Cell phone used linked strongly to behavioral problems for kids, esp. if mom is pregnant.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Link

the peril they pose "is not much lower than the risk to children's health from tobacco or alcohol".

The scientists questioned the mothers of 13,159 children born in Denmark in the late 1990s about their use of the phones in pregnancy, and their children's use of them and behaviour up to the age of seven.

How do people create rubbish like this? The study is meaningless. IMO, people who use cellphones have badly behaved kids because they are on the cell and ignore them. That is as relevant a conclusion as the one they have.

Actually, just as valid: Badly behaved kids drive their moms to use the phone so that they can get a break.
They add that there might be other possible explanations that they did not examine ? such as that mothers who used the phones frequently might pay less attention to their children
Ah, there you go. So, basically you've found a trend and have no fvcking clue what it means, but just to get yourself in the news you make up some insane worse-case scenario. Good job. Can i give some more tax money now to your research?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ah, relax. Read the Study, the Media usually only reports the sensational. Not necessarily the tone.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think this is rubbish. First of all it is from a UK source. Second of all it is based on the superior EU intellectual country that is far superior to the way of thinking in the USA so maybe we are just a bunch of stupid dolts in the USA with our dumb backwater ideas and we are looking at this as a bunch of cowboys.

Emphasis added for stupid American Humor.

hellod9

Sep 16, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski
Ah, relax. Read the Study, the Media usually only reports the sensational. Not necessarily the tone.

Most science reporting is a joke. Kind of entertaining, in its own way, I guess.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
When I publish a paper, I make some basic statements regarding the conclusions of my work. Due to strict limitations on the length of articles, I don't go into every possible cause of my findings, only a few that might be of interest to the readers of that particular journal. When a journalist reads it, paraphrases it, and tries to interpret it based on his own particular bias and ignorance, you get an article like the one linked to by the OP.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: hellod9
Originally posted by: sandorski

Most science reporting is a joke. Kind of entertaining, in its own way, I guess.

It's not entertaining when it causes knee jerk reactions, such as yanking all the plastic baby bottles off the shelves after they find some chemical causes reproductive problems in rats when they are given a dose equal to their body weight.