Catholicism Will Be,.. Outlawed??

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ive-christian-oppression-religious-minorities

Contrast that with the exaggerated sense of victimhood on full display recently in Washington DC when former presidential candidate Rick Santorum debuted the “documentary” One Generation Away. This film uses interviews with dozens of prominent Christian conservatives – from staunch Catholics to evangelical Protestant – to make the case that religious freedom in America is on the brink of complete destruction.

One particularly startling quote came from Cardinal Francis George, the archbishop of Chicago, who said, “I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square.”

I seem to have missed the movement to outlaw Catholicism,.. let alone persecute and punish those who follow it. Something like this would have made much more noise, than just a documentary pitched by Rick Santorum.

Personally, religion is OK in my book; I even believe in Jesus Christ.

And, if you don't want to believe in Jesus, or Allah, or the Spaghetti Monster, or a toaster,... not an issue with me.

I do however take great insult when religion is forced into laws. Or, more to the topic on hand; religion proclaims itself the victim, when it is not allowed to dictate how others should live, via laws. Religion should be welcoming of followers, not enforcing of followers - the latter is oppression and quite contrary to what Christianity is all about.

Oh, and for those who don't "trust" the initial link, here is something a little more reputable; http://time.com/2907140/rick-santorum-nazi-film-one-generation/

The trailer makes the film’s overall position clear: religious freedom in the U.S. is under attack.

Again,.. it is??

Dec 10, 2005
Starring:
beakermuppet.jpg

Now with more hair on fire!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Oh gee, an organization based on fear tactics is spreading fear....go figure.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What if we had the government enforce religious laws but only on the religious? :hmm:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
No no, the religious only want OTHER people persecuted by their laws, not themselves.

I know that's what they want, but I think we could get all major religions on board if we gave the local minister / priest / pastor the ability to collect tithes directly from their followers paychecks via the IRS. In whatever amounts they felt was appropriate!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't think religious freedom is under attack. But christianity is losing its grip here and starting to be expected to play by the same rules as the other religions. Christians used to getting preferential treatment probably see this as an eroding of their rights when really it was unfair privilege they probably never should have had. Just because I don't want the ten commandments in a court house or my money to tell me we trust in god doesn't mean I don't recognize your right to believe in whatever or whoever.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
They've experienced a disproportionate share of power for so long that the change to less power and influence is on some minute scale a measure of "religious persecution".

I expect nothing less from the likes of Santorum and his ilk; their religious FUD goes over well within the ranks of the "true" believers who more than anything else wish to be perceived as their saviour was, persecuted.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Neither is ok, an obviously your example is not better.

What's sad is that religious people in America, specifically Christians, seem to believe that this country was founded around they're religion. I don't know if they missed history class or it just wasn't taught to them.

Some good explanations by SlowSpyder and alzan.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014

I guess you are trying to say that at least these Christians here, aren't like those Muslims over there. Could you at least keep it to here? What you posted, is happening in other parts of the world. We are talking about the USA,.. and I do not recall Muslims forcing their religion and views on Americans, on American soil - and, when rejected, they have killed someone (instead of acting like the victim, as Christians do here).

I may have very well missed this - so, link me if this is indeed happening - again, on American soil.

I mean, there is even a member of the US Government involved in this story.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The plague of people who refuse to think for themselves and refuse to allow others to do the same is spreading.

No, I'm not talking about religious people. I'm talking about fundamentalists, both religious and not, and liberals who think they know better than you do.

What's it to you if someone wants to have a religion teach them morals or whatever? I could care less. It doesn't bother or affect me or you in any way, so why should you care?

I don't necessarily think he's wrong...but his timetable might be a little near. We're already in "If you see something, say something" territory. The propaganda machine is rolling. Thought-crime is beginning to become a reality. It honestly won't be long until we're in full on 1984.

obama-ingsoc.jpg

Dec 10, 2005
What's it to you if someone wants to have a religion teach them morals or whatever? I could care less. It doesn't bother or affect me or you in any way, so why should you care?

I don't think most people care if people use religion to teach morals. The problem is when people try to use public resources to push their religion and beliefs.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
People who don't buy religion hook-line-and sinker don't think for themselves? Shens.

