Celebrity Obsession

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: MrToilet
And the "personality tests" are hilarious- one was that you could tell what kind of man a guy was by which bathroom stall he uses. Freakin' weird.

So wait, I want to know what kind of man I am by what bathroom stall I'm using!

I think it was something like:

Bathroom, 5 stalls:

1st stall (closest to door): he's too insecure and wants to just get it over with. Needs the comfort of being able to leave quickly. He's not comfortable in his own skin, and is not stable enough for a long-term relationship. Overly aggressive, defensive, and doesn't take criticism.

3rd stall (middle stall): he's a middle-of-the-road kind of guy, doesn't make decisive decisions, doesn't like rocking the boat, content to float through life.

5th stall (furthest away): he's prone to avoidant coping behavior, doesn't deal with his life's problems, overly apathetic.

Yeah. Right.

Supposedly the 2nd stall guy is the one you want- not too aggressive, but still can take care of himself.

I don't know what's funnier, having your girl/girlfriend ask you which stall you used to poop in after you come out, or the fact that some women actually believe this stuff. :)

so what happens if you just choose the only one thats open?

You really, really, really need to drop the kids off at the pool.

Or take the Browns to the Super Bowl, take your pick. :)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: manowar821
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people.

Need any more information?
If something dumber was ever posted on an internet forum, I'd love to see it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
And the "personality tests" are hilarious- one was that you could tell what kind of man a guy was by which bathroom stall he uses. Freakin' weird.

So wait, I want to know what kind of man I am by what bathroom stall I'm using!

I think it was something like:

Bathroom, 5 stalls:

1st stall (closest to door): he's too insecure and wants to just get it over with. Needs the comfort of being able to leave quickly. He's not comfortable in his own skin, and is not stable enough for a long-term relationship. Overly aggressive, defensive, and doesn't take criticism.

3rd stall (middle stall): he's a middle-of-the-road kind of guy, doesn't make decisive decisions, doesn't like rocking the boat, content to float through life.

5th stall (furthest away): he's prone to avoidant coping behavior, doesn't deal with his life's problems, overly apathetic.

Yeah. Right.

Supposedly the 2nd stall guy is the one you want- not too aggressive, but still can take care of himself.

I don't know what's funnier, having your girl/girlfriend ask you which stall you used to poop in after you come out, or the fact that some women actually believe this stuff. :)

so what happens if you just choose the only one thats open?

You really, really, really need to drop the kids off at the pool.

Or take the Browns to the Super Bowl, take your pick. :)

or what if you normally would have chosen the #2 stall but it was clogged up and overflowing with turds and you had to use one of the other stalls?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people.

I don't follow. Do you actually have an argument that you're just holding back from posting, or did I just hurt your feelings? :laugh:

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

I don't follow. Do you actually have an argument that you're just holding back from posting, or did I just hurt your feelings? :laugh:
I just found your sweeping generalization quite entertaining. ie. no great minds ever discussed people, and no small minds ever discussed ideas. uh huh... next.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

I just found your sweeping generalization quite entertaining. ie. no great minds ever discussed people, and no small minds ever discussed ideas. uh huh... next.

....It's not a stead-fast rule.....

I'm pretty sure you're upset about it. Sorry if I offended you.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004

I'll never get over it. I hate you.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I don't know either. Cosmopolitan: it's the same stuff every week/month/whatever.
"100,000 sex tips. You women readers aren't pretty enough - buy from our advertisers. Men are hiding things, and we know what they are. Be secretive, keep them guessing. Oh, and MORE embarrassing stories to make you feel better about yourselves."
Blah blah blah, same BS every time.

Maybe the magazines are a general ego boost. "Hey, I'm cool - I read about Samuel L. Jackson." Like this good helpful guy.

It's an artificial market, which focuses on another artificial market.

Originally posted by: compuwiz1
I know how you feel. It makes me just want to move to Montana and tend my sheep.
This does not sound creepy in any way. Nope, not at all.
(Tip which I heard online somewhere: Get the sheep near a cliff. That way it'll push back.)

Originally posted by: Saint Michael
I don't always pick the same stall... pretty random actually.
Similar here. Some days, the closer one, some days, the luxurious handicapped-accessible stall, and other days, just the one that's not clogged and nearly overflowing with the urine and feces of a thousand dumbass college students.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I'm so happy my wife couldn't' care less about that crap.

My brothers wife on the other hand is very into it, gets the magazines, watches the shows, follows the trends, etc...

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

I'll never get over it. I hate you.

:( :(

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
I agree about the cosmopolitan thing. my gf once showed me the things the magazine publishes for the heck of it. LMFAO. what dorks would read such garbage? :laugh:

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: JTsyo
Originally posted by: dug777
I think it's artificially limited to celebrities because it's apparently socially acceptable to obsess over famous twits.

In reality, people would love to know that kind of inane crap about their neighbours and friends, but paying a photographer to take pics of your neighbour's wife's bewbs at the beach isn't socially acceptable...

Hmm I never thought about that. From personal experience I hear women in my family talking about others more than 50% of the time they are talking with each other. Wonder if it's some maternal instinct to be concerned about others or just that they don't have sports to keep them entertained.

The latter ;)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..the gossip doesn't bother me. But why would they take advise from a bunch of flunk tard scrip readers like Sean Penn? Most of those people hardly made it out of high school. If it wasen't for old money..family connections and the luck and look of photogenic appeal and living in an era of electronic video media most of em would be garbage collectors or ditch diggers. If that.

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: IGBT
..the gossip doesn't bother me. But why would they take advise from a bunch of flunk tard scrip readers like Sean Penn? Most of those people hardly made it out of high school. If it wasen't for old money..family connections and the luck and look of photogenic appeal and living in an era of electronic video media most of em would be garbage collectors or ditch diggers. If that.

Really, celebrities are like large babies- someone feeds them, dresses them, takes care of their daily "chores" (heh), goes shopping for them, drives them around... And they get paid for looking good, with no real talent (Paul Walker, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, I'm looking at you). I mean, they have more money than they know what to do with- how many turn to drugs or something like that, you know?

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
You're going to see this everywhere, whether the objects of obsession are either celebrities, political figures, religious figures and so on. It's just modern media has magnified all of that exponentially.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I think it's artificially limited to celebrities because it's apparently socially acceptable to obsess over famous twits.

In reality, people would love to know that kind of inane crap about their neighbours and friends, but paying a photographer to take pics of your neighbour's wife's bewbs at the beach isn't socially acceptable...

Hmm I never thought about that. From personal experience I hear women in my family talking about others more than 50% of the time they are talking with each other. Wonder if it's some maternal instinct to be concerned about others or just that they don't have sports to keep them entertained.

oh man, my sister and my mom (more my sister though) are always talkin about other people and what they do. it's like who cares or you have no room to talk, especially in my sister's case.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005

oh man, my sister and my mom (more my sister though) are always talkin about other people and what they do. it's like who cares or you have no room to talk, especially in my sister's case.

every women i know are like that. gossipy.