Census question- SCOTUS says nope nope nope

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The simple fact that 4 of the Justices were willing to accept the govt lying to them seems to indicate shared goals & motives, doesn't it? The ruling should have been 9-0 for that reason alone.

Well, the whole point of the question was to allow the Republicans to gerrymander districts easier. Some Republican or Trump (I can't remember) let that out of the bag. So the ruling wasn't a surprise, as sad as that sounds and is.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well, the whole point of the question was to allow the Republicans to gerrymander districts easier. Some Republican or Trump (I can't remember) let that out of the bag. So the ruling wasn't a surprise, as sad as that sounds and is.

The GOP has no qualms about tearing down the principles & the institutions of democracy when it suits their purposes. They intend to rule by any means possible.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obviously. But if the intent, as many including yourself, is to identify illegal aliens, why wouldn't the question be "are you in the US legally"?

How would I know? The intent never was to identify undocumented people but rather to discourage their participation in the census. Anybody with half a brain knows you can only under count them that way. The notion is absurd.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
How would I know? The intent never was to identify undocumented people but rather to discourage their participation in the census. Anybody with half a brain knows you can only under count them that way. The notion is absurd.
What a crock of shit. Show me where you got this wtf idea.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This is another one of Trumps huge waste of time and governmental resources and money to fight this as long as he has fought it just to say that he could have utilized existing means to "get the count" of these people. Lame. Of course, his details remain murky.

I saw this movie last week. Trump said it was fake news.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jan 25, 2011
From the mouth of the GOP gerrymandering god himself.

https://politicalwire.com/2019/05/30/hard-drives-reveal-details-on-citizenship-question/

“Thomas Hofeller achieved near-mythic status in the Republican Party as the Michelangelo of gerrymandering, the architect of partisan political maps that cemented the party’s dominance across the country,” the New York Times reports.

“But after he died last summer, his estranged daughter discovered hard drives in her father’s home that revealed something else: Mr. Hofeller had played a crucial role in the Trump administration’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.”

“Files on those drives showed that he wrote a study in 2015 concluding that adding a citizenship question to the census would allow Republicans to draft even more extreme gerrymandered maps to stymie Democrats… The disclosures represent the most explicit evidence to date that the Trump administration added the question to the 2020 census to advance Republican Party interests.”

And this.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/15/7326...l-with-gop-strategist-on-citizenship-question

And then there’s this.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...e-court-conservatives-white-voters-alito.html

Do you need me to go on?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
So now that Felonious D is making noises that he isn't going to pursue adding the question any further, does that mean that he was for it before he was against it and then he was for it again before he was against it again?

This stable genius has a brain that operates like a machine; a pinball machine. With a warped table, flickering tilt light, egg-shaped balls, oversized flippers, and bumpers that fire inconsistently.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I got it from the reality of human nature. Put yourself in the place of undocumented people. Rat yourself out to La Migra or just chuck the paperwork. The choice is obvious. That would obviously happen a lot & it's exactly what Ross & the rest of the dishonest assholes wanted to happen from the start.

Asking the questions they want to ask can't possibly yield the results they claim to want & they know it. They lied from the outset.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Its pretty telling that a trumpster was completely unaware of common facts on the issue. I wonder if he will now opine on the question and whether or not it should be included.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I got it from the reality of human nature. Put yourself in the place of undocumented people. Rat yourself out to La Migra or just chuck the paperwork. The choice is obvious. That would obviously happen a lot & it's exactly what Ross & the rest of the dishonest assholes wanted to happen from the start.

Asking the questions they want to ask can't possibly yield the results they claim to want & they know it. They lied from the outset.
I wasn't arguing whether or not the question should be asked... Because i don't, but for very different reasons than you. I was asking where you got that fucking ridiculous idea as to the intent. I think you pulled it out of your ass. Like you usually do

Reactions: esquared

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I wasn't arguing whether or not the question should be asked... Because i don't, but for very different reasons than you. I was asking where you got that fucking ridiculous idea as to the intent. I think you pulled it out of your ass. Like you usually do

The whole song & dance about the voting rights act was pulled out of the GOP's ass but it was the best they could come up with. Ross claims the DoJ asked him to include the question but the record indicates he went to them to give him a reason, some reason, any reason. Maybe you can offer one that isn't contradictory on its face.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

seriously, what the holy fuck?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/us/census-citizenship-question-hofeller.html

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-republican-operative-census-gerrymandering-20190629-story.html

This is exactly why SCOTUS shut it down. Hell, you can just read Robert's opinion, which rather clearly states: "We will not tolerate an obvious lie as to intent to your reasoning [because of the known revealed evidence]"

Did you honestly know nothing of what happened over the last 2 weeks regarding this issue? ...and that's an honest question. I'm curious if you are directly being uninformed by your chosen sources, by personal intent or otherwise.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
seriously, what the holy fuck?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/us/census-citizenship-question-hofeller.html

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-republican-operative-census-gerrymandering-20190629-story.html

This is exactly why SCOTUS shut it down. Hell, you can just read Robert's opinion, which rather clearly states: "We will not tolerate an obvious lie as to intent to your reasoning [because of the known revealed evidence]"

Did you honestly know nothing of what happened over the last 2 weeks regarding this issue? ...and that's an honest question. I'm curious if you are directly being uninformed by your chosen sources, by personal intent or otherwise.
Seriously man you fail to fucking read. I clearly stated i don't think the question should be asked. Calm the fuck down asshole.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The whole song & dance about the voting rights act was pulled out of the GOP's ass but it was the best they could come up with. Ross claims the DoJ asked him to include the question but the record indicates he went to them to give him a reason, some reason, any reason. Maybe you can offer one that isn't contradictory on its face.
What?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Seriously man you fail to fucking read. I clearly stated i don't think the question should be asked. Calm the fuck down asshole.

I read. Which is why I'm not responding to whether or not you thought it should be asked.

Quite clearly, I am responding to your repeated claim that several people here must be "pulling out of their asses" the idea that the question was only ever put forward because of the intent to lessen the response, in order to favor republican representation. Obviously, this is all I was responding to, because you claiming such is a very clear indication that you are grossly uninformed--which is why I ask if this is intentional on your part, or you are simply oblivious to the fact that your chosen information sources are clearly keeping this information from you.

Go back if you care, take the time to follow a simple order of comments, and maybe feel shame for this dumbshit post of yours and your elementary failure to follow a simple fucking string of text.

Mar 11, 2004
So now that Felonious D is making noises that he isn't going to pursue adding the question any further, does that mean that he was for it before he was against it and then he was for it again before he was against it again?

This stable genius has a brain that operates like a machine; a pinball machine. With a warped table, flickering tilt light, egg-shaped balls, oversized flippers, and bumpers that fire inconsistently.

Nah, it operates more like a toilet. He fills it with shit and diapers, clogs it, then his handlers have to clean it up then he starts all over again.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This is so appropriate---
It is one of the reasons they wanted the question on the census form -- Census taker.jpg

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Nah, it operates more like a toilet. He fills it with shit and diapers, clogs it, then his handlers have to clean it up then he starts all over again.

I would have agreed with your description if you had instead said:

"Nah, it operates more like a toilet. He fills it with shit and diapers, clogs it, and then stands there repeatedly flushing it while his handlers furiously try to clean it up."

:D