Charlie Hebdo shooting simulated with paintball pistols in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
http://kxan.com/2015/01/14/texas-gun-owners-re-enact-charlie-hebdo-massacre/
PLANO, Texas (CNN/KTVT) — Some Texas gun owners decided to stage a re-enactment of the Charlie Hebdo office massacre. They wanted to see what might have happened if the victims had their own guns. Two actors playing gunmen enter quietly. They’re on a set designed to look like the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris. But unlike the terrorist attack that killed 12 people, in this exercise, volunteers are taking turns in the role of an armed civilian inside.

“He started shooting, and I started shooting,” said gun owner Linda Cruz.

Time and time again, that armed civilian dies — shot by a round that marks him or her with paint. In only two cases, they were able to take out one of two gunmen in the process.

~snip~

In the end, only one of the 12 volunteer victims in the exercise survived. And it was because she ran away. No one was able to take out both mock shooters.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-p...on-staged-re-enactment-charlie-hebdo-shooting

Over at The Truth About Guns website, the organization doesn’t mince words: “Charlie Hebdo Shooting Sim Shows More Than One Gun Is Needed” is the title of the post that recaps the re-enactment, as none of the participants were able to stop both of the shooters.
In fact, according to a recap of the event from KXAN, only two of the gun enthusiasts at the event were able to stop even one shooter.

Obviously there needs to be many more people required to be armed and have a CCW permit to stop a Charlie Hebdo like attack in the U.S. There also will need to be equal representation of arms... so that there is no civil unrest.

Table napkin math indicates 40% of each minority group as well as 40% of the majority group having to be armed is a good starting number to reduce the chances of an attack like the one in Paris to near zero.

Either that or allow upstanding citizens to conceal carry compact machine pistols so they are on even footing with terrorists who of course ignore firearms regulations.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If I were allowed to keep an M1A in my trunk with military FMJ then I would be happy.

Oh wait, I CAN!

WOOT!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Haha. Nice experiment. Clearly they were looking for a result where a "good guy with a gun" saved the day. When that didn't happen did they reconsider its utility? Of course not. They just decided you need even more guns.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
Either that or allow upstanding citizens to conceal carry compact machine pistols so they are on even footing with terrorists who of course ignore firearms regulations.

Machine pistols are an awful idea for personal defense. If the euros want to remain disarmed while "bad guys" can apparently easily get kalashnikovs and grenades from eastern Europe then I'll be happy to observe the result when the "authorities" try to talk gunmen down with strong (but non-discriminatory) words and fast food. Before some wise ass points out that the gunman in that case was talked down, the score for the French in barely more than a week span is 12:2.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
http://kxan.com/2015/01/14/texas-gun-owners-re-enact-charlie-hebdo-massacre/

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-p...on-staged-re-enactment-charlie-hebdo-shooting

Obviously there needs to be many more people required to be armed and have a CCW permit to stop a Charlie Hebdo like attack in the U.S. There also will need to be equal representation of arms... so that there is no civil unrest.

Table napkin math indicates 40% of each minority group as well as 40% of the majority group having to be armed is a good starting number to reduce the chances of an attack like the one in Paris to near zero.

While I appreciate the sim, things tend to happen a bit different when you know what is going to happen beforehand. I'm not up on the latest paintball guns but aren't they very very big compared to rather compact pistols, making them much harder to conceal, much easier to see before they are aimed at the target and since the gunman already has his ready to fire much easier for him to take the shooter out before the shooter gets off a shot or two. I'd like to think that in a chaotic situation like that I could get my rather compact pistol out and fire on the target at least once before he knew I had a gun.

I do agree that one armed civilian versus two armed bad guys who are hell bent on slaughtering people has pretty bad odds.

I'd be much more interested in seeing a Virginia Tech sort of situation ran in a similar "sim".

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
It may well have been completely ineffective, but I'd rather die with a slim chance than be cut down with no chance at all:\

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
I am all for carrying a gun - be it concealed, strapped to your hip or holstered or whatever. I don't care. You should be allowed to carry a handgun, if you want to or feel you want to. Permits and laws followed, etc. everyone should be allowed to carry a handgun.

Rifles are another story.

Anyway, the notion that carrying a weapon will 'save the day' is utter bullshit. There is no need to thump your cock on the keyboard and type out; "Hur dur had dem own guns, dem dur nhat hur bun keeeled!!!shift+1!!!".

Using a handgun in real life to defend yourself is not like a quick match of Call of Duty. It is not like the Matrix. It is not like the gun range. It is not even like a paintball match. Because a hot piece of lead can:
1) kill you upon impact
2) hurt so bad you'll just lose your shit and not be able to fight back

And, the rush of danger can just lock you up or render you as ineffective.

Other variables as well; misfires, bad piece of ammo, lack of training.

None of this means we should dismiss the idea of carrying a gun, but, let us please stop pretending that carrying a gun will automatically ensure you survive an attack by a group of heavily armed maniacs.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Clearly we need automated gunner drones that will react quicker. But with machine learning, so every time they kill someone by mistake they update the algorithm.

Status
Not open for further replies.