Changes coming again for bigadv Folding

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
EDIT: SEE THIS THREAD FOR NEW INFORMATION UPDATE --> http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2364523

Just saw this posted on Stanford's page and thought I would forward the info.

Starting Feb 17, 24 cores will be required for bigadv Folding, then April 17 the number will climb to 32 (which will eliminate my dual CPUs since I only have 24 threads).

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/changes-to-the-bigadv-threshold/

Seems like we're being pushed into GPU Folding, maybe I should look at another 780.

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
That is unfortunate. People invest a lot of money in dual CPU machines. I wonder if they will eventually phase out bigadv?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
FoldingForum has a big thread on this.
7im said:
For a few thousand dollars, you can build either a 4P System and run BigAdv, or a 4 GPU system, and pull down around 800K PPD with either one.
But the way things are going, a BigAdv system will be dropped to the much slower SMP quickly, while a GPU system should maintain its speed - newer GPUs just being even faster. So it seems like GPU folding is the way to go.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
The politics behind the BigAdv points is why I have moved to BOINC projects. Still, I miss generating massive points.

GPUs will definitely be more flexible - easy to upgrade and many DC rigs can accommodate at least two cards. I tried to ask for a 780 Ti for Christmas but my wife said no. Something about a baby on the way...

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
GPUs will definitely be more flexible - easy to upgrade and many DC rigs can accommodate at least two cards. I tried to ask for a 780 Ti for Christmas but my wife said no. Something about a baby on the way...

LOL, congratulations on the baby. :thumbsup:

It is hard to stay ahead of the game in Folding for sure. I'm sort of glad I didn't take the plunge on the bigadv multicore band wagon. I'll admit envy of the folks that are cranking out the credits but just couldn't pull the trigger. Of course jumping into the deep end with Linux helped make up my mind also.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Something about a baby on the way...

Yes, congrats. After the F@H race in Dec, perhaps I can throw a few points your way in honour (*), to make up for the 780.

(*) Firefox in Ubuntu claimed that the Americanized spelling of "honor" was incorrect.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Thanks guys and I'm "honored" Larry! I had a wishlist on Newegg a few years back with a SR2 and a couple Xeon processors, and I'm glad I didn't buy it either. With the way things are going, you'll be lucky to get a year or two before Stanford decides to change the rules again.