ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
any one work with that company? my boss uses them for everything.... he thinks their good, i don't have reason to complain. . . except they don't have kingmax ram. .

Zeppy

Dec 28, 2000
Everything they have is second rate, over priced, and out dated. Total crap.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
For a time I was very close to cancelling my ThinkPad order with IBM and placing it with CDW because I could get an identical machine in less time. IBM took a week and five months to ship my A21p, CDW could have had it to me sometime in late Nov. instead of mid Dec. Note that the model of computer I got was neither second rate nor outdated. The price was identical to the original IBM quote. I stayed with IBM because I wound up getting nearly $1000 off the price and a free digital camera (est. val. ~$80) because of the amount of time I had to wait. Granted it's just one experience, but based on that I cannot see why Doggiedog and Zeppy dislike CDW so.

Zenmervolt

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't hate them. I just think they are over-priced.

Go do some comparison shopping. Perhaps it is good for corporations that care more about service than price but for guys like me who might buy a single HDD or DRAM, its a complete rip-off.

SenorBiggles

Dec 5, 2000
Back when they were having the "Prize a Day Giveaway", I won an Alps MD-1000 printer. it took them about 6 months to send it to me.

I had to keep e-mailing them about the prize. I felt bad about doing it cause it was free, but they were also pissing me off as well. They would reply to only about half of my e-mails, and the ones they did were form letters.

jsm

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
They are over priced, but I use them since I spend the companies money and I can get POs with them in a heartbeat.

Their customer service is good and their account managers are very professional.

seewhy

Jan 22, 2000
Their headquarter is right next to my house. Well, they sell to companies and those who don't know jack about computer. They have decent product line. Their price is ok, once you establish account with them, they give you coporate discounts...only suckers pay list price on their websites or catalogs. Their strength is good account managers who will know your name, history...etc, plus they got really good information system with all your purchasing history. Buy from them is really easy. That's why they become so big so quick. BTW, it is voted one of the top 100 company to work for in last few years in Forbe Magazine. Good company, just not for individual buyers.

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
I was at their store in Vernon Hills, IL to buy 2 80mm case fans. I asked a guy for help, they said sure. The first says what do you want? I say 2 standard case fans, and after looking at their computers the guy asks me if its for an apple or intel. I'm like wtf, you can buy apple case fans? I respond that this is for a homebuilt system. He looks some more, then asks if this is for an athlon. I'm like its a fan to cool the computer case down, its an 80mm fan, and the cpu doesn't matter. He obviously does not get it. I tell him to look for sunon. He can't find it. I actually got behind the counter and had to help him. All I found were antec fans at 15 bucks a pop, which I thought was too much and I went to look at surge protectors. I asked for help b/c they had no prices listed, but after they told me what they cost, I left.

Some employees knew what they were talking about, I got stuck with a bad apple. But they definately have high prices :)

lavie

Mar 1, 2000
I used to order a lot from CDW over the phone. They discount prices to match the lowest price with anyone on the web or catalog. Sometimes, I can ?name the price? and able to negotiate with the salesperson. The price listed on the web is the ?highest? price listed.
Recently I bought a wide angle lense for Nikon Cool Pix and I negotiated to $90. It is hard enough to find the wide angle lense these days but the price was right. :)