CDMA compatibility

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
Hi everyone. The fiancee is going to be buying a new smartphone and will be moving to the USA soon. She's from the Philippines and where I live Verizon is pretty much the only carrier with decent coverage. We plan on getting her a pretty decent smartphone... but Verizon uses CDMA and over there it's all GSM. I've read up and found that certain chip sets come with multiple frequencies and are able to accommodate both CDMA and GSM is there a list somewhere or website that shows which chips sets would work??

They have the typical brands as well as some Chinese imported brands such as:
Cherry Mobile
My|Phone

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If I don't get any responses, I may try my luck in the highly technical forum

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
She'd rather have an android phone >_< I didn't mention that.
Reason behind it is iPhones are stupid expensive over there. http://store.apple.com/ph/iphone
Example: Iphone 5s = 30,490 PHP which is ~709 USD.... You can buy the same phone UNLOCKED for 549 USD directly from the Apple store.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Absolutely no non-Verizon phone will be activated on their network. However, every current Verizon phone comes fully SIM unlocked with full 3G GSM (that is, WCDMA/HSPA) support on at least 850, 1900, and 2100 (though not, I think, the hybrid 1900/2100 some carriers there may use).

You *have* to get it from the US if you want to use it on VZ. You could get it full price no contract at a VZ store or just buy a good condition used one from Swappa...

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
Really...? Verizon doesn't allow unlocked phones onto their network unless they originally sold the phone..? * i hadn't contacted Verizon, just talked with people who had I thought done so...?

For example:
HTC One Dual-SIM
HTC One Dual-SIM
Lists:
Network2
SIM1: Up to HSPA (900/2100 MHz) and up to EVDO REV. B(800 MHz)

SIM2: Up to EDGE (900/1800/1900 MHz)
Which doesn't mean a whole lot to me...? Lemme know :) I'm all for learning!

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Exactly. They're CDMA so they don't have to follow GSM "activate it all" protocol.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
s44 is correct. If you need to get her a phone that will work there and here,you should buy a Verizon branded device and send it to her.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
It's a mess, basically.

Not only that, but you could buy a dual SIM phone like that which would have the same radios as a Verizon phone, but it is designed to function in China (use one SIM on CDMA, one on GSM) and it won't work here.

You could take any of the modern Verizon LTE phones, take them overseas, and use them with little to no problem (possibly being limited on LTE bands depending on country/carrier, but outside of that should have full 2/3/3.5G ability). They are all SIM unlocked as well, so no unlocking required.

Feb 19, 2001
It's a mess, basically.

Not only that, but you could buy a dual SIM phone like that which would have the same radios as a Verizon phone, but it is designed to function in China (use one SIM on CDMA, one on GSM) and it won't work here.

You could take any of the modern Verizon LTE phones, take them overseas, and use them with little to no problem (possibly being limited on LTE bands depending on country/carrier, but outside of that should have full 2/3/3.5G ability). They are all SIM unlocked as well, so no unlocking required.
China uses TD-SCDMA anyway so it wouldn't be compatible with Verizon's CDMA.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I would probably just buy a cheap motoG and send it to her. Then worry about a Verizon phone when she's actually here.

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
We're looking to spend around $300~ for her phone there at most. It's pretty disheartening to hear that there isn't a phone that will work with Verizon that's made over there >_< :( She'd prefer Android based phones. Suggestions are welcome.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
You have to buy a Verizon activated phone here in the US and send it to her. That's the only way. Verizon won't activate a phone that wasn't built for their network and they check imei for the phone against their database to ensure that you aren't activating a non Verizon phone. There is no way around that.