus to watch something.
Think u forgot to link me the amd nas I should purchase.

Hi Matheus,

Here's another option for budget approach to a solid NAS board with a good CPU (XEON), onboard VGA, onboard dual intel NIC, 32Gb ECC ram.

Very best,
Just 11 year old machine nothing to worry about there!!

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

matheusber

Jun 12, 2001

- Asus Pro B460M-C/CSM
- ASRock B460M-HDV

Hi, my only point here in choosing AMD is price and that I already have one AM4 rig here. So troubleshoot would be easier. I like most the vendor that respects buyers money the most :)

so which nas do you use and how often do you change the cpu ???? ive got a few of them so far and id love to get a amd nas, (1700$) and needed to be upgraded. just bought a DAS and plugged it into a 300$ intel nuc and another DAS and going to see what happens when i plug it into a nvidia shield to give away to a friend. (dont imagine upgrading either cpu and good luck finding a nuc with a amd cpu) point me to a decent amd nas and maybe ill buy another, trying real hard to wait to see a 4000 series nuc tho.

As told, if I choose AM4 I can change if it suits me on future. Its nothing planned from now. Its like now I can buy something that would give me more choices in the future, even though I may not need them.

But in his exact situation, choosing between anything LGA1200 and a B450, longevity is equal at best - with a pretty big chance Intel platform will last longer.
So choosing AMD here because AMD keeps sockets for longer on average is pretty dumb.

And once again: is this really a NAS or is OP building a more universal platform that he'll try to adapt in the future? Because why would he upgrade a NAS next year? Size of his file collection may suddenly explode? He plans to adopt an unknown number of children that will multiply I/O load?

It's really not that hard to forecast how much oomph a NAS needs. So why not just buy what will last?

Again, as told above, I have another AM4 already. I have another AM3 and 1150, and here I can find easily a good AM3 replacement than 1150. So that's why I tend to AMD now.

Hi Matheus,

Very best,

Hi, really a great price for a 32GB ready system, but ATX is too big for my needs. I don't know if I already said it. And a B450 mATX can let me upgrade ram if needed (may take some time to need, sure). My plan is too in using FreeNAS on it, or FreeBSD itself.

Thanks to all that helped.

In the end I got the Athlon rig. The deadline has come and I got the $49 deal on amazon for the Athlon.

Thanks!

Reactions: OTG and DAPUNISHER

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Hi, my only point here in choosing AMD is price and that I already have one AM4 rig here. So troubleshoot would be easier. I like most the vendor that respects buyers money the most :)
I'm not entirely sure how having 2 CPUs on a single socket would make troubleshooting easier. Unless of course you expect to run into the same problems on both - which must be an AMD thing because I keep reading similar stories...
As told, if I choose AM4 I can change if it suits me on future.
And once again: change it to what? Another Zen+ CPU? How is that any better than when going LGA1200?
Have you really though this through or are you just repeating stuff you've read on this forum? :)
Again, as told above, I have another AM4 already. I have another AM3 and 1150, and here I can find easily a good AM3 replacement than 1150. So that's why I tend to AMD now.
AM3(+) was AMD's main platform until 2017.
LGA1150 was phased out in 2015.

Honestly, I absolutely understand why you're drawn to the AMD offer. And I see you went that route in the end (never doubted it...). But the argumentation is pretty bonkers.
I obviously wish you the best with this machine, but I see an incoming "this and that doesn't work" or "FreeNAS not stable" topic in your future. ;)