CeLlPhOnE PrOtEcToRs: Do they work?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
These little things that go over the ears to "cut 99% of radiation". Do they actually work? Seems like its only covering a tiny few holes and most of the radiation comes out of the rest of the phone - have any real studies been done with these?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Look Ma! No hands! Now including the new and improved radiation blocking headset!

Cell Phone Headset - Your's for only $19.99. For orders call 1-800-GUL-ABLE

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well, just becuase somebody hasn't proven the long term effects now doesn't mean they aren't still possible!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
The radio waves from cell phones are non-ionizing, they cannot affect the cells in your body. I'm not sure about the magnetic radiation, but you'd think that if there was really a connection it would have been proven by now. I thought the only thing that could block radiation was lead, which would mean that those "radiation blockers" are about 99% marketing hype and 1% adheasive so it will stick to the phone.

Zenmervolt

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Skoorb ham radio operators have been carrying around hand talkies alot longer than people have had cellular phone and they put out WAY more power than a cell phone and seem to be doing fine stil. Actually if you read around some you should be more worried about that alarm clock a foot from yoru head each night that probably radiates alot moreso than the 10 minutes a day you spend on your phone.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
What can I say - I'm a hypochondriac :) I like talk of non-ionizing radiation. Keep it coming, it keeps me happy !

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I got that "non-ionizing" bit from a scientist on a 60 Minutes report on cell phone dangers that I caught while surfing channels. Wish I could take credit for having researched it more. I'm really quite sure the things are safe though, technically everything emits radiation. Living in a brick house doubles the amount of radiation that one is exposed to. Of course, two times an infintismal amount is still an inconsequential amount.

Zenmervolt

thEnEuRoMancER

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2000
AFAIK most of the radiation comes from the antenna and there's no magic trick a thingy over the speaker could do to stop it. BTW: Motorola cell phones are said to have the smallest emission of radiation.

d0ofy

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Check out CNET for a chart on how much radiation your cell phone emits. Motorola's do have low radiation, but it looks like my Motorola V8162 is pretty high on the list. I guess that's the price I have to pay for compactness.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Radiation is a non-issue if you use an over the ear or a in ear headset. It's also much safer than trying to drive with one hand while holding the phone with the other.

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
dunno, but the leather ones really do help against dust, i lost like 3 phones after my leather thing degraded, no bull!! they just like got stuff inside, and coroded...