Caution: PSA/*** GTX 580 Back Plate Alert***\PSA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
The pins would surely abrade through the thin paint in time thanks to the vibrations coming from the GPU fan.

I'm not sold on the idea that this backplate does much for the GPU though. This smacks of those supposed signal booster strips you could buy and tape to your cellphone battery and magically it would enhance the internal antenna and your reception was supposed to improve.

I see a lot of anecdotal claims it improves cooling, but zero data or actual reviews of any sort to be had. I don't hold it against anyone, to each their own, but I'm not compelled to buy one as no one has shown me the benefits of doing so.

My favorite were those "Tornado" metal inserts for cars that were supposed to boost horsepower and gas mileage by putting them in the air intake.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
My favorite were those "Tornado" metal inserts for cars that were supposed to boost horsepower and gas mileage by putting them in the air intake.

LOL, forgot about those. True story, I'm a novice greasemonkey so I worked on my cylinders once, replaced some gaskets, deglazed, the usual...and one time I suddenly went from getting 25mpg to 45mpg. I thought I was a genius. ZOMFG I did it! My elbow grease nearly doubled my gas mileage, surely that was the only reasonable explanation.

Fast forward 2 weeks later I decide if once did the trick then a second time would be even better, so I pull the head off the block. Lo and behold I came to see that what had happened was my aluminum cylinders were pitting (badly, dimples the size of quarters and 1/4" deep too) and it was the extra energy coming from the oxidation of the aluminum that was boosting my apparent gas mileage.

So the secret to doubling your gas mileage is easy enough, just use your $100 cylinder heads as a sacrificial fuel source and you'll get there. Sure it ends up costing you around $1 per mile you drive but god damn if you ain't saving the environment in the process :p lol :)

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Aluminum heat shiels are used under carburetors to stop fuel from boiling in the bowls. So it stops heat from directly rising. Might these plates do something similar to the card above it, or the the cpu cooler. The plate holds and deflects the heat, somewhat.

hly-108-70_w_m.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-108-70/

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
@IDC
How did it start corroding in the first place? The cleaner you used? You must have been severely down on power no?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I didn't buy it for cooling purposes but protection purposes as I already mentioned a ram stock fell on top of it while I was trying to clip it in. incidentally I ended up protecting the card from the plate, lol

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Btw, what's up with all this off topic banter. Not that I care, just surprised its coming from a mod.

Please don't take this as a mod call out idc

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Btw, what's up with all this off topic banter. Not that I care, just surprised its coming from a mod.

Please don't take this as a mod call out idc

There's two posts...one from zimzum where he expanded the topic on shady marketing and my response to it. Both of which happened because I questioned the practical value of the backplate itself and gave an example from personal experience as a prequalifier for my suspicions.

If it is unwelcome then you need only say as much and you are entitled to expect it to go no further. No different than any other thread and any other OP.

Also, it needs to be said: I'm not posting as a mod in here, these are member posts. They aren't coming from a mod, they are coming from a fellow forum colleague named Idontcare.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
No problem, besides I'm reading and posting from my phone and things trend to get misconstrued. So I apologize for that

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
No problem, besides I'm reading and posting from my phone and things trend to get misconstrued. So I apologize for that

Its cool, besides you actually deftly addressed the question already - its not so much for the cooling attributes but more for the physical barrier/protection attributes.

I had not thought of this, its a great point you make.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Its cool, besides you actually deftly addressed the question already - its not so much for the cooling attributes but more for the physical barrier/protection attributes.

I had not thought of this, its a great point you make.
The backplate made a world of difference in terms of sturdiness before I replaced the cooler on my 6950. Now I am afraid of holding the card in my hand cause I think the PCB will break or I may screw something up on the PCB.