Ceiling fan assembly/installation cost

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
We're planning to replace the light fixtures in two of our rooms with ceiling fans (with lights on the fan). We have a handyman that we basically trust, but he gave us a cost estimate of about $250 labor per fan to assemble and install them. This seemed quite high to me. We're in the N. Va area.

Questions -

How difficult is it to assemble a ceiling fan out of the box (which we haven't bought yet)?

Does $250 per fan seem astronomically high?

Am I humming a Rick Astley song right now?

hurt

May 27, 2001
That does seem astronomically high. I would think even an inexperienced installer would take an hour to an hour and a half at most. I've put up a few and it's not difficult at all. Even if you have to put in a fan bracket in the ceiling it's not that difficult.

Maybe he's doing more than a basic installation, but if it's just taking the fan out of the box and putting on the ceiling, that's pretty easy.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It really just depends on the install. If you have an attic right above you with a decent amount of crawl space they can easily get in there and install any additional wiring and bracing.

If it's in a ceiling that has limited access and requires additional wiring then the labor costs could be much more.

Last year I paid two handymen about $600 to rewire 8 rooms, install 2 ceiling fans, and put in a vent fan over a shower. But everything was very easy to get to and it was about 12 hours worth of work.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
If the ceiling fixture is strong enough to support the weight of the fan, and you're not installing a new wall switch (just using the pull cords),it's not hard at all. Just follow the instructions and you'll be okay. It's pretty much just a remove and reinstall type job.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, that is a really high cost. He doesn't have to perform anymore wiring. The only thing he may have to do is replace the existing electrical housing with a ceiling fan resistant housing or install a fan brace.

OP - if you're semi-handy, you could do it yourself. It really isn't difficult.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Yeah, that is a really high cost. He doesn't have to perform anymore wiring. The only thing he may have to do is replace the existing electrical housing with a ceiling fan resistant housing or install a fan brace.

OP - if you're semi-handy, you could do it yourself. It really isn't difficult.

Most ceiling fans have kits to do this yourself now. I've installed fans in about 30 minutes. It's a lot like a light fixture, except the box needs to be secured (some kits have new boxes that don't even need this anymore).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I used to do this myself, but since I got hurt, I have to contract this stuff out. We had a licensed UNION electrician install a couple for us last year...$100. each.
Depending on the fan you put in and the type of box in your ceiling, you may need to install a fan brace and new box to properly support the fan. You REALLY don't want it to come crashing down while it's spinning...and the electrical wiring would be the last thing to let go...(although odds are, it'd just hang wonky for a while...giving you time to notice and correct the problem.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just make sure you use really long screws (I use deck screws) for the base when you screw it to the joist and you'll be fine. I don't understand how they expect people to loop a steel cable over the beam with drywall in place. I just cut the steel safety cable. That is a lot of money for installation. It is best if you have another person help you do it. Much easier for the tricky parts.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
ya we trust this guy and got some estimates for some other work around the house, all of which seemed reasonable - the fans just jumped out at me as over the top. I'm fairly handy, but tend to shudder when electricity is involved. Will see about doing it myself or getting another estimate.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: vi edit
It really just depends on the install. If you have an attic right above you with a decent amount of crawl space they can easily get in there and install any additional wiring and bracing.

If it's in a ceiling that has limited access and requires additional wiring then the labor costs could be much more.

Last year I paid two handymen about $600 to rewire 8 rooms, install 2 ceiling fans, and put in a vent fan over a shower. But everything was very easy to get to and it was about 12 hours worth of work.

Yeah, if this is the first floor of a two story house, I'd say $250 is cheap, otherwise I'd say do it yourself.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I dislike working with electricity too, but I have installed several ceiling fans....one of the easiest jobs around the house....wish they were all like that....any way, as long as you read the directions and follow the manual you'll be fine.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
ya we trust this guy and got some estimates for some other work around the house, all of which seemed reasonable - the fans just jumped out at me as over the top. I'm fairly handy, but tend to shudder when electricity is involved. Will see about doing it myself or getting another estimate.

You can get fans with wireless remote now :) It's not as hard as you think. Standing on a table is much easier than a ladder. So you could just move a table there and stand on it. And the electrical part is easy. Just make sure you do it in the day (open the curtains so you can see) and turn off the breaker. One thing to watch is to note the wiring of existing fixture. If the colours of the wire from the switch match the ones from the lights, you are ok. Otherwise you have to copy down the mapping since the original installed fucked it up.

Also, I did not secure the fan to the box, I screwed it diectly onto the beam. It is offset from the box, you just need a cover for the box if the base of the fan is not big enough to cover it. I would never trust anything hanging from an electrical box.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
DIY. The assembly of the fan itself will take longer than the installation of it. All in all, you should be able to do two fans in less than an hr. if you are semi-handy at all. Just be sure to cut the power off at the box before doing the wiring.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I installed 3 ceiling fans in my upstairs where there previously had been no fixtures. I had to crawl around in a 120+ degree attic and move insulation to run the wiring, quite the learning experience.

Fan boxes are a must, normal electrical boxes will not work unless they are positively screwed to very secure bracing.

My living room fan was a different story, lets just say I had some drywall patching to do after that one.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
that estimate is very high...

you do not need attic access to install the brace... Home Depot has a brace that you can install using the exisiting hole (provided that the hole is in between two joists). The wiring is not difficult...There are 3 wires (4 if you install the light kit)...should only take between 30 - 60 minutes to install depending on how handy you are...