Catalyst 15.7 and Wolfenstein:The Old Blood

Carnage1986

Apr 8, 2014
The first game i played(in fact i tried to play) after Catalyst 15.7 was Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. I'm using R9 270X and Windows 8.1. (All of the driver settings are default) I ran the game yesterday and i saw weird artifacts on the screen. Taking a screenshot or record the gameplay video is meaningless because the image that taken from the frame buffer is flawless. I'm gonna try to describe them(it's very hard for me): There are some blue or violet(or the same color of the area) boxes flickering on the screen and the number of boxes increase when i move, or turn left or right. When i stop to move the character, most of the artifacts disappear. After playing couple of minutes stopping the movement doesn't help. It seems like pure hardware error a lot. I quitted from the game and tried another game(Dirt:Rally) i didn't see any artifacts.

I started to think and i remembered that i encountered some problems with Wolfenstein: The New Order. Here's the thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2400450&highlight=

But they weren't horrible as i saw yesterday.

I rolled back to Catalyst 14.12(I preferred to stay away from the betas) and the problem solved. There's no graphical corruption(even common problems like z-fighting or texture flickering)

Here's my questions:

1/Was it a hardware error that some drivers can easily mask and some of them can't? I'm asking this because it seems like very hardware problem.

2/Has anyone seen the same or similar problem? Is my card the only one that troubles Wolf:Old Blood with Cat 15.7?

Last edited:

Gundark

May 1, 2011
I noticed in emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin that using Ogl gives messed up picture (mostly like some white volumetric light that overtaking everything else). I'm on HD 6790 and Win 8.1 so I guess that with Catalyst 15.7 they did mess up Ogl. I also didn't install AfterBurner. I didn't revert driver because i switched to D3D plugins. We'll see what comes out of it.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For openGL, there is no need to revert everything back to the older drivers.
All you need to do is extract the openGL drivers from them, and copy over your current openGL driver.
You can even copy the atioglxx.dll into the directory where the program is launched from (the .exe file) and it will use that version of openGL instead of the systems.

All you need is 7zip, unpack the installer of the drivers that work, find atioglxx.dl_, unpack that (with 7zip), and then you should see a atioglxx.dll.
Now copy that to where you want.

Carnage1986

Apr 8, 2014
Thanks for all replies.

For openGL, there is no need to revert everything back to the older drivers.
All you need to do is extract the openGL drivers from them, and copy over your current openGL driver.
You can even copy the atioglxx.dll into the directory where the program is launched from (the .exe file) and it will use that version of openGL instead of the systems.

All you need is 7zip, unpack the installer of the drivers that work, find atioglxx.dl_, unpack that (with 7zip), and then you should see a atioglxx.dll.
Now copy that to where you want.

I'll try this. Thanks.

I have found an interesting partial solution to my problem: I made a small Google resarch and i read about virtual texture problems. According to these articles the virtual texture thing can cause some kind of artifacts.

From Steam forums:

37C1145E8461A9BE05D5F33A71DA8939198C7D7A

My artifacts are not the same as in this picture but these artifacts are very severe. Their problem is related with CUDA accelearation at the megatexture compression. Enabling or disabling virtual texture compression doesn't make a difference on me.

But enabling Adaptive V-SYNC and lowering all graphical settings together reduces the number of these glitches. If I only disable V-SYNC and enable adaptive v-sync(in game menu) or only lower the graphical quality doesn't work.

Last edited:

gohan123

Aug 2, 2015
I have the same problem on win10 with 15.7.1, but extracting the atioglxx.dll from 14.12 solves nothing for me.

edit: disabling vsync solves the problem but the tearing is as annoying as the glitches. adaptive sync isn't working for me, it's the same like disabling it.

9eeab5-1438572544.jpg

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I have the same problem on win10 with 15.7.1, but extracting the atioglxx.dll from 14.12 solves nothing for me.

edit: disabling vsync solves the problem but the tearing is as annoying as the glitches. adaptive sync isn't working for me, it's the same like disabling it.
Did you replace the system atioglxx.dll, or did you copy atioglxx.dll to the program location?

Carnage1986

Apr 8, 2014
Did you replace the system atioglxx.dll, or did you copy atioglxx.dll to the program location?

It doesn't work for me. But it solves another problem: The opening cinematic was stuttering until this time(even 14.12), now it runs smoothly. Thanks for that.

Adaptive V-SYNC and reducing the Max PFF reduces the number of glitches. But doesn't prevent all of artifacts.

@gohan123: Your glitches are not the same of mine. And the artifacts on your machine seen in the screenshots. I took nearly one hundred screenshots but all of them are flawless. I think this is the biggest difference.

Last edited:

gohan123

Aug 2, 2015
It doesn't work for me. But it solves another problem: The opening cinematic was stuttering until this time(even 14.12), now it runs smoothly. Thanks for that.

Adaptive V-SYNC and reducing the Max PFF reduces the number of glitches. But doesn't prevent all of artifacts.

@gohan123: Your glitches are not the same of mine. And the artifacts on your machine seen in the screenshots. I took nearly one hundred screenshots but all of them are flawless. I think this is the biggest difference.

it depends on the location, if I'm outside in the snow, they are violett / blue like you described. I took the screenshots with fraps and I needed to shake the camera. if I stay still, there are no glitches on the screenshots.

edit: i tried to record it with fraps but there are no glitches on recording

Last edited:

Carnage1986

Apr 8, 2014
it depends on the location, if I'm outside in the snow, they are violett / blue like you described. I took the screenshots with fraps and I needed to shake the camera. if I stay still, there are no glitches on the screenshots.

edit: i tried to record it with fraps but there are no glitches on recording

Yes, when recording there's no glitches or very few glitches on me but the game slow downs(maybe 5-6 fps). If i stay, glitches disappears in one second on my screen too. But i tried to move and shaking and took a lot of SS, i couldn't catch glitches.

Does reducing max PFF helps you?

Which GPU and CPU do you have?

Maybe the same thing causes both of our problems.

I tried to downclock GPU and VRAM and nothing changed.

Last edited:

gohan123

Aug 2, 2015
Yes, when recording there's no glitches or very few glitches on me but the game slow downs(maybe 5-6 fps). If i stay, glitches disappears in one second on my screen too. But i tried to move and shaking and took a lot of SS, i couldn't catch glitches.

Does reducing max PFF helps you?

Which GPU and CPU do you have?

Maybe the same thing causes both of our problems.

I tried to downclock GPU and VRAM and nothing changed.

i5 3470 + 280x

I will try the 14.12 driver .. if it help then it is good enough.

edit: on 14.12 now, the glitches disappeared. it's a short game so this solution is good enough for now. I'm hope future id games won't have these kind of problems.

Last edited: