Celeron 2 on BH6, no go

kiddyl

Sep 4, 2000
After allmost two years running a celeron 333@560 I was looking for something new. My choice was cost effective en raw cpu power. I decided to buy an Celeron 2 600 MHz with an MSI adapter. Together with my BH6 1.02 SS this must be an interesting upgrade.

Many users ran their fc-pga processors perfectly on their BH6, so my hope was good. But my CPU don't get into WindowsMe. Sometimes it does, but it will lock in a few seconds. The processor is an Boxed type with an Intel cooler. The core is a little bit damaged due to the Intel cooler. I had to use a lot pressure to get te heatsink on the CPU. After recieving an Golden Orb I tried again, but it still don't work. I thought the processor was dead.

A roommate of mine offered to put my Celeron 2 in his new Asus CUBX. The processor ran without lockups in Windows2000!!!!!! So processor is not dead, in spite of the damaged core. What do I need to do. I tried to raise the voltage until I reached 1.90 V. No go. I tried several settings in my bios, still no go. You know that I'm desperate, because of the damaged core I think I cannot get my money back. But worse is that I probaply have to buy a new mobo + Cpu. I want a Duron + KT mobo, but there are problems with my CL Geforce 2 GTS.

Please help me.

tonyou

Nov 22, 1999
Maybe it's the MSI adapter that you are using. Have you tried the adapter/CPU combo on another motherboard?

Tony

kiddyl

Sep 4, 2000
I'll try it tomorrow. I have been searching on the web since encountered my problem, and I finally got something. It has to do with the onboard voltage regulators. Some versions may have problems while others with a diverent revisions don't. I think I may be the unlucky one with the wrong revision. I still got hope for my MSI card. I can run my Celeron 333@560 in the same converter, so I think this won't be the problem.

kiddyl

Sep 4, 2000
Does anyone have any problems like I have and solved it. Will an Soltek converter with it's own power regulators help in my case. Or did anyone soldered some new power regulators on his/hers board to solve the problem.

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
on the MSI adapter, there is a jumper setting for Celeron/P3. Don't be fooled by Celeron. They are talking about the older celerons. The newer ones including your 600, are more like P3 and should be set so. Try changing that jumper to P3 if you have it on celeron. This should solve the instability probelm you are experiencing. The MSI slocket is a great one, better than my Iwill ones.

ogn

Mar 17, 2000
Also, are you using the 6905Master? The plain 6905 doesn't support P3/Celeron2.

kiddyl

Sep 4, 2000
Thank you all for helping me. My converter is an MSI 6905 Master and the jumper was always set good. But currently i'm writing this with my new Celeron 2. Yes he is running allright.

I tried everything until I had a tip from someone who had an Promise Fasttrack 66 controller. He had the same problems as I. After he removed that card the BH6 had no problems at all with fc-pga processors. In my system I had an Abit HotRod66. After I removed that part and connected my HD's to my onboard IDE33 everything run fine. I'm so happy :). My newly bought IBM DTLA 30GB isn't running that fast anymore, but cares!!!!

bub

Oct 9, 1999
You might try moving that Promise controller to another slot. It should work somewhere.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
from the Abit site for the BH6:

How can I use 5 PCI slots properly?
We suggest that you insert cards which need to use IRQs into PCI slots 2 and 3 such as SCSI, Sound and LAN cards. Other cards that do not need IRQs such as VGA or 3D acceleration cards, like voodoo, voodoo II and some kinds of PCI VGA cards, can be inserted into PCI slots 1,4,5. Whether or not a device can share IRQs depends on your Interface card and its driver as to whether or not it follows the PCI V2.1 specification.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I've got a BH6 running a CII 533@800 - problem free. I'm using a Abit Slotket!!! and a GORB.

RGN