Most free thinkers don't care if you teach religious based morals. It's when those same people now think they're morals need to apply to everyone, and need to be legislated that you get push back.

1984 may be coming, but it has nothing to do with this. Religion has been a tool to control the masses since it's beginning. And that doesn't just apply to Christianity.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
People who don't buy religion hook-line-and sinker don't think for themselves? Shens.

What does it mean to "think for yourself" anyway? Either way, people cave in to societal pressures most of the time, and their way of thinking is a reflection of that.

Somehow, "thinking for yourself" means "atheist" nowadays. No, I'd argue that your enviroment shapes your thinking and acceptance more than anything else.

Grow up in a secular home, you'd be non-religious. Grow up in a Christian home, you'd be Christian. Grow up in a Muslim home, you'd be Muslim.

No one really "thinks for themselves" when you think about it -- your thinking is almost always heavily influence by your evironment.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
What would be an example of a religious only law?
Wells since I keep hearing how there is no separation of church and state and there's no freedom from religion just freedom of religion. Just think how awesome it will be if the government enforces all religious edicts on the religious!

A Baptist gets busted for DUI, also gets busted for drinking alcohol period. Or hell gets busted for coming out of country western dance bar for drinking and dancing!

Mormons arrested/fined for drinking Starbucks!

Catholics prevented from buying birth control!

If your religion prevents you from serving gays at your business then there'd be fines for serving gay patrons. But also fines if you didn't serve gay patrons based on existing law!

Plus like I said, everyone attending a church's should be paying whatever tithe their clergy deems is right. So pull it directly from income or investments via the IRS.

Of course since this would still be the US you could sign an affidavit saying you are no longer a member of whatever church who's rules you are getting busted for. Your former church would be notified why you are dropping them and that they couldn't garnish your wages anymore for tithe.

Busting down that wall of separation will be great!

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
The plague of people who refuse to think for themselves and refuse to allow others to do the same is spreading.

No, I'm not talking about religious people. I'm talking about fundamentalists, both religious and not, and liberals who think they know better than you do.

I don't necessarily think he's wrong...but his timetable might be a little near. We're already in "If you see something, say something" territory. The propaganda machine is rolling. Thought-crime is beginning to become a reality. It honestly won't be long until we're in full on 1984.

obama-ingsoc.jpg

Yup, this is clearly a problem that conservatives are exempt from.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ive-christian-oppression-religious-minorities

I seem to have missed the movement to outlaw Catholicism,.. let alone persecute and punish those who follow it. Something like this would have made much more noise, than just a documentary pitched by Rick Santorum.

Personally, religion is OK in my book; I even believe in Jesus Christ.

And, if you don't want to believe in Jesus, or Allah, or the Spaghetti Monster, or a toaster,... not an issue with me.

I do however take great insult when religion is forced into laws. Or, more to the topic on hand; religion proclaims itself the victim, when it is not allowed to dictate how others should live, via laws. Religion should be welcoming of followers, not enforcing of followers - the latter is oppression and quite contrary to what Christianity is all about.

Oh, and for those who don't "trust" the initial link, here is something a little more reputable; http://time.com/2907140/rick-santorum-nazi-film-one-generation/

Again,.. it is??

Where is religion forced into laws?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Catholicism Will Be,.. Outlawed??

I seem to have missed the movement to outlaw Catholicism,.. let alone persecute and punish those who follow it.

Yes, it is being outlawed, just look at today and this is the deep south:

8-20-2014

http://wgntv.com/2014/08/20/girl-suspended-for-saying-bless-you-at-school/

Girl suspended for saying ‘bless you’ at school

A young girl in Tennessee says she was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

Turner feels her teacher was taking issue for her religion. When she stood up for herself, Turner says she was told to go to the administrator’s office. She was later placed in in-school suspension for the rest of that class period.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

That's not what I said.

What I said is that people who refuse to think for themselves and blindly accept whatever they're told by whatever governing body they look to are a plague. I also said that the people who refuse to let other people think for themselves (i.e. those who treat anyone religious or who doesn't follow their own religion like an idiot or second-rate person) are also a plague.