Charter sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proprioceptive

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2006
So we've had Mediacom for a while and pay $72/mo for 15/2 internet and expanded basic cable. We decided a few weeks ago that we're going to go with a deal that came in the mail for Charter's 5/1 internet with basic 20 channel tv for $39.98/mo. I figured a $30 decrease in bill was worth it since we don't use the non broadcast channels very much and I don't necessarily need a blazing internet speed. I call Mediacom, cancel, and order the Charter... the installation guy shows up today, drops the cable makes sure everything is working and says we're good to go. I write him a $109 check (first month's bill plus installation and leftovers) and he's out.

Now, I didn't even have to ask the salesperson on the phone what I was getting with the deal from Charter. They explicitly told me "so, you're getting our 5/1 internet with basic cable... that's 20 channels and your monthly bill will be $45 (with cable modem)."

...after the installer leaves, I check my speeds and see I'm getting 2.5 down MAX and barely 128k up. At this point I call tech support to see what's wrong and they tell me they don't even offer 5/1 internet in our area and that they only offer 3/128k... and I'm barely even getting 3! I call back to cancel the service and the sales lady starts arguing with me about how I'm wrong and that they don't even offer 3MB service anywhere anymore. After some argument from my side, she finally looks it up and realizes she's wrong. At this point I tell her I want to cancel the service and have everything refunded since I was not receiving even half the service i was told I'd be getting. At this point she begins to ask me why I need such a fast connection and wants to know what I'm downloading and uploading. WTF?? I told her that what I DL and UL is none of her business. She then tells me she can make sure I am not charged for service, but that the installation will still be charged ($49) since the service was installed... WTMFW??? I told her I had better get a FULL refund because the installed services weren't even what was supposed to be installed. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she cut me off and told me that I needed to speak to the local office about the refund.

Needless to say, I'm pissed beyond belief with Charter. I called Mediacom today and told them to cancel the cancellation order. Hell, I wasn't even receiving the 20 channels they said I would... only EIGHT!:rolleyes: Charter will never get my business again.

Cliffs: :twisted:
-ORdered Charter services (slower but cheaper)
-Services installed not even half the speed of advertised speeds and find out the advertised speeds aren't even available in our area
-rude salesperson
-switched back
-CHARTER SUCKS

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Charter is in bankruptcy for a reason, they suck the worse than Comcast.
Call the bank and stop payment on the check.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/plan_choice.adp

aol.jpg

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
1. You believed what a provider told you
2. You didn't check your installed service before the installer left.
3. You expected to get actual service from an internet provider tech support.
I'm disappoint

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
What part of "up to" don't you understand?

Yep. Speeds are a maximum, not a minimum or an average.

But yes, charter does suck more than just about anything - more so for their television "service" than their internet IMO. The phone operators at Directv have forgotten more about quality television service than all of the employees at charter combined will ever know in 100 lifetimes.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What part of my post did you not understand? Oh, the part where the advertised speed isn't even available in my area? Oh yeah.... fail read is fail():)

I say again. Up...To.

Look, I know it sucks and your frustration is being taken out but you had a perfectly fine service that you were happy with. You just wanted to cut some costs. You switched to cut costs and found it didn't meet your needs so you came back to mama cable. Go-go-gadget competition.

I'll also note that speed test sites are extremely unreliable.

Last edited:

Proprioceptive

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2006
I say again. Up...To.

Look, I know it sucks and your frustration is being taken out but you had a perfectly fine service that you were happy with. You just wanted to cut some costs. You switched to cut costs and found it didn't meet your needs so you came back to mama cable. Go-go-gadget competition.

I'll also note that speed test sites are extremely unreliable.

Wow... seriously... just :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.