Changing web browser when searching via start Win 10

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Hi hope someone can assist me here please.

I’ve made it so Microsoft Edge is disabled and that my default browser is Google Chrome.

Despite this if I press start then select an item it will attempt to utilise ME.

If I get a message from Microsoft on my pc and I click it, it attempts to utilise ME also.

I’ve followed quite a few online “tutorials” but none work.

Last one I was following sent me to my Chrome settings where they appeared to be able to amend it there also. I was unable.

Can anyone tell me if I can make it so my default will be G Chrome and not by the usual procedures as these aren’t working?

Thank you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, with the expiration of the "Consent Decree", between Microsoft, and the US Federal Gov't, MS has become "emboldened" to pull this crap.

I read about this, MS is now pushing Edge for "system-type" tasks. It IGNORES your USER PREFERENCE and ALWAYS uses Edge. Sorry.

Maybe consider installing Linux Mint instead? An OS that you can actually keep control over?

Edit: Yes, that's right. In the newest versions of Windows 10, there isn't anything that you can do about this behavior. Unless you like hacking .DLLs or something.

Reactions: dvtrv

dvtrv

Jun 26, 2011
Well, with the expiration of the "Consent Decree", between Microsoft, and the US Federal Gov't, MS has become "emboldened" to pull this crap.

I read about this, MS is now pushing Edge for "system-type" tasks. It IGNORES your USER PREFERENCE and ALWAYS uses Edge. Sorry.

Maybe consider installing Linux Mint instead? An OS that you can actually keep control over?

Edit: Yes, that's right. In the newest versions of Windows 10, there isn't anything that you can do about this behavior. Unless you like hacking .DLLs or something.

Understood.
Thanks so much for your answer and giving me insite as to why.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wonder if you couldn't rename the edge .exe, then symlink the correct name to chrome?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder if you couldn't rename the edge .exe, then symlink the correct name to chrome?
That might work, on an OS as "primitive" (filesystem-oriented) as Linux, but Windows uses DDE and COM. So, no, that won't work in Windows.