Celeron 566 overcocking

HloT

Feb 27, 2001
Howdy!

I need some help from some of you, who are more experienced in overclocking.
I'm trying to overclock my cely 566 on this system:
- BX Master
- 2x128MB 133MHz Ram
- Voodoo3 2000
I have purchased a golden orb, which does a fine job. I have also mounted a small fan on the Voodoo, so the average temperatures in my computer never exceede 37 deegrees C. Looks nice. But...
I have been pushing the whole thing up to 81MHz FSB (682MHz) successfully. After that line everything still works, but a bit crappy. @83MHz FSB mostly everything looks cool, but when I enter the Windows (any kind but standard VGA) graphic mode, the system freezes.
As I tried to test the system @ even higher frequences, strange dots and horizontal lines appeared on screen during the BIOS part of boot.
Why won't the system work @ 100MHz FSB?!? I have tried modes with spread spectum turned off, I have increased voltage up to 1.8V, I tested RAM and it's OK. Is it the Voodoo or is it just the Celeron, which causes this unstability?
I know that your Celerons 566 worked @ 850MHz, so why won't mine?

]-[IoT:confused:

shiznut123

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
Maybe you got a bad chip. Don't go over 1.85v though. I suggest some better cooling. Maybe a fop32. 37 degrees in a computer is a high temperature. Maybe a better case would help you.

blackhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Not familiar with the BXmaster but haven't heard of many 566's not making 850. I suspect its a bios setting. Ensure the vid card isn't overclocked, the ram set to cas 3 to start and the multiplier for the pci set to one third. Do you use a slotkit? The asus and msi are the best for overall stability. Ensure its set for coppermine or whatever corresponds to 100mz. Ensure the fan is working and making contact.
In bios go right to 100 and try to boot. Agp card should be at 66(normal) if it boots at 100.

kimcheeboy

Banned
Nov 22, 2000
Just a question...does this BXMaster board actually use the Intel BX chipset? Cause I heard of some third party manufacturers making pseudo-BX chipset wannabes. If it's not a genuine BX chipset, that might be your problem. Overclocking on those older no-name chipsets is a pain. Just run the chip at a high, but safe, voltage to burn-in. Try to overclock again in a few weeks.