CDRW and AMD Athlon; Hard Disk Controllers

USCG

Sep 10, 2000
OK , Here we go. This has been driving me crazy for about 3 months now. No place else has been able to help. Let me throw it out to you:
6 month old Gateway, AMD Athlon 600 mhz processor, 20 gig HD, 128 meg RAM, Memorex CDRW 2224 (CDRW is from my old 233 Pen machine and only used about 4 months) and Win 98SE.
I have all current software and hardware updates available for the machine (including CDRW). Using NTI (?) CDRW software (updated as well). It will play a CD but hangs up when it goes to the point of writing the table of contents. Then the computer needs to be restarted when it hangs up.
The only thing that I can find is my Hard Disk Controllers (which Memorex tech support said was wrong). In device mgr it is listed as AMD 756 Bus Mastering drivers (primary and secondary). According to Memorex tech site I need to have default Win Hard Disk Controllers installed.
Went to Gateway tech site (won't tell me because it is not part of m my tech support, what the heck did I pay for???) and found the closest thing I could. Heading was for CDRW locks up after upgrading to Win 98 ( I know it wasn't really what my problem was but was close). The tech doc stated to delete the Bus Master Controller and rename a couple folders and reboot thus causing it to load Win drivers. Followed instructions and rebooted. Got this statement: " Win has located new hardware and will install software for it", it did, it loaded AMD 756 Bus Master Controller. Same ones I deleted.
Help me out here, where do I go next? I have e-mailed all tech support involved (Memorex- go to AMD site; AMD- go to Microsoft site; Microsoft- go to Gateway site; Gateway- not covered under your tech support, but you can call this number and pay $3.99 a minute and we will be glad to help!!!!!).
Any response will be greatly appreciated. And if anyone could tell me how to change the Hard Disk Controllers, I may even throw in the wife and the dog for payment.
Thanks,
Rick

zuze

May 19, 2000
hmmm go to go.to/kt7faq and read the disks section. It will tell something about the disconnect feature that could be causing probs.