Centrino Speed and Minimum Software Requirements

allanc

Aug 26, 2003
I understand that the Centrino CPU is very fast for its stated speed however, I have a question reqarding this speed and the minimum software requirements of software.
Let's say, for example, that I purchase a laptop with a 1.6 Ghz Pentium M processor with Centrino.
I assume (although it is comparable in speed to a Pentium 4-M at 2.4 Ghz) that if a software application has a minimum requirement of 2.4 Ghz and somehow checks the speed of the CPU that it will not run?
TIA for all advice.

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
Software requirements do not (in almost all cases) check for a CPU speed rating, and if they even checked, they normally allow you to continue and run the application anyways. Software minimum system requirements are more of a suggestion in my opinion. A suggestion in order to let the buyer determine if they will be comfortable in running the application in labeled box. As software is packaged in the near future, they will normally take into account possible CPU choices prior. Say...

"Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon XP or comparible" required.

Later you will most likely see:
"Intel Pentium 4 / 4M / M blah blah blah or comparible" required.

Being that you are even aware of the relational speed references, I am sure you will be able to get by. I wouldn't worry about it.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
I apologise in advance for not helping you:

Intel: 'Mhz is everything'
Intel: 'Er, except when it comes to banias, er, centrino.'
Intel: 'but that still doesn't mean that Amd's processors can compete, they are slow.'
Intel: 'but banias is fast, honest, the Mhz are just resting, or something'

/sarcasm off

:D

allanc

Aug 26, 2003
None that I am currently aware of.
I am looking towards the future and an example of a current Centrino.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
software min requirements are just recommended
you don't have to have exactely what they say to run it
what I mean by this is if your system can perform well enough to match the system specs they list then you got no trouble