Celeron G3900 with Asrock Z170 motherboard with 7 NVMe SSDs?

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
I'm trying to see if this sounds crazy or if it is actually reasonable, please forgive my stupid questions because I'm still using Phenom II X4 and OCZ Vertex 2 at home so I'm a bit obsolete to begin with.

Recently I got a project that I need a build to test some NVMe SSD prior to deployment. This will be a machine that just run a write once, read for 10 minutes test throughout the entire SSD capacity to screen out the bad apples. I need as many PCIe 3.0 4x interface as I can so that means the best choice I can get would likely be an Asrock Z170 board with 4 PCIe3.0 slots with PCIe 4x to M.2 adapters, and 3 M.2 slots to support 7 M.2 SSDs.

To take advantage of all that I'd likely need a Skylake CPU (for the DMI 3.0 and Z170's PCIe 3.0), and the cheapest one would be a celeron. However I'm not sure if it would be good enough to read 7 M.2 drive at full speed (say around 2GB/S each) if we are just discarding the data anyways, or should I use something with quad core and hyper threading so it would work ok for 7 SSD read.

Any suggestion?

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Seems a bit more like a server type of workload. I would be inclined to get as many cores as you can afford. Based on the workload described even a slow-ish 4 core like an i5-6400 would be cheap insurance against processor bottleneck.

HSIO/Flex-IO on the Z170 should allow for the configuration but I will admit I have never seen such in real life.

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
It would be even less than server type of workload as I do not need any processing of the data and send out to ethernet, so in theory I can cut the traffic by half but double the amount of drives I load. I'm just wondering if the CPU side's cache size and frequency matters on these kind of work....

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Amount of PCI-E lanes may need to be considered, even though the z170 boards can feature a bunch of x16 slots, they might operate on fewer lanes and likewise with Celerons.