Cheap 10"+ wifi tablet

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I ordered an Echelon bike that has a tablet holder so it's kind of a bring your own device model. The Peleton bikes have a 21" monitor with the app built-in.

I'm looking for a dedicated CHEAP tablet that can be sweated on using the bike. I want it to be relatively new so it will have capability to run software for years to come without compatibility issues. I thought about tossing Google Play on a Fire 10, but am concerned about the app locking with ads, etc. I'm pretty certain that would be difficult to avoid if you don't mess with the screen...not sure if the app would keep the window open without touching it.

What other sub $100 tablets are out there? Should I spend more for something that fits the bill way better? We have a few Fire 7s that I could test with (but the bike isn't here yet). We also have an older iPad mini that would be good, but the screen is smaller....I'd really like something 10" or bigger because of how far back the viewable distance will be while cycling.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I think the FIre HD 10 will be the best thing you can get for $100. My FIre HD 8 lets me keep the screen awake for 30 minutes at a time.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
if it's playing video the screen stays on and the fire doesn't lock. otherwise netflix would be unusable.

accguy9009

Oct 21, 2007
if it's playing video the screen stays on and the fire doesn't lock. otherwise netflix would be unusable.

I have the previous gen HD Fire 10 w/Google Play installed and have no issues w/ads. I rarely use it these days but I agree its prob your best bet for a cheap 10" tablet

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah. I know the video apps work that way and won't lock the screen. I just don't know about these fitness apps like Peleton or Echelon and whether or not they have keepalives going. Like I said, I plan on doing tests with a 2019 Fire 7 that I bought back in February as a test. If that works, then I'll. I can imagine Scamazon's tablets with Ads are more eager to lock the screen down....Once I confirm the apps keep it going, I'll feel better about a Fire 10.

That's the Echelon tablet compatibility list: