Changing from NVIDIA to ATI drivers question

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
Hey guys, I am running 8800GTS 320MB right now and considering upgrading to 4870 1GB once that comes out (unless GTX260+ offers better performance and is available at around the same time frame). I have heard that when switching companies from NVIDIA to ATI or vise versa you need to completely remove your drivers from the previous card (rather than just installing the new drivers over the old as you would in driver update).

I have heard that simple uninstall of drivers is not enough. What do you guys do what you do a chance like that?

Thanks.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: phexac
Hey guys, I am running 8800GTS 320MB right now and considering upgrading to 4870 1GB once that comes out (unless GTX260+ offers better performance and is available at around the same time frame). I have heard that when switching companies from NVIDIA to ATI or vise versa you need to completely remove your drivers from the previous card (rather than just installing the new drivers over the old as you would in driver update).

I have heard that simple uninstall of drivers is not enough. What do you guys do what you do a chance like that?

Thanks.

I did this last month when I installed my 4870,what I did was uninstall Nvidia drivers via Control panel,reboot into safe mode run Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper for any left over Nvidia driver files,once that has finished shut down PC install new 4870 card and boot up,if by chance you still have any Nvidia DLL file trying to load at desktop you can remove them via Regedit(just make a note of the file name).