CCFL near ethernet runs = bad idea?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is this a bad idea?

dsc02781.JPG

It's too late now since I already ran the light fixture, but I just came to the realization that the location was probably not all that smart.

Think this is having a bad effect on my potential network speeds? I'm getting a few hundred mbps still, so guess it's ok.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Is this a bad idea?

dsc02781.JPG

It's too late now since I already ran the light fixture, but I just came to the realization that the location was probably not all that smart.

Think this is having a bad effect on my potential network speeds? I'm getting a few hundred mbps still, so guess it's ok.

It has the possibility of sucking in a fairly major way; parallel or perpendicular, CFLs can be the worse thing to ever happen to interference sensitive equipment.

We had one on a person's back porch that wiped out signal for two houses each way. They are all radiating to some degree, some of the cheaper ones (not necessarily cheapest) are like a bad fluorescent balun on steroids ... because the voltage is modulated at high frequency, in many cases Very High Frequency (VHF) because RF can jump greater distances (read: less power to jump a wider gap ... power savings, get it?).

IMO, lose the CFL and put in an incandescent, maybe try a halogen if you're so Green that you'd want to sacrifice network performance to save a few watts now & then.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It has the possibility of sucking in a fairly major way; parallel or perpendicular, CFLs can be the worse thing to ever happen to interference sensitive equipment.

We had one on a person's back porch that wiped out signal for two houses each way. They are all radiating to some degree, some of the cheaper ones (not necessarily cheapest) are like a bad fluorescent balun on steroids ... because the voltage is modulated at high frequency, in many cases Very High Frequency (VHF) because RF can jump greater distances (read: less power to jump a wider gap ... power savings, get it?).

IMO, lose the CFL and put in an incandescent, maybe try a halogen if you're so Green that you'd want to sacrifice network performance to save a few watts now & then.

Think that's what I'll do. It's not causing issues right now but once I set that up as the server room I may need to change it up. I added them mostly for their brighter, whiter light and once that room is enclosed I'll probably just wire them to a switch on the wall. But yeah think I'll just replace the bulbs with incads if it can be an issue. I do know CFLs make my voltage testing beeper thingy go whacky.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Get low harmonic CFLs if you're worried about distortion on the line. The line would have to be really close too!

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Well it would take you all of 5 minutes to move the fixture. I would go back to incandescent if you are not going to move anything. You could foil wrap that part of the CAT5 run and then ground the foil to get rid of the high frequency noise but it would take less time to just move the fixture or put in an incandescent bulb. Measure your transfer speeds with the bulb on and the bulb off and see if it even matters.

Perry

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Well it would take you all of 5 minutes to move the fixture. I would go back to incandescent if you are not going to move anything. You could foil wrap that part of the CAT5 run and then ground the foil to get rid of the high frequency noise but it would take less time to just move the fixture or put in an incandescent bulb. Measure your transfer speeds with the bulb on and the bulb off and see if it even matters.

Perry

Not necessarily effective, especially since most CFL bulbs degrade and and get uglier as they age ... kind of like old network guys.

Lose 'em completely, they suck. They will ultimately cause way more problems than they allegedly solve.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Perry

Actually I thought of foil but did not figure it would work very well. Would be much faster then running new wire and moving it though, and I plan to have more cabling running to that room in the future so it would be pointless. It's also strategically placed for most effective lighting.

I'll have to try with it on/off and see if there really is a difference. I was just thinking, most server rooms have neon tube lights which are probably just as bad if worse then CCFLs, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing that it will cause issues. Worse comes to worse I'll just put a regular bulb. I just like the white light CCFLs produce while incads tend to produce a yellowish light that is not as bright.

Dec 26, 2007
Actually I thought of foil but did not figure it would work very well. Would be much faster then running new wire and moving it though, and I plan to have more cabling running to that room in the future so it would be pointless. It's also strategically placed for most effective lighting.

I'll have to try with it on/off and see if there really is a difference. I was just thinking, most server rooms have neon tube lights which are probably just as bad if worse then CCFLs, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing that it will cause issues. Worse comes to worse I'll just put a regular bulb. I just like the white light CCFLs produce while incads tend to produce a yellowish light that is not as bright.

Which are usually located out of the way of data cable runs.

Generally they aren't closer than a few feet of data cables in a properly designed data center.