catalyst 11.8 released

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

AMD Catalyst™ Control Center / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center 11.8 Release Notes. Provides a description of 11.8 download contents including product compatibility, new features and resolved issues

• Back
Last Updated

8/17/2011

Article Number

GPU-118

This article provides information on the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center 11.8 driver release. The release notes provides a description of 11.8 download contents including product compatibility, new features and resolved issues. The 11.8 software suite updates both the AMD display driver, and the AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center. This unified driver has been updated to provide enhanced level of power, performance, and reliability.

Package Content
The AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center 11.8 software suite contains the following:

• AMD display driver version 8.881
  • HydraVision™ for Windows® XP, Windows Vista® and Windows® 7
  • Southbridge/IXP Driver
  • AMD Catalyst™ Control Center version 8.881 / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center version 8.881.

Important ! Caution !

• The AMD display driver and the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center can be downloaded independently of each other. However, for better stability and performance AMD recommends that both components be updated from the same AMD Catalyst™ release.
  • The AMD Catalyst™ Control Center / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center requires that the Microsoft® .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.

Notes.

• When installing the AMD Catalyst™ driver for Windows operating system, the user must be logged on as Administrator or have Administrator rights to complete the installation of the AMD Catalyst™ driver.
  • These release notes provide information on the AMD display driver only. For information on the ATI Multimedia Center™, HydraVision™, HydraVision™ Basic Edition, Remote Wonder™, or the Southbridge/IXP driver, please refer to their respective release notes found at: http://support.amd.com/.
  • AMD Eyefinity™ technology gives gamers access to high display resolutions. As pixel count grows, the graphics horsepower required to drive the displays at a reasonable frame rate can increase dramatically. Depending on the game and system configuration, users may notice texture corruption and reduced frame rates when running games in multi-monitor Eyefinity modes.
  • Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers are no longer bundled in the AMD Catalyst™ software suite. The WDM drivers install bundle can be downloaded independently through the AMD website
Compatible Operating Systems
The latest version of the AMD Catalyst™ software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

• Windows® 7 32-bit version
  • Windows® 7 64-bit version
  • Windows Vista® 32-bit version
  • Windows Vista® 64-bit version
  • Windows® XP Professional
  • Windows® XP Home Edition
  • Windows® XP Media Center Edition
  • Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition

Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 11.8 Windows release include:
New Features

• AMD Overdrive has been enhanced to include both CPU and GPU over-clocking controls within the AMD Vision Control Center
  • CPU over-clocking is only supported on AMD Black edition CPUs

Performance Highlights

• Improves performance up to 10% in Crysis 2 DirectX 11 version for both non-Anti-Aliasing, and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Improves performance up to 8% in Fear 3 DirectX 11 version with application enabled Anti-Aliasing on the
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Improves performance up to 30% when AMD’s Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA) is enabled through the
    Catalyst™ Control Center on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Improves performance up to 20% in Call of Duty Black Operations for single GPU and Multi-GPU configurations on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst™ 11.8 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

• The option to “Apply current video quality settings to internet video" is no longer randomly missing from the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center / AMD Vision™ Engine Control Center.
  • 3DMark 11 no longer intermittently generates a BSOD error when run using a standard user account.
  • Playing HD video content overnight using Windows Media Center no longer causes the system to hang or generates a BSOD error.
  • Random graphical corruption is no longer experienced when playing Crysis 2 in a Crossfire environment.
  • Image stabilization is now correctly applied to DivX clips when using Windows Media Player.
  • Enabling AntiAliasing when playing Starcraft 2 no longer causes random screen blackouts.
  • Video corruption is no longer seen when scrolling through DivX 5 video files using Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.
  • Menu corruption is no longer seen when running F.E.A.R 3 in DirectX 11 mode.
  • Video playback now functions correctly after enabling hardware acceleration in VLC version 1.1.10.

Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst™ 11.8 software suite for Windows Vista. These include:

• PowerDVD no longer randomly displays a blank screen when playing back BluRay content with Crossfire enabled.
  • BSOD errors are no longer intermittently experienced after installing the driver with Crossfire enabled.

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst™ 11.8 software suite for Windows XP. These include:

• PowerDVD no longer randomly displays a blank screen during video playback when switching from extended display mode to cloned display mode.

Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include:

• STALKER - Call of Pripyat may randomly hang when entering a new or saved game.
  • Random corruption may be observed when running the Unigine Heaven benchmark in Fixed High Performance mode.
  • F1 2010 may randomly hang on application launch.
  • Battlefield – Bad Company 2 may randomly hang after a period of game play.
  • Dungeon Siege 3 may randomly hang on application launch.
  • Dead Rising 2 may randomly hang on application launch.
  • Random flashing may be observed while playing F1 2010 and Dirt 2.
  • OpenGL acceleration may not function within Photoshop CS5.

Known Issues under the Windows Vista Operating System
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows Vista operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include:

• Windows Aero options may not be available after installing the driver.
  • Doom 3 and Quake 4 may experience graphical corruption.
  • Performing Bezel compensation in certain Eyefinity configurations may cause some bezel groups to not appear.

Known Issues under the Windows XP Operating System
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include

• Enemy Territory – Quake Wars may experience random graphics corruption.
  • Quake 4 may experience random graphics corruption.

Installing the AMD Catalyst™ Software Driver
For further information and general help on software driver installation, game issues, and more, visit AMD Customer Care.
Installation information can be found at: How to Install Your AMD Product.

AMD Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback program. To provide us with your feedback, visit Catalyst™ Crew Driver Feedback.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

Performance Highlights

• Improves performance up to 10% in Crysis 2 DirectX 11 version for both non-Anti-Aliasing, and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Improves performance up to 8% in Fear 3 DirectX 11 version with application enabled Anti-Aliasing on the
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Improves performance up to 30% when AMD’s Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA) is enabled through the
    Catalyst™ Control Center on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Improves performance up to 20% in Call of Duty Black Operations for single GPU and Multi-GPU configurations on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series

Those look like some impressive improvements if true.

If someone could do a test with previous catalyst and then install these and try again.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
[*]Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers are no longer bundled in the AMD Catalyst™ software suite. The WDM drivers install bundle can be downloaded independently through the AMD website

I know it's a dumb question... how exactly does this effect us?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I actually still run 11.5 because of this:

"Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst™. These include:

Battlefield – Bad Company 2 may randomly hang after a period of game play."

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
Improves performance up to 30% when AMD’s Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA) is enabled through the Catalyst™ Control Center on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series

What happens if I activate MLAA for a game with Radeon Pro instead of CCC? Will I not get my 30% performance boost?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Good to see that Crysis 2, Fear 3, forced MLAA, and...Black Ops (better late than never I guess) get performance boosts on both 6000 and 5000 series cards. But since I have none of those games, I never force MLAA, and I do have Bad Company 2 I think I'll pass on this update.

Heinrich

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2001
I have not been able to install 11.8 - any of them - previews or anything. I can't pull up the "vision control center." I get a busy icon and nothing. I've uninstalled via control panel and no luck. I guess I'll try driver sweeper after uninstall.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
What happens if I activate MLAA for a game with Radeon Pro instead of CCC? Will I not get my 30% performance boost?

You will. RadeonPro 's profiles are applied to CCC whenever you start a game automatically, it does not replace or bypass it.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
I checked my idle right now.... 300 GPU usage and 300 Memory Clock usage. CPU Usage in the task manager is mostly 0% idle with the occasional spike to 2%.

Is there something else I need to review?

Last edited:

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
I was asking about Cpu Usage !
If you are using Win you can view in Task Manager under performance or use a software like CPUz
--------------------
ok then I must guve shot
=============
BTW do you use mining software ?

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I just downloaded it and tried a bunch of games, and they all seem to run smoother, so that's good.

The only negative I got was in Metro 2033, and it's kind of a big one. The game itself seems smoother, but sometimes a bright green line of pixels appears at the bottom of the screen. It's quite distracting.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I actually still run 11.5 because of this:

"Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system

Battlefield – Bad Company 2 may randomly hang after a period of game play."

Ditto. It took me a while to figure out what was causing that.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
BC2 is not playing well with this driver. I get random exits out of the game, and graphics corruption. When I look at the event viewer for Windows, it lists the graphics driver as the culprit.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
5830s, 2 of them. Was getting 270mhash, now 248. Going to stick with 11.7 on my other systems, although I don't care enough to rollback this one right now.

Oddly enough, now after another reboot a few days later my miners are running at the previous speed. I guess it wasn't the driver, just some temporary issue.