Article Changes Coming in the Video Card Reviewer Industry — HardOCP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
About the YT merch thing, it is of course tempting no matter your size because its additional revenue.

But I do think that its pushed more by bigger channels. Without naming anyone, I don't think the quality of the output is at all proportional to how many people they employ. Some choose to go big which will admittedly allow them to do some things that others can't do, but simply for decent reviews, low drama, and earnest effort I'd rather watch small channels that are focused on the hardware and less on the operation.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
As I understand it, hardware reviewers kept hardware manufacturers (more) honest (e.g. quack.exe, micro-stuttering). I think they're essential to the process.

I'd be happy to do a Patreon-type contribution to a decent hardware reviewer (though I would want to specify the amount I'll regularly donate), especially if it meant keeping text+image format rather than the standard YouTube-type format.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
@mindless1

Cheap ass routers work for some remedial connectivity where you're just surfing the web or watching cat videos.

Can't see the forest for the trees. I work online as a profession, and there's none of this nonsense of "cheap ass" as a class, being all purpose built routers. On the contrary, it's kind of idiotic to pay a premium then surf web forums with it as you're doing. Extremely inefficient and needs nothing more than 10Mb, let alone the default 1Gb these days.

When you venture into more aspects of networking though it becomes a bottleneck to deal with when there's smore bandwidth waiting for you for free.

This is a highly subjective situation that does not apply to the vast majority of owners, whether it be because they don't get another 50% bandwidth for free, or don't pretend they needed it. Outside of P2P use or hosting sites, most people find the other end or internet pipes, far more of a congestion than this.

With a 1gbps plan you can actually get more by enabling more than 1gbps of connections to the modem.

By bundling 2 ports together i get another 50% in download speeds to 1.5gbps at no extra charge.

In speed tests. In most common/practical uses, you are just wasting money and power.

Now there are modems being released with 2.5GE and routers with 2.5GE (WAN) but, then you get screwed on the LAN with 1GE ports.

Without a specific scenario where your mission depends on what you're suggesting is important, it's all just a waste of money and power.

Cheap routers won't get you the best speeds if you're hooking up a NAS to them either as their backplane usually bottlenecks things giving you slow speeds on the LAN.

With the power savings alone of a "normal", modern router, it more than pays for the cost of dedicated switches so the router only has to route.

However, you might be stuck in the dark ages or making false presumptions. "Best speeds" is an elusive thing and waste if it's not the bottleneck. I can appreciate that networking has gone beyond 1Gb, but not that you benefit much from a router that can do it rather than the LAN switches.

It reads very much like you can't process numbers and make sense of them, so just take a monkey attitude that bigger number is better no matter the cost in money or power to get there.

If you are running a custom firewall or more on your router, something a regular contemporary off the store shelf router can't do, then it makes sense, but to try to pretend that a PC makes sense for what a modern purpose built router can also do with custom firmware, is madness for all but very niche applications. They do exist, these applications, but if you don't mention them as the reason, it is wasting peoples' time.

PS - It is a very unusual situation you have, if you are paying for Gb speed, and anything you do (besides criminally hacking the modem firmware) results in more than that. It is not, at all, a typical outcome.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I work online as a profession,
I make your online work.

it's kind of idiotic to pay a premium then surf web forums with it as you're doing.
I do more than that or I would have kept it dirt cheap and simply used my phone.

(besides criminally hacking the modem firmware)
I don't need to hack anything. It works out of the box w/ 4 ports. You simply login and toggle a couple of things and reboot to enable the binding of the ports for faster speeds.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I make your online work.
O Rly? Do elaborate.

Again, a very unique situation if you fein a need, not some reason to feel like a purpose specific router (appliance) is anything other than ideal, optimized for its purpose.

The vast majority of people with a 1Gb ISP plan, cannot do that, won't work. ISP imposes the upper limit based on the paid plan tier.

A phone is for internet access is not "dirt cheap". Cheap would be using open wifi. Everything you've written seems to fall within the context of being excessive.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Do elaborate.
I've worked for several major ISP's / Cell providers on their networks to keep things running and upgrade them for serving millions of people nationwide. Deploying new technologies within their networks to get the performance we see today.

Working in networking and being able to stay connected while performing maintenance functions to the networks is a priority to get them completed while people aren't using them in the middle of the night. Being able to move the files / software needed to the devices I'm working on in an expedited manner makes for a quicker resolution. The less downtime involved means greater resiliency being put back online faster.

ISP imposes the upper limit based on the paid plan tier.
While you see this with sub 1gbps plans the provider always over provisions the speed for the plan. This reduces the need to interact with the customer when they don't see near or above speeds when testing their connection. Taking into account the overhead the average user doesn't consider. Typically there's a 10-20% buffer on top of the plan speed to keep the complaints from coming in.

-----------------
Back to the cheap router. Companies making these devices aren't putting premium parts into them as they try to wring out the most from the least amount of investment possible to make a profit. The 4-5 ports on the back for LAN access at a retail level can be bought for under $10 in a prepackaged dumb switch which translates to a couple of dollars for a bulk supplier. The radios being used are just as cheap if you take a QCA / RTL setup in the M2 format for AC you can get them for under $20 and at bulk pricing maybe $5. The software isn't really all that special as it's Linux based with a pretty skin placed on top for the GUI. Plastic molding per piece is pennies beyond the cost of the die to make them which can be costly but, the parts themselves are cheap.

So, we're talking about a $10 OEM cost for something they turn around and charge $100's for. When moving to AX though their costs might rise to $15-$20 and charging $500+ for a device.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Purpose specific devices built to do exactly what they're supposed to, are not "cheap" in some negative way, rather it is wasteful overkill of both hardware and power to not recognize they evolved to be great at what they are designed to do.

