Charting the Depression, Feb 2012

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
electrical-consumption2-12a.png

In normal economic times, with normal or even sluggish growth, electricity use constantly reaches new all time highs. These are marked by the red line on the chart. So here we are, after almost 4 years of population growth and deficit-financed recovery, electricity consumption is still below its all time high.

Electricity use, like petroleum use, is a statistic they cannot fudge. We see the same thing in petro usage.

petroleum-weekly93-2011.jpg

If these real tangible indicators are falling, then we are in a declining economy. Simple point of fact. Anyone presenting statistics attempting to show a "recovery" is doing it for nefarious purposes. You really ought to be ashamed of yourselves for being slavish minions and selling your country out to help enrich the top 1%.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
So how does this theory work if individuals/companies are changing their behavior to use less resources? Also does the chart for electrical consumption take into account the increasing use of distrubted electrical generation? Companies and people generating their own power.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Is the switchover to the use of flourescent light bulbs factored into this. Seriously asking.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Does the petro account for increasing fuel efficiency or increased usage of other transportation (buses, metros, car pools, biking, mopeds, etc)?

What about more energy efficient installations in lighting, appliances, heating, etc?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Or what about the fact that we've found huge natural gas reserves in the country that are being harvested at the same time crude oil prices are hitting record highs?

Or what about the cash for clunkers program which encouraged people to trade in old gas guzzlers for newer, more efficient models?

No, the OP must be right, a few less barrells of oil means we're headed for a protracted depression. The sky is falling!!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I do recommend checking the source for at least one of those charts, gata.org.

It is impressively crazy.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Hmm through 2009 it resembles the OPs charts.

it charts something similar, but not the same thing. my chart is total energy usage, in (for some reason) kilograms of oil equivalent (wtf is wrong with bbl?)

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
lol, Paulbots are hilarious.

Do those charts take into account the increased usage of mobile products like cell phones and tablets over the last 3-4 years, which consume considerably less than the traditional laptop and desktop counterparts as they continually replace both these older models? Do those charts take into account new energy technologies like green bulbs or natural gas?

More importantly, when you wake up in the morning from your bunker and get your dose of crazy from the Internet, do you ever wonder what your life might have been like if you had attended and/or graduated college, actually attended your average social gathering (sometimes known as a "party") or perhaps even taken the leap into relationship and fucked a girl? Food for thought.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
You guys seriously need to stop the shilling and bootlicking. The source of that electrical consumption data is Barron's, not GATA. If you're going to waste your time building up straw men at least get your facts straight.

As for the advent of tablets, Chevy Volts, etc etc that is not much of a factor. Nor is the use of CFLs. Study Jevons Paradox. In a normal-functioning economy where growth is taking place, you will always have increased consumption to go with any and all increases in efficiency. Increases in efficiency lead to greater productivity, which generates wealth and thus leads to greater consumption. This is rather well documented. Increased efficiency increases living standards, but it in itself does not reduce demand or consumption of a resource.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011

More importantly, when you wake up in the morning from your bunker and get your dose of crazy from the Internet, do you ever wonder what your life might have been like if you had attended and/or graduated college, actually attended your average social gathering (sometimes known as a "party") or perhaps even taken the leap into relationship and fucked a girl? Food for thought.

Those kind of pathetic baseless groundless mindless personal insults and all other attempts at ad hominem are exactly what I would expect from the bootlickers. I'm talking about real facts and real trends and all you can respond with is a bunch of sad sorry drivel. You have no idea what you are talking about, have no evidence to support any of that nonsense, and furthermore I dont think you give two craps about facts, logic or anything else. You just lick boots and take names. Enjoy the mess your kind has made.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Do those charts take into account the increased usage of mobile products like cell phones and tablets over the last 3-4 years, which consume considerably less than the traditional laptop and desktop counterparts as they continually replace both these older models? Do those charts take into account new energy technologies like green bulbs or natural gas?

