Cell phone - Sprint - is this too good to be true?

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
ok, i know someone at sprint, and I went into the referral site, picked out a palm treo 700wx for 250 then they charge:

500 minutes a month
free nights and weekends
FREE! Unlimited Web, Data and Picture Mail
FREE! Power Vision Unlimited Web, Data and Picture Mail
Unlimited nights strating at 6PM --- $10

comes out to $40 a month for unlimited internet?

how is their internet ? im in NYC, and the map looks good....

this means I can surf the web on that treo?

THanks, Don R

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
go read the thread in hot deals and also on chubby billfold.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
I'm in NYC and my sister has Sprint with the SERO plan. She pays under $30/month for everything you listed above, minus the 6pm nights, plus 500 text messages. It's under your price because she also has a corporate discount on top of it. She doesn't have a Treo, but she surfs the web on her phone. Compared to my Blackberry with Cingular unlimited data at ~$90/month, SERO is definitely a bargain.

Having said all that, I should point out that Sprint sucks. She frequently gets dropped calls and reception is horrible at our house (she's forced to talk in specific rooms because of the weak signal). The last text message I sent her never made it to her and the last two text messages she sent me never made it to me. Perhaps that's a recent issue since she got Sprint to add 500 free text messages/month a few days ago. Sprint also has the tendency to f-up your bill (add a service that you did not want, etc.), meaning you must be diligent about following up and getting it off your bill. Good thing the Sprint reps are pretty helpful and once it's off, it stays off. Overall, I think the Sprint service is still usable as long as you can put up with a disconnected call here and there, but I still believe it's the worse service available in NYC (comparing Cingular, Tmobile, Verizon and Sprint).

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Hm can you tether it to a laptop and get unlimited internet usage? and what's the speed?

As for cingular, if you get the medianet or whatever plan which is $20, you can tether that and get 'unlimited' internet as well.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Looney
Hm can you tether it to a laptop and get unlimited internet usage? and what's the speed?

As for cingular, if you get the medianet or whatever plan which is $20, you can tether that and get 'unlimited' internet as well.

you can with sprint, its atleast 3-4 times faster than cingular's lame edge thing

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
this is the plan i have. i even got them to give me 500 free txt a month too

i live in jersey. i have never had any issues with billing or dropped calls. never tried it in the city though.

i like sprint. been with them for 5 years now.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I've had this for a while now. My bill went from $200/mo to $60/mo for 2 lines.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I've been trying to find out about the Sero plan for my parents, but it's friggin complicated, and no one wants to explain anything. People would rather I read a 1000 page thread about it. That would take a while :p

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005

Cingular's HSDPA sucks compared to EVDO. Numerous articles in PC Mag, Wired, CNet, prove this. I recently got Sprint's EVDO Rev A card....I consistently get ABOVE 1 Mb/s in the EVDO Rev A areas (25 largest areas now, everywhere by year end). Otherwise I get 150 kb/s where ever Sprint has a signal. ATOT nearly seems normal at 150 kb/s (been using it all week) Under the SERO plan you can get the card and an unlimited data plan for $30/month, normally $50.

PM me if you have questions.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: kalster

you can with sprint, its atleast 3-4 times faster than cingular's lame edge thing

Cingular has 3G now (HSPA ?) and it is almost as fast as EVDO.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Adaman
I've been trying to find out about the Sero plan for my parents, but it's friggin complicated, and no one wants to explain anything. People would rather I read a 1000 page thread about it. That would take a while :p

You type in a Sprint Email Address, and it will give you the discounted rate. Thats the gist. You might have to sign a new 2 year contract....

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: austin316

They are just now getting something that is "almost" as fast?

Wow. Time to move to Cingular. Late and slow!

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
My friend has SERO with the Palm treo. He is LOVING it. Its not too good to be true. In NYC, Sprint coverage is nowhere as good as Verizon. But if you using it as personal phone, I highly recommend it. And yes, internet works with the treo.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002

uhh? there is nothing complicated about it. you sign in with a sprint email and you sign up.....

thats about it....

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: austin316

They are just now getting something that is "almost" as fast?

Wow. Time to move to Cingular. Late and slow!

Yes, its almost as fast as EVDO at about 70-80 kbps, IIRC. It's no where close to EVDO Rev A at 1 Mbps! Everyone know that Verizon and Sprint/Nextel are the top tier; thats why Cingular and ATT merged, they couldn't compete otherwise!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Jawo

You type in a Sprint Email Address, and it will give you the discounted rate. Thats the gist. You might have to sign a new 2 year contract....

That's IT?! ....

*:confused:

*jaw drops*

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Hmmm when I go and look I don't see the unlimited data plan part of it, then again I can only see the Nextel stuff online, when I pick sprint it shows phones but no options just a phone #.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Jawo

That's IT?! ....

*:confused:

*jaw drops*

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=9228694&postcount=18

Feb 24, 2001
I've been on it since December with a Treo 700WX and it's been fantastic.

Can tether with a laptop, so basically anywhere I get cell coverage I have some form of Internet access.

Plus if you use a referrer (hint hint :p) you get a $25 debit card.