You seem like someone who would buy a Ferrari then try to wring more power out of the engine, in order to use it to get groceries. It's a waste.

We've gone too far off on a tangent, not the topic of this thread.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
His main point was people will buy off brand loyalty and a recommendation from a youtube influencer not by reading all the reviews. That's basically been the case for ever - most people buy using gpu maker or board partner brand loyalty and/or off the recommendation of someone they trust (often a friend). It's only ever been a small % of buyers who can be bothered to read all the reviews and participate in forums like this, and even amongst them I would say a lot of them are loyal to a gpu maker or board partner.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If I were under 40 and read that, I'd be insulted. He is unfortunately correct however, that people do not read anymore. I have seen surveys that point to "Idiocracy" being in progress. Hence, no one under 40 will read it? :p Any written content is in trouble though, no doubt. His prognostications concerning tech tubers? Well, I don't share his POV on that topic.

The views being down so much, is due to market conditions we are all aware of. Remove those conditions, and views will increase again. Few want to watch content about GPUs they can't buy without selling a kidney, and getting bent over by scalpers. And aside from 12th gen, the CPU market has been fairly unexciting for a long while too. Pricing and availability has also been less than ideal, which compounds the lack of interest.

Tech tubers are going to be around a long time yet. E.G. Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed; both have doubled their subs in the last couple of years, despite the chaotic market they cover. All it took was a push from LTT and Jay, and some good old fashioned IHV drama. Or in GN's case, some good consumer advocacy helped a lot too.

How the day one thing shakes out? I don't care, even a little. If some reviewers get better access, and scoop everyone else? I would ignore whomever got that level of access. And I would prefer reviewers had to buy everything off the shelf, as we do. No swag, no cherry picked models, no ideas from the manufacturers about editorial directions.

The prediction that younger buyers will depend on influencers for purchases? Duh. It has always been thus, at least in my lifetime. Sports stars got me to eat Wheaties. That cereal is nasty. :D And brand loyalty is nothing new either. When and where I grew up, it was Ford v. Chevy. v. Dodge. It didn't keep the smart ones from reading car mags, or talking to their mechanic friends about a potential purchase though. Nothing has changed.

There is a whole new generation of PC DIYers, and they are every bit as interested in the topic as we are. LTT is buying a bunch of expensive testing hardware, and so is GN. It isn't primarily for our crusty crowd. Many of you won't even watch the vids. Certainly techtubers will fail, but that is more because they are shameless shills, boring, and talentless. Quality content creators will keep growing.

Cases in point - RandomGamingInHD, BudgetBuildsOfficial, and zWORMz Gaming. They are average joes, buying cheap and used stuff mostly, then testing it. Their channels continue to grow, because they are providing the content that is relevant to most young gamers, and not just in N.A. I know if I lived in a country where these GPUs cost a month or more of my wages, I would not even watch the content. But these guys testing stuff I can afford would have my attention.

Anyways, I wrote more than people will read now too. If you made it here, congrats, you are old like me.

- As someone under 40... what? That was a lot of words, could you put that into a video format? I don't understand anything without prefacing it with "AND REMEMBER TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON!"

I personally think its pretty typical dooming on the part of the OP article. The GPU industry is a big boy now. Its more than old enough to drink, get married, and have kids. The early wild west days of the industry are fading into the rearview mirror and the huge leaps and innovation is starting to give way to those steady predictable product cycles/features/etc.

All the same, the industries surrounding the industry are maturing as well. We're seeing some serious consolidation and we've already lost of a ton of of the classic HW review sitse as there are less and less niches in a maturing industry and the heavyweights that really approached the journalism side like a business have managed to cling on. Innovate or die. We're literally watching AT's front page die before our eyes as their content cycle slips further and further behind and they lose their one competitive niche (hardware deep dives).

The DIY element that overclocking and system tweaking once fulfilled is now being catered to by case customization: Liquid cooling loops, RGBeverything, etc.

This whole thing will keep on lurching forward, but instead of 500 different car mags, we'll have 5, each carving out their own lucrative niche.

Reactions: CP5670

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
About the YT merch thing, it is of course tempting no matter your size because its additional revenue.

But I do think that its pushed more by bigger channels. Without naming anyone, I don't think the quality of the output is at all proportional to how many people they employ. Some choose to go big which will admittedly allow them to do some things that others can't do, but simply for decent reviews, low drama, and earnest effort I'd rather watch small channels that are focused on the hardware and less on the operation.
I've ordered from merch stores. (stock photo of one of the things I ordered below). I have no issues with those stores because it means the author is not dependent on advertising revenue.

1643858468873.png

Reactions: coercitiv

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Some interesting thoughts. He is right that the hardware review sites will disappear (it has already happened), and as someone else said there is less differentiation in the hardware to begin with these days. I'm actually surprised there are so many different motherboards, memory, AIB video cards, etc. I think the brands (ROG, Corsair, etc.) will become more important than performance or price, and people will buy stuff according to the brand they like.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Let's be honest, we all here always came to Anandtech's reviews to scroll and see the graphs, to see the results.

Of course here on Anandtech you could also read deep dives to know and understand how the piece of tech being review works, but this was one of Anandtech's goals, this was never the goal of all these new reviewers. Their goal is just present the results in a clear and comprehensive way to people that do not need to understand how the tech works.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I can't claim to understand all of the deep dive reviews on AT, but I certainly read them. Its not that hard to read the whole thing when a new CPU architecture arrives every 12 months or something (counting both AMD and Intel). If you're going to at least make an effort to engage in your interest/hobby then you can watch YT the rest of the year but trying to understand the architecture is a worthwhile effort.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I do not imagine that once a year (being generous here) deep dive into a new architecture is going to produce enough articles / clicks to pay the bills for an entire year.