Catering to Obesity vs Equality for Plus-Sized People

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Yahoo
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fast-food chains may be introducing more healthful menu items such as salads and major food manufacturers may be trimming portion sizes, but not everyone has joined the fight against obesity.

An increasing number of entrepreneurs have discovered there's big money to be made out of catering to Americans' bulging waistlines -- without seeking to trim them down.

Nearly one-third of American adults are obese (a Body Mass Index of 30 or more), according to the Centers for Disease Control. In 2000, more than 300 million adults in the world were obese and 1 billion were overweight, according to the World Health Organization (news - web sites).

"What we need is a solution to the obesity, but what we have is people feeding the problem to make money off the obese people," said Epstein of Euro RSCG Tatham. "Sadly, this is to be expected in a capitalistic economy."

"I don't look at it that way," said Ferrante of Fatcities.com. "The fact of the matter is that we're big, and we need the same things that thin people do."

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
"I'm an idiot" said Ferrante of Fatcities.com. "The fact of the matter is that I want to die at an early age and be unhealthy."

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I split the average serving with a family member @ restaurants, & it keeps being reinforced when I look around & see 300+ lb customers surrounding me:disgust:

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
"Its amenities include large armless chairs, wide steps with railings in swimming pools, walk-in showers instead of bathtubs, stronger hammocks and a staff steeped in sensitivity training. "

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Why can't people be responsible for themselves? If you're overweight and you know it, why not take control your diet to lower your weight?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
"We are no longer a niche market. Overweight people are the majority in this country," 324-pound Mindy Sommers
I don't think that 324+ pound people are the majority

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Spencer278
"We are no longer a niche market. Overweight people are the majority in this country," 324-pound Mindy Sommers
I don't think that 324+ pound people are the majority

Well, each one of them = TWO people.. so they might be close :p

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Dari
Why can't people be responsible for themselves? If you're overweight and you know it, why not take control your diet to lower your weight?

There is no such thing as personal responsibility in America anymore.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Yahoo
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fast-food chains may be introducing more healthful menu items such as salads and major food manufacturers may be trimming portion sizes, but not everyone has joined the fight against obesity.

An increasing number of entrepreneurs have discovered there's big money to be made out of catering to Americans' bulging waistlines -- without seeking to trim them down.

Nearly one-third of American adults are obese (a Body Mass Index of 30 or more), according to the Centers for Disease Control. In 2000, more than 300 million adults in the world were obese and 1 billion were overweight, according to the World Health Organization (news - web sites).

"What we need is a solution to the obesity, but what we have is people feeding the problem to make money off the obese people," said Epstein of Euro RSCG Tatham. "Sadly, this is to be expected in a capitalistic economy."

"I don't look at it that way," said Ferrante of Fatcities.com. "The fact of the matter is that we're big, and we need the same things that thin people do."

That was their first mistake.. Using the BMI I mean. I Arnolds prime his was 42.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: daniel1113

That unfortunately seems to be the case:(

CkG

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: daniel1113

That unfortunately seems to be the case:(

CkG

agreed

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
That was their first mistake.. Using the BMI I mean. I Arnolds prime his was 42.
That's not a problem b/c only a tiny fraction of the US population has Arnold like aspirations. Granted, due to his alchohol, tobacco, and possibly dietary habits Arnold has had at least two valve replacements I believe. In my prime, my BMI was 28. I then ballooned to 30 . . . now I'm a 25. The typical American with a BMI over 25 is overweight and those over 28 are obese.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
That's not a problem b/c only a tiny fraction of the US population has Arnold like aspirations. Granted, due to his alchohol, tobacco, and possibly dietary habits Arnold has had at least two valve replacements I believe. In my prime, my BMI was 28. I then ballooned to 30 . . . now I'm a 25. The typical American with a BMI over 25 is overweight and those over 28 are obese.

I think body fat is a better measurment. I'm 18% fat at 245 at 6'3" but score 38 on BMI. Funny this obese guy can still run a 6min mile and dunk a real live BB. Maybe you'd call this obese as my silly doctor did when he said according his charts I should be 195...Riiiight I've hav'nt weighed that since 10th grade. I still could loose 10 lbs but I eat very well cooking without sugars, yeasts, hydrogenated oils, etc.

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Why does there need to be equality for people who can't control themselves? I don't have respect and I'm not going to coat the sides of my office doors in Crisco so that these people can waddle themselves through.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: rawoutput
Why does there need to be equality for people who can't control themselves? I don't have respect and I'm not going to coat the sides of my office doors in Crisco so that these people can waddle themselves through.

I disagree. They deserve equality... meaning that you have to treat obese people the same as skinny people. However, they don't deserve special treatment. Unfortunately, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if colleges started to have admissions quotas based on weight... after all, it must be awefully hard to be obese, and even more difficult to get into college with such an illness...

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Bodyfat curves plotted with mordity/mortality are identical to BMI curves plotted with morbidity/mortality. Both curves are J-shaped which means people with really low BMI/adiposity tend to be unhealthy and people with really high BMI/adiposity tend to be unhealthy. The nadir of both curves represent the BMI/adiposity corresponding to the healthiest portion of the population. Those charts are general guides not gospel. Based on your stats you could stand to lose a few pounds but assuming your physique matches your demeanor . . . bold bordering on audacious . . . there's no way you could ever be anything but overweight if not obese according to a BMI chart. But like Arnold, these charts were not made for you they were made for the general population.

Keep up the good diet and exercise . . . granted I assume those 6mi are not a daily routine.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Bodyfat curves plotted with mordity/mortality are identical to BMI curves plotted with morbidity/mortality. Both curves are J-shaped which means people with really low BMI/adiposity tend to be unhealthy and people with really high BMI/adiposity tend to be unhealthy. The nadir of both curves represent the BMI/adiposity corresponding to the healthiest portion of the population. Those charts are general guides not gospel. Based on your stats you could stand to lose a few pounds but assuming your physique matches your demeanor . . . bold bordering on audacious . . . there's no way you could ever be anything but overweight if not obese according to a BMI chart. But like Arnold, these charts were not made for you they were made for the general population.

Keep up the good diet and exercise . . . granted I assume those 6mi are not a daily routine.

Thanks Bali need a little head check now and then..:p

No I can't run a lot because I've broken so many bones with audacious behavior on motorbikes, on the court or anyplace else as a youngin but I treadmill/speedwalk at 6 mph each morning for 45 min. before hitting the weights. But I like pain so I force mayself to do a couple street miles now and then.

PS -still have rod in one tibia driving my knee nuts:p
Pss.. Do you have a link to these charts? You realise every Linebacker running back and expecially the linemen in the NFL are all obsese right? and are in better shape than 99% of the pop? This is why BMI is so poor of a measurement of overall heath and wieght. And frankly I don't believe worth the laminated posterboard paper it's printed on in my doctors office.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: rawoutput

Laugh now. A third of you will be fat by 30. Half of you will be fat by 40. So will your beautiful wives. Ignorant bigots like you were burning crosses 50 years ago.