Census2020 ... Can I just check No Change and be done with it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Heh, being unemployed for quite a while I spotted some IT job with the census. Applied. Time passed. Out of the blue got a call and asked if I wanted to be a taker. I said sure, why the hell not. Foot in the door and chances are it would lead somewhere else.

Man, what a circus I could tell with the whole hiring process.
The current administration has been actively trying to foil the effectiveness of the census. I'm not surprised it was a circus.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not a Boomer, I'm Gen X, and it isn't about the time it takes to do the Census. It is about giving data the left hand of the Feds already has to the Right hand. It is about wasting resources for data already known. The added aspect of being threatened by a Census taker is just another level of annoyance, and a waste of Federal resources.
much tadoo about nothing!!

Reactions: pete6032

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
The current administration has been actively trying to foil the effectiveness of the census. I'm not surprised it was a circus.

Long read but shows how the government works.

I apply Hanlon's Razor to this one.

So like I said, got the phone call.

Next steps (after saying sure, I'll take the job):

1) Schedule appointment and get fingerprinted and photographed. Had to schedule and somehow this took place at an Office Depot. Of course the website was broken for quite a while but eventually came back and was able to schedule.

2) Some sort of facial recognition algorithm to see if my picture was compliant for my badge. I failed the test, probably due to my beard so they had to call in someone to override it.

3) Finger prints, more on that later.

4) So sat in limbo wondering what was happening? Do I have the job? Do I not have it? Had to upload my "onboard" documents for a background check, direct deposit, etc. on the website which of course was broke at first for a few days.

5) Called the local office every few days basically asking "Hey, do I have this job?" Response was "Probably yes." Now note, there was no interview of any kind.

6) One day they started emailing me every 30 seconds the same email. Not a hyperbole. After a couple hours that finally stopped after getting a damn thousand.

7) Finally got an email training would be scheduled like March 24 or something, for 3 full days. They'd provide me with some smartphone.

8) Covid-19 hits.

9) They send an email saying hey, when this passes you still have your job.

So that's your census takers at work. And yes, it takes around 3 minutes to complete online.

Got a chuckle when getting fingerprinted. Everyone else was much younger than me. I'm like "Yeah, you don't realize some of the folks you are going to run in to."

Like a guy with a sidearm opening the door. I'd sorta laugh, ask what he is carrying.

Getting my CCW was easier than this in the fingerprint department.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yep, every year that ends with a "0" is a census year. That may be too difficult for him, though.

Coming up with a snarky response here may be to difficult for me.

confused-derpy-is-confused-feel-free-to-use-my-first-try-in-gimp2_fb_2400515.jpg

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Spent a summer internship working on the LUCA (Local Update of Census Addresses) in preparation for the 2000 census.

The constitution requires an "actual enumeration" which is interpreted by the courts as a direct count of the people in the country during the count period.

Sampling, imputation, and estimates cannot be used for the direct count. However, we used all of those techniques in preparation for where we thought people might live.