Cell phone - Sprint - is this too good to be true?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Do you know if Sprint coverage in your area is good or crappy? A low priced plan with 2 year committment would suck if coverage was spotty.

My friend has a sprint phone and never seems to have problems, he uses it a lot and likes it.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Adaman
Do you know if Sprint coverage in your area is good or crappy? A low priced plan with 2 year committment would suck if coverage was spotty.

My friend has a sprint phone and never seems to have problems, he uses it a lot and likes it.

If only Sprint offered a Sero family time plan 800 shared minutes for $50/mo - I'd be all over that.

:(

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I have Alltel and they have unlimited data tethering for $25/ month and thats EVDO Rev.0 so I get around 300-450kbps, but many have reported speeds of 500-700. Since I can only get dialup where I live it's the highest speed internet available.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I've been following this thread and need some suggestions on which phone to choose:

So far I'm considering the following models but I'm open to suggestions:
Samsung A900
Moto Q
Treo
Mogul

1) Functionality wise, I'm going to use it mostly as a phone. Although PDA functionality would be nice, it's not a requirement.

2) I plan on tethering to my laptop via Bluetooth (or USB) to surf the net using EVDO.
Which phones can do this without tethering detected? If it's necessary I'm ok with purchasing PDANet for $34.

3) What's the best cell phone to watch Slingbox or Orb video content? I take public transportation to/from work and it would be nice to watch some TV while on the bus.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!!!

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
I've been following this thread and need some suggestions on which phone to choose:

So far I'm considering the following models but I'm open to suggestions:
Samsung A900
Moto Q
Treo
Mogul

1) Functionality wise, I'm going to use it mostly as a phone. Although PDA functionality would be nice, it's not a requirement.

2) I plan on tethering to my laptop via Bluetooth (or USB) to surf the net using EVDO.
Which phones can do this without tethering detected? If it's necessary I'm ok with purchasing PDANet for $34.

3) What's the best cell phone to watch Slingbox or Orb video content? I take public transportation to/from work and it would be nice to watch some TV while on the bus.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!!!

i believe the mogul can tether now. there is an update from the 6700 phone that i have been reading about so the phone could go undetected. there was some report on in the first post on the slickdeals forum post. im not 100% sure if it works or not but check that out for more info. i still debating on getting the mogul.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
ive been wanting sero since i found out about it last week...my treo 700p will definitely get a ton more use out of it since ill get unlimited texting/power vision. somehow i need to come up with a "creative" plan to get sprint to switch our plan to sero. we have 2 phones in our plan, so my dad will get the $50 plan and ill get the $30 plan.

bah...i wish we werent still under contract and i would love to keep my number (its so easy to remember). i know/read of stories and people who have gotten to keep their numbers even under contract. you just need to convince them somehow.

anyone want to share stories with us and help out?

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
ive been wanting sero since i found out about it last week...my treo 700p will definitely get a ton more use out of it since ill get unlimited texting/power vision. somehow i need to come up with a "creative" plan to get sprint to switch our plan to sero. we have 2 phones in our plan, so my dad will get the $50 plan and ill get the $30 plan.

bah...i wish we werent still under contract and i would love to keep my number (its so easy to remember). i know/read of stories and people who have gotten to keep their numbers even under contract. you just need to convince them somehow.

anyone want to share stories with us and help out?

i couldnt get it done. my dad couldnt get it to work and neither did my girlfriend.

we all just started a new line of service. a new number was worth the cheaper plan.

SiliconJon

Nov 1, 2004
The Mogul sure does look nice. When I called yesterday to ask about the details I think she mentioned phone as modem being included in the plan (as well as GPS, data, messaging), but she listed so many inclusions so fast I didn't catch them all. I would like to see it in writing, though, as some of the posts I have read make Sprint sound like AOL in the service department, and that worries me a bit. I still don't see how I can pass up the 1250 all inclusive plan for $49.95, though. Maybe I can get them to charge me an extra $5 month to insure me against customer service hassles.

As for the family plan for $50/mo, unless your usage is greatly imbalanced you can get two lines @ 500 + 500 for $60/mo. Almost as low, plus a ton of extras for the $10 more a month.

When I check the prices online everything costs extra, but when I called the number they tell me everything I want is included in the price...so don't checkout online!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
details for those lookign for a xpresscard REV. A deal.

Whil Sero has no discount on the card beyond the regular discoutns ($175 with 2yr deal) they still offer the monthly discount comign out to $49.99:D

The card isn't immediately visible on their screen or something (or my rep might have been incompetant...not sure)so you have to push them to find it...

The website only lsits teh AC595 Sierra wireless card, but the Express card one is the Sierra Wireless AC575e....