QFT. This is why the push to elect Ron Paul has reached its peak, it is their last chance as the group is composed entirely of virgins and has no means of reproduction to further increase its numbers, the number of new unique recruits isn't keeping pace with the number of virgins dying leaving no offspring to carry on the message.

PSA Paulbots! Get off zerohedge, oftwominds, mises.org and IMPREGNATE WOMEN!

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Those kind of pathetic baseless groundless mindless personal insults and all other attempts at ad hominem are exactly what I would expect from the bootlickers. I'm talking about real facts and real trends and all you can respond with is a bunch of sad sorry drivel. You have no idea what you are talking about, have no evidence to support any of that nonsense, and furthermore I dont think you give two craps about facts, logic or anything else. You just lick boots and take names. Enjoy the mess your kind has made.

Hey now, he did study economics at a school where only 75% of the economists there worked at one point or another for the federal reserve as opposed to the standard 95%. I'd go so far as to say that anything he says completely lacks any bias at all.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
QFT. This is why the push to elect Ron Paul has reached its peak, it is their last chance as the group is composed entirely of virgins and has no means of reproduction to further increase its numbers, the number of new unique recruits isn't keeping pace with the number of virgins dying leaving no offspring to carry on the message.

You too have no idea what you are talking about. You are spewing mindless unsourced unsubstantiated garbage with absolutely no basis in fact. The movement will continue to grow as more and more people see that the kind of crap you are spewing doesnt do anyone any good and is only used as an attempt to mask the truth and deflect from any actual debate of actual facts because you know you damn well cant win on the facts.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
You too have no idea what you are talking about. You are spewing mindless unsourced unsubstantiated garbage with absolutely no basis in fact. The movement will continue to grow as more and more people see that the kind of crap you are spewing doesnt do anyone any good and is only used as an attempt to mask the truth and deflect from any actual debate of actual facts because you know you damn well cant win on the facts.

Jesus broski. I was being sarcastic. Read my next post and my previous 1k posts!

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Sarcasm on a political board where hoards of shills and nazi wannabe brownshirts are busy ripping this country to shreds is not a good idea.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
You guys seriously need to stop the shilling and bootlicking...

Those kind of pathetic baseless groundless mindless personal insults and all other attempts at ad hominem are exactly what I would expect from the bootlickers... You just lick boots and take names. Enjoy the mess your kind has made.

Boots.
We lick them.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
As for the advent of tablets, Chevy Volts, etc etc that is not much of a factor. Nor is the use of CFLs. Study Jevons Paradox. In a normal-functioning economy where growth is taking place, you will always have increased consumption to go with any and all increases in efficiency. Increases in efficiency lead to greater productivity, which generates wealth and thus leads to greater consumption. This is rather well documented. Increased efficiency increases living standards, but it in itself does not reduce demand or consumption of a resource.

The evidence you have for this is non-existent, save for some obscure, unproveable theory no one particularly credible believes. I hate to break it to you, but it's a simple mathematical certainty that people consume less energy if they use products that consume less energy. For example, my personal total electrical consumption has gone down since I replaced my desktop with a tablet and my laptop with a phone. I'm not going to consume any additional energy because the Jevons Paradox says I will. I have reached a plateau where my energy consumption cannot increase because I get no usefulness or utility from it.

I didn't make any mess, loony toons.

Impregnating women and being in a relationship (more the latter than the former) tends to soften and offset the crazy (unless you're marrying like kind). Discussing divergent viewpoints with people, mostly in person, and considering them seriously has the same effect. Especially in a 9-5 workplace atmosphere. That's what happens when you immerse yourself in the real world.

Hey now, he did study economics at a school where only 75% of the economists there worked at one point or another for the federal reserve as opposed to the standard 95%. I'd go so far as to say that anything he says completely lacks any bias at all.

lol, you conspiracy theory Paulbots truly are funny.

In actuality, I've never had a professor that worked for the Fed save for one.

Last edited: