Cell Phones, Cell Phones everywhere! What is this madness??

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
I'm really shocked at the proliferation of cell phones these days. I've seen pics of people who are members here and 98% of them are wearing cell phones. I've seen it in the mall where one cell phone rings and 20 people start scrambling to see if it's theres. It's the same way here at work. Cell phone rings, everyone stops what they're doing. It's crazy. I know years ago it wasn't cell phones, but rather pagers. It's bad enough to the point where I've even gone in the mall and seen little 8 year old kids with their own cell phones!! Sheesh. This is crazy. I admit I love mine, but the proliferation of them is just unbelievable. What's even worse is when someone has a junky phone with poor service and they talk loud and act all annoying and rude, then get all peaved when you tell them to pipe down or take it outside. Sheesh.

I voted "Cell phones should be banned," but I think they should only be banned from certain places: i.e. movie theaters, some restaurants, and possibly city busses. It's so annoying to listen to someone talking on the phone while you're trying to enjoy a peaceful ride home. Other than that I don't care (mall, work, etc.).

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hi, I'm that guy who whistles when he's stuck next to you in the checkout line and you're yacking on your cell phone.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
So, to sum it up. Cell phones are evil and annoying and too many people have them...but I love mine and want to keep it. Did I get that about right? :D

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford
So, to sum it up. Cell phones are evil and annoying and too many people have them...but I love mine and want to keep it. Did I get that about right? :D
Bzzzzt. Nope. I personally couldn't live without my cell phone, but I just think that they should be in moderation. Some people feel that anything with a pulse should have one. For example, the 8 year old kid. Out in Cali (someone confirm this for me) I heard a rumor that some people have even gone as far as to get cell phones for their pets!! Perty ludicris in my book. I don't think we need to ban them, just restrict the use of them and who owns how many because obviously some people can't own them responsibly.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
people who wear their cell phones on a belt type holder without a valid work-related excuse are chodes.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
The reason 90% of people carry them is because of the phony sense of self importance they gain from talking on it.

If you seriously think you cannot live without a cell phone, you are pathetic.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I can't say that I've seen an 8yo with a cell phone..not yet, anyways.

It does seem like you don't want everybody else to have them, but you definitely want to keep yours..why should you have it and not them?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kev
The reason 90% of people carry them is because of the phony sense of self importance they gain from talking on it.

Geez, I didnt know the motivation for having a cell phone ran so deep. And here I was thinking I bought my cell phone so I could use it to contact my friends and family when Im not at home, bored, etc...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: BillGates
people who wear their cell phones on a belt type holder without a valid work-related excuse are chodes.

Yes!!
I have my 3 year old 3390 sitting in my pocket at all times :p

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003

Geez, I didnt know the motivation for having a cell phone ran so deep. And here I was thinking I bought my cell phone so I could use it to contact my friends and family when Im not at home, bored, etc...

is chit chatting with friends about nothing really worth $50 a month?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

So based on this and on the recent thread about cell phones, let me see if I have this right...

1. It's important to have a cell phone
2. But it can't be just any cell phone, it has to be a "cool" phone. If your phone is a year old, it's not cool. Doesn't matter if it still works or not.
3. A cool phone lets you surf. No matter that it's completely impractical.
4. Where you carry your phone determines if you are cool or not.
5. But if your phone is cool, you can't let anyone see it or you aren't cool.
6. If you carry your phone in a non-cool place, you need to be wearing a uniform to be exempt from the "non-cool" judgment.

Who are the people thinking up new ways to judge people?

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
ppl should get some better ringtones then, if you ahve a polymorphic or polyphonic capable phone you can customize it.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky

So based on this and on the recent thread about cell phones, let me see if I have this right...

2. But it can't be just any cell phone, it has to be a "cool" phone. If your phone is a year old, it's not cool. Doesn't matter if it still works or not.
6. If you carry your phone in a non-cool place, you need to be wearing a uniform to be exempt from the "non-cool" judgment.

it's the new "status symbol" in our society. there is research that supports this.

with a quick google search i found this http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/63619.gsmbox

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: CadetLee
I can't say that I've seen an 8yo with a cell phone..not yet, anyways.

It does seem like you don't want everybody else to have them, but you definitely want to keep yours..why should you have it and not them?
*sigh* I didn't say they shouldn't have it. I said they shouldn't have it if they can't use it responsibly, which makes up a good majority of people who use them. Plus I agree with Kev, they have cell's just to look important.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
it's the new "status symbol" in our society. there is research that supports this.
*blink* It's a status symbol?? Status of what? That you're a pimp? That you're Mr/Mrs/Ms Power? Does it make people feel like they're God or something? How would this make them feel all important? I only have a cell phone because my job requires that I be reachable 24/7/365, and that's the only reason, and that's with great reluctance. Oh sure, my family likes the convinence of catching me anytime/anywhere, and I do admit I like the convinence of always having a phone within easy reach. Don't get me wrong there. But there are times when escaping the cell phones and all things tech is a must. So it still baffles me why people find these things *required* articles on their bodies. Or as kranky said, as a status symbol. What? They are important enough without one?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
People who have them for business use, fine.
Using them in case of an emergency, fine.

People who use them to coordinate their food shopping - I want to smash their phones.
People who use them to call someone about what new pair of shoes they're about to buy - deserving of death.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
*blink* It's a status symbol?? Status of what? That you're a pimp? That you're Mr/Mrs/Ms Power? Does it make people feel like they're God or something? How would this make them feel all important? I only have a cell phone because my job requires that I be reachable 24/7/365, and that's the only reason, and that's with great reluctance. Oh sure, my family likes the convinence of catching me anytime/anywhere, and I do admit I like the convinence of always having a phone within easy reach. Don't get me wrong there. But there are times when escaping the cell phones and all things tech is a must. So it still baffles me why people find these things *required* articles on their bodies. Or as kranky said, as a status symbol. What? They are important enough without one?
????

did you even bother clicking on the link i provided?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
These responses are to be expected from a forum in which the majority ofpeople are teens.

In the real world, most of us see mobile phones as ball and chains. I long for the days gone by in which I could be "unreachable."

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
These responses are to be expected from a forum in which the majority ofpeople are teens.

In the real world, most of us see mobile phones as ball and chains. I long for the days gone by in which I could be "unreachable."

exactly, i hope my work never makes me get one. so far so good

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
The only reason I plan on purchasing a cell is so I can take advantage of my road side assistance plan that comes with our new car purchase. No use to have the plan if I can't contact them when I need them most. My main purpose is for emergencies and prolly checking my emails once a day. And conveniently so, unfortunately, when my parents want to know where the heck I am :( :p

Each person's idea of value and worthiness is up to themselves to decide. Cell phones have become another money-grab gadget. Look at all the accesories and faceplates, ring tones, games, etc. you can get for it? Are those really necessary? It's not about being necessary, it's about what people want and companies making a dime, lots and lots of dimes.

Of course, with great cellphones comes great responsibilities :p

Any stats out there on how many people got killed in car accidents due to cell phone usage?

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
It's not just that, it's changing the way we communnicate. We are no longer tied to one area with our phones. We can be reached or reach someone anywhere there is a signal (Which is nearly everywhere in populous areas).
For people like me I am required to carry one and my current employer even pays for my cellular service.
In 96 or 97 when I got my first one it was novelty, a nifty toy that sometimes was useful. As time went on that changed to something I needed. At this point I'm considering getting rid of my home phone service as switching to Earthlink had made Vonage really unreliable lately. The only thing holding me back is the fact that Sprint doesn't start evenings until 9pm.
I'm willing to be a lot of other people on this forum have only a cellular phone these days.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001

The only thing I covered was the modern-day version of the pocket protector. I'm not sure where you got many of those other ideas, becuase it wasn't from myself, nor this thread.