CATs 8.10 Drivers Released

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
In Brothers in Arm hell's highway rain level the screen turns completely black. Does anyone have the same issue?

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
I've seen posts stating that The Witcher is completely borked by the 8.10 drivers. Sad to say this seems to be true.

Jumped the gun a bit. Uninstalled and deleted all ATI folders I could find and ran ccleaner. Re-installed and everything seems to be fine. Hopefully I won't get the crashes others have reported.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Majic 7
I've seen posts stating that The Witcher is completely borked by the 8.10 drivers. Sad to say this seems to be true.

Jumped the gun a bit. Uninstalled and deleted all ATI folders I could find and ran ccleaner. Re-installed and everything seems to be fine. Hopefully I won't get the crashes others have reported.

Not true,I have been playing "The Witcher" 5 minutes ago with my CATs 8.10 on Vista x64,working fine(I have the original Witcher version updated to the Enhanced version via their website).

Make sure you have latest DX9.0c version installed(Aug 2008) even in Vista.

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by: GaiaHunter
Good thing my fan is barely audible at 75% and under that I've too look either at the card or at the temperature control to see if its spinning or not.

While its not perfect, its a step in the right way. I'm enjoying not to be bothered with profiles anymore.

You're Deaf,, LOL

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
Originally posted by: Mem

Not true,I have been playing "The Witcher" 5 minutes ago with my CATs 8.10 on Vista x64,working fine(I have the original Witcher version updated to the Enhanced version via their website).

My first install of the 8.10s gave me weird graphical corruption. It was like a bunch of semi-transparent overlays and took forever to load. Re-install fixed everything. Already had the Aug. 9.0cs. I have Oblivion installed and it gave me no trouble at all, don't play it much anymore but it is a reasonable bench tool.

Griswold

Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: soybeast
holy crap, you don't have to uninstall the old drivers OR reboot! that's friggin amazing. ati's drivers have come a long long way! (Vista 64 here btw)

Thats old news since 8.6. They even mentioned this in the 8.6 release notes as a new feature. If you "upgrade" (install without uninstalling CCC (not just the driver part)), there is no need for a reboot. This has been working for me every single time since june under vista64.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Same for me, no problems in The Witcher.

Spamdini

May 24, 2004
holy crap, you don't have to uninstall the old drivers OR reboot! that's friggin amazing. ati's drivers have come a long long way! (Vista 64 here btw)

is this true? if so how do i do it, only dl and install the display drivers?

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
This broke my Witcher game. textures running all over the place, game not loading correctly... This is using Vista 64 and a 4870.

Maybe I did something wrong? I uninstalled old drivers, rebooted, installed new drivers, rebooted again. Maybe I missed something?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: linkgoron
This broke my Witcher game. textures running all over the place, game not loading correctly... This is using Vista 64 and a 4870.

Maybe I did something wrong? I uninstalled old drivers, rebooted, installed new drivers, rebooted again. Maybe I missed something?

Very strange since I too have 4870/Vista x64 and its works fine, did you try running FurMark ,do you get any artifacts onscreen in Furmark or any other games?

Don't forget to install latest DX9.0C Aug 2008 from here .

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: linkgoron

Very strange since I too have 4870/Vista x64 and its works fine, did you try running FurMark ,do you get any artifacts onscreen in Furmark or any other games?

Don't forget to install latest DX9.0C Aug 2008 from here .

I installed DX aug the same day they released it.

Maybe tommorow I'll reinstall those drivers (I'll use Driver Sweeper before installing new drivers). For now, I'll stay with what I've got. I'll try running FurMark.

And no, after all that artifacting I did a system restore.

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
Don't know why people seem to be missing the fact that after re-installing the 8.10s everything in The Witcher is fine for me. linkoron, you might try what I did, remove all ATI folders you can find, I found one that had four old drivers or something in it. Had the numbers of all drivers I have used so far on this system, anyway. Deleted all profiles and then used ccleaner to remove a couple of registry things. Your problem sounds similar to what I was experiencing.

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
Thought this was worth a new post and bump. I've had Mass Effect installed for about three weeks now and could not get anything past the splash screen. Wasted an install and didn't load the the addon, nothing helped, the game just wouldn't run. The only thing I found on Bioware's forums was someone posted that he had an email from Bioware stating that XFi Gamer wasn't supported. Which really ticked me off, total nonsense. Read a post that said lowering system sound volume made his game start. Tried it and the game started. Thought about it and set volume back to where I had it and the game still started. Evidently the 8.10s fixed whatever my problem was. Don't know why because I have seen all my components running the game on other peoples systems. Well, whatever, it runs now.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The fan control rocks. I installed the 8.10's last night and spent 10 minutes just changing the fan speed and listening to it speed up and slow down. Simple amusements for simple minds, I guess. :D

So far, everything seems to be working well.

Dec 9, 2003
Maybe I'm doin something wrong. Everytime I try to install 8.10 it gives me an error and won't let me install it. Tried installing it over 8.9 and after I uninstalled 8.9. Also after a fresh reboot and still the same.

Error:
"Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current Hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have all the required hardware or software."

I'm running a 4870 with Win 64bit.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005

I had the same experience. That's kinda nice. Just popped the drivers in and it ran perfectly. Fixed the horrid motion graphics issues I was having with 8.9 too.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: coolpurplefan
If anyone is having Blu-Ray issues can you say which card you have?

8.10 is giving me no issues. 8.9 did, big-time. See sig below.

***EDIT*** Woo hoo! Golden Member at last! Do I get a prize or something? :p

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky

***EDIT*** Woo hoo! Golden Member at last! Do I get a prize or something? :p

Yup, you'll receive a golden watch through mail. :p