cavity filling vs. root canal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bandXtrb, Oct 10, 2001.

1. bandXtrb

bandXtrb Banned

Today I had cavitiy filling(s) done, and it wasn't as bad as I imagined (didn't go to the dentist in a long time). It was very, very, very uncomfortable, yes, but it was tolerable.

I am to have a root canal soon. How bad (painful) is this compared to the cavity filling procedure?

2. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

Much worse.

3. FuZoR

FuZoR Diamond Member

Never had a root canal... but i heard it HURTS.

4. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

My dad said it was terrible, and this is a guy who cut his own leg off with a penknife to free himself from a trapped car and merely called the experience "unfortunate".

5. bandXtrb

bandXtrb Banned

heh... I'll see.

6. raz

raz Banned

I had a root canal done many moons ago. I'm not going to say it didn't hurt, but it ain't all that bad.

Just had a wisdom tooth pulled a couple of weeks ago...the freeking dentist chipped the adjoining tooth while doing it. Broke it right in half. Now that stung!

7. beat mania

beat mania Platinum Member

Root canal kinda hurt if they have to do it multiple times, cuz the dentist don't dare to use enough medicine to completely numb you for fear of overdose. I've had it done with minimum drugging now that FREAKING hurt.
    And I think it depends on how serious it is too because if alot of your nerves are dead you wouldn't feel much of it anyway right?

8. ingenue007

ingenue007 Senior member

A root canal shouldn't hurt if you have a good dentist. He/she will know how much lidocaine/novacaine to give you to dull the sensations. You shouldn't feel much/anything as the needles are pushed in to destroy the roots. I don't know the exact procedure but will soon enough.

- dental student at #1 dental school in the nation.

9. bonkers325

bonkers325 Lifer

<< Today I had cavitiy filling(s) done, and it wasn't as bad as I imagined (didn't go to the dentist in a long time). It was very, very, very uncomfortable, yes, but it was tolerable.

I am to have a root canal soon. How bad (painful) is this compared to the cavity filling procedure?
    >>

if numbed u will be fine

10. Renob

Renob Diamond Member

Dude I have had four root canals and there a piece of cake, my dentist is so cool he starts you off on GAS the your get to listen to some tunes I brought my own cd some old Black Sabbath then after a few minutes he gives you the shots and I never feel a thing..... Just tell your guy if you fill it that you want more shots...

11. d0ofy

d0ofy Golden Member

I've had a few root canals, and they weren't that bad at all. Just ask for more novocaine. I asked my dentist to hook it up, and I didn't feel a thing, other than the violent jerking. The downside is that you'll be numb for the next 24 hours.

12. Amused

Amused Elite Member

I've had three root canals. Two were virtually painless, and one was horrible. It all depends on your dentist, the shape of your roots, if there is any infection, and the condition of the root material itself.