Chain E-mail Delivers Unexpectedly

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I have a long-time friend who was always a bit crazy and therefore always a ton of fun. Also a guy you could literally trust your life with. Off and on over the years he's sent me stupid right-wing tinged chain e-mails. The good thing is that he will still listen to me when I Snopes them for him.

So his latest -- from a purported 93 year old "Captain Jerry YELLIN" no less -- said this below (bolding mine) and my eyes once again rolled back in my head:

"I think you'll enjoy listening to what this fellow has to say.
This clip of the Last Fighter Pilot, is probably not what you’re expecting, but it’s only four min long, so give it
a try, you may be surprised.
Jerry Yellen is 93 years old. Watch until the end, it's not what you expect!"

Turns out, I WAS surprised, and quite pleasantly so!

Imho, it's worth the 4 minutes of your time:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Nice, Dave. My dad was on Iwo Jima, that gave me chills when he talked about being there.

Reactions: Perknose

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Nice, Dave. My dad was on Iwo Jima, that gave me chills when he talked about being there.
Bob's Uncle was a Japanese POW. He survived horrific conditions. I told him how much I liked it, and he sent me a pic from his ultralight in return. For years, he's been campaigning for me to get one, too. For a time, I was really intrigued, but it's probably not gonna' happen.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dang. Yet another one of those things that makes me go "I have nothing to complain about, ever".

Despite our modern-day problems, we live in a such a gifted society these days. I've never been drafted or had to kill anybody. I have food & air-conditioning. I'm free to work as much as I want in whatever job I want & pursue any education I want. Really, the only barriers are the ones I put in front of myself, mentally. I say that because it makes you realize just how entitled we are when we whine about stuff, after hearing what guys like this went through...their PTSD was so bad that it screwed up the better part of their lives...and then we hop online & complain about things like cyber-bullying, like we can't just unplug our computers & go do something else, lol.

That's one of the reasons I started the reverse first-world problems thread...we tend to get overly-focused on the bad things in our lives, or over-inflate the minor inconveniences, that we lose sight of all of the GOOD stuff we have!

Reactions: Perknose

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Dang. Yet another one of those things that makes me go "I have nothing to complain about, ever".

Despite our modern-day problems, we live in a such a gifted society these days.

[...]

That's one of the reasons I started the reverse first-world problems thread...we tend to get overly-focused on the bad things in our lives, or over-inflate the minor inconveniences, that we lose sight of all of the GOOD stuff we have!

Yup. We are victims of "rising expectations" wherein all that we have and effortlessly enjoy is taken for granted. Oddly enough, that's what I think the insular and geriatric leadership of the Communist Party in China is starting to face and will soon face full force . . . the "rising expectations" of their populace for some semblance of the "rule of law" and a true social safety net, not to mention a livable and relatively healthy environment.

All these Little Princes raised under the "single child policy," having never experienced the depradations of their parents and grandparents, will be demanding their government reform and deliver. One billion angry Chinese will have to be listened to. ;)