Cell phone service in LA area, which is better: Pacbell or AT&T?

? (=Þ)

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sprint blows. My choice now is either Pacbell w/ a 6190, or AT&T w/ a 6160.

For people who have pacbell or AT&T and a nokia 6190/6160, please post how the service is.

I get busy network messages sometimes when i call people on pacbell, so thats a scratch against pacbell already... But the 6190 has location dialing! (why doesnt the other 61xx have that?)

THANKS!

KingHam

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Never had a problem with my AT&T service. I've used it extensively through LA and Orange counties.

KingHam

bUnMaNGo

Feb 9, 2000
back in April, I ditched AT&T for PacBell... reason being that I had no reception whatsoever at school (UCI). My friend with PacBell would have 4 bars of reception in class, while I would have none. I also like PacBell's no-roaming charge within the CA/NV network... in my plan I also got unlimited mobile-to-mobile and free long distance (I got the Family Talk plan back when it first came out). As for the busy network thing, yea it bugs a little, but I don't get it that often. BTW I had a Nokia 6160 with AT&T, and a 6190, 5190, and a StarTAC with PacBell.

todays

May 11, 2000
I have had both AT&T and Pac Bell. It depends on which area you are in. I am in the Central Valley in California. AT&T has superior coverage in the foothills. Pac Bell has a cheaper rate and no foothill coverage, and their network is a little newer, so I do have weak spots. I switched over to Pac Bell because of the price, and I am happy enough with the service. If it was strictly coverage choice though I would pick AT&T where I am.

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
what about the pricing plans between them? and minutes/airtime?

which is better?

btw, i'm in LA

? (=Þ)

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any more people? For those with pacbell, how bad are the busy signals? Today, i couldnt reach a friend who has pacbell after 4 tries in a row... got thru 10 mins later, but it was annoying.... how bad is that usually?