slobber

Jan 21, 2005
Hey,

The VNF4/ULTRA manual says:

"Due to CPU specifications limitation, two DDR400 memory
modules inserted into DIMM1/3, three DDR400 into DIMM1/2/3,
or four DDR400 into DIMM1/2/3/4 is not recommended."

So you can't load up the DIMMS?

I assume that if I get 2x512 I should put them is sloft 1 and 2....then I can never add memory? The manual is *VERY* lacking.

I also downloaded the memory compatibilty PDF file. It is also vague about the details. FOr example it claims to support 512MB PC3200 from mushkin, but gives NO part numbers.

thanks guys,

Silversierra

Jan 25, 2005
I think the new beta bios allows all dimms to be filled. I know what you mean when you say the memory chart is vague. I ended up just buying a brand on the list because I couldn't tell exactly what to get. I'll have to post my results when I get my mobo and memory. I ordered kingmax memory.

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: slobber
Hey,

The VNF4/ULTRA manual says:

"Due to CPU specifications limitation, two DDR400 memory
modules inserted into DIMM1/3, three DDR400 into DIMM1/2/3,
or four DDR400 into DIMM1/2/3/4 is not recommended."

So you can't load up the DIMMS?

I assume that if I get 2x512 I should put them is sloft 1 and 2....then I can never add memory? The manual is *VERY* lacking.

I also downloaded the memory compatibilty PDF file. It is also vague about the details. FOr example it claims to support 512MB PC3200 from mushkin, but gives NO part numbers.

thanks guys,

OK, here is the deal on the 4 memory slots with this board (and this applies to ALL Nforce4 boards). The Nforce spec does NOT allow for running 4 DIMMS at 400MHZ in dual channel at a 1T command rate for most memory modules (I am told that DIMMS with chips on only 1 side of the PCB are supported, and those with chips on both sides are not, but I have not been able to confirm this myself, not having any single sided DIMMS).

Any Nforce4 board which has all 4 slots filled with 400MHZ RAM in Dual Channel mode will set the RAM speed to 333MHZ as if the ram were PC2700 instead of PC3200, and will impose a 2T command rate. Most of the boards (including the Chaintech) will simply allow you to set the speed of the RAM back to 400MHZ in BIOS, BUT the RAM cannot (to my knowledge) be set back to a 1T command rate. This incurs somewhat of a performance hit, since RAM at 1T will be able to function much faster than RAM at 2T, BUT the performance increase from the extra RAM may outwieigh this (This was the case for me, I get better benchmarks with my Kingston HyperX at 4 x 512MB in 2T than 2 X 512MB 1T).

The reason that they do not recommend using 3 DIMMS is that it cannot run the third DIMM in dual channel (since there is only 1 stick of RAM in that channel). I have heard conflicting stories from people as to whether there is really a negative impact from this or not, and again, the performance benefit from an extra stick of RAM may outweigh the loss from having 1 stick in single channel). Putting 2 DIMMS into slots 1 and 3 is simply not recommended because you will not be able to run them in dual channel mode (since each will be on it's own channel).

So basically, the reason they do not recommend these configurations is because there is a potential performance loss, BUT the RAM and the board WILL work in these configurations. It is up to you whether you want to be brave and try them out. Myself, I bought my second 2 RAM sticks before finding out that the board did not fully support 4 DIMMS. Given the chance, I would have sold my old 2 sticks, and just bought 2 1GB sticks of RAM, but it was too late for me.

Also, do not necessarily put too much credence in thier supported RAM list. This is merely a list of all of the DIMMS that they have gotten around to extensively testing with this board. I have heard from tons of people who successfully use this board with value and no-name-brand RAM without a problem. Some of them mixing multiple no-name makers and/or RAM sizes without any problems. So do not sweat that, and just be aware that the 4 DIMMS issue is for ALL Nforce4 boards.

Silversierra

Jan 25, 2005
So why does the board have 4 dimms then? I guess to make people think it's upgradeable before they buy it only to find out it only works at 333.

Silversierra

Jan 25, 2005
Man, I only ordered 2x256mb because I was planning on getting another gig later. Well that messes things up. I guess my plan will still work, but only in ddr333 and at 2T (by the way what actually is 2T). How much performance difference is there between 512mb, 1gb, 1.5gb and 2gb? I saw somewhere that upgrades over 1gb. have only a slight improvement in performance. True?

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Silversierra
So why does the board have 4 dimms then? I guess to make people think it's upgradeable before they buy it only to find out it only works at 333.

It WILL work at 400MHZ, all you have to do is go into the BIOS and set the RAM speed there -- there is no risk/harm in doing this, and the only reason that the board sets it to 333 is that 4 DIMMS at 400MHZ in dual channel is not officially supported (although it can be easily done).

As far as command rate, this is (I believe) how fast the RAM can send/recieve information. The reason the board has to set it to 2T for it to work is that you will saturate the memory bus using 4 dual channel dimms (or so I was told).

And the board WILL work with 3 dimms filled, it just has to run the 3rd dimms in single channel mode.

Silversierra

Jan 25, 2005
The kingmax 2x256 super ram works with my vnf4ultra in dual ddr400 at 1T with default timings of 2.5-4-4-8. It is also single sided.

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
the new Rev E0 chips will allow 4 full speed DIMMS to be used. I'm not sure if they have to all match, or if each pair just has to match, though. This will likely require a new bios update, though. Still, this is good news for those looking for an upgrade to dual core next year, since they will all have this new tech. As for the new bios, there was a new beta one posted on 1-26-05. I switched to it, and it's much better. The memory problems i've been having, and the general instability are totally gone. In fact, I can even overclock pretty well. I highly recommend the new bios.

On another note, does using dual sided memory or running a memory divider affect 1T/2T settings? Cause for the life of me I can't get 1T timings on my current setup (see my sig). I've heard people saying that the 1T/2T thing is broken, i was wondering if this is true or if i can somehow get it to work with 1T.

Idlorj

Sep 17, 2003
Is the the correct dual channel for two sticks of RAM slots 1 & 2? Looking at the board you would think that it would be one stick in each color stlot.

akassasin

Jan 30, 2005
Has anyone tried Corsair ValueRAM on this motherboard? If someone knows anything about compatability with this RAM please tell me before my 30 day return time for the ram runs out! thanks
(still waiting for the board to get here so i cant test it)

AnnoyedGrunt

Jan 31, 2004
Corsair Value RAM works fine.

Just got my comp running with it, and no problems. I have the CAS 2.5 version of RAM.

Dual channel is two of the SAME color BTW (for Idlorj).

-D'oh!

Idlorj

Sep 17, 2003
Here is a response from Chaintech for your question.

Dear sir,

For dual channel effect, you must place it in slots 1&2 or 3&4 using the
same type of memory. Please ensure you have the latest bios for this
board.

Chaintech Tech Support