cell phone question (sim chips/cards)

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
i posted a thread a couple of weeks ago and my phone was broken. I think i'm going to send it back and see if they'll replace it. in the meantime, my cousin has a motorola v66 phone (from T-mobile) that uses a SIM chip but i don't know if it'll work on an AT&T network

any ideas??

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
I assume you're using AT&T Gsm, not TDMA..

The Motorolla has to be unlocked for you to use it w/ AT&T..

Ask your friend to see if Tmobile can unlock it for him.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
It probably won't work, as cell phone companies "lock" their customers' phones to their own network, and you'd have to get it unlocked first in order for you to insert another company's SIM card and use it on their network.

Or at least that's what I think. I could be wrong :)

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Why don't you just try it? Not all phones are locked at the factory. But thankfully for you, it's easy to check. Just becareful, cuz if it is locked, and you leave your SIM in there longer than 10 seconds, it'll fuse itself to the phone and permanently disable it. All the while notifying both carriers of your fraudulent activites thus having both accounts locked and forwarded to the authorities for further investigation.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: codeyf
Why don't you just try it? Not all phones are locked at the factory. But thankfully for you, it's easy to check. Just becareful, cuz if it is locked, and you leave your SIM in there longer than 10 seconds, it'll fuse itself to the phone and permanently disable it. All the while notifying both carriers of your fraudulent activites thus having both accounts locked and forwarded to the authorities for further investigation.

Um no. It will just say insert correct sim if its locked, where'd u hear that story?

And about t-mobile, send an e-mail to simunlock@tmobile.com and tell them you are going to a counrty where they dont' have a roaming agreement (I told them singapore) and you want to get a prepaid sim while you are there. My Samsung S105 triband GSM phone is now unlocked and I'm going to use it this summer when i go to HK and taiwan.