Cat/dog owners need an advice

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Considering getting a pet, but want to get some advice first. First of all, I travel every once in a while, but that shouldn't be the problem - can leave the kitten with one of the friends. What could be the problem is that I get home fairly late from work + gym, on a given day I can be gone between 8am till 7pm.

Secondly, I have a leather couch and several other nicer pieces of furniture would this be a problem? Anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks in advice.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Argo
Considering getting a pet, but want to get some advice first. First of all, I travel every once in a while, but that shouldn't be the problem - can leave the kitten with one of the friends. What could be the problem is that I get home fairly late from work + gym, on a given day I can be gone between 8am till 7pm.

Secondly, I have a leather couch and several other nicer pieces of furniture would this be a problem? Anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks in advice.

cats are independant enough that being gone will not be an issue however any animal could tear your furniture up, never know till you get them. cats dont tend to scratch leather though, only fabric if anything.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Cats are pretty self-sufficient, as long you make sure their food/water is OK and that their litter box is cleaned fairly often (We procrastinate to once a week, and it's not too bad with one cat :Q )

Regarding your furniture, you can buy some kind of spray or substance at your local pet store that will keep your pets from scratching them.

Dogs (usually) require a little more attention, so if you're not home often, look at getting a cat instead. I've been trying to find a dog pretty recently, so good luck. :thumbsup:

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Wow, out of the house for 11 hours a day. That's only an hour less than I spend (on a good day) in the office. :p

Cats will handle being alone for 14-18 hours a day but I would recommend getting two instead of one. They're generally less prone to destruction if they have another cat to pal around with. Also, budget an hour a day to just take care ofthe cats. Most of the time, that's a little excessive, but there are times when it's that long or longer.

ZV

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
A cat would be fine for you. The only thing they need you for is to supply food and water, and to clean their litterboxes every once in a while. Dogs need to bet let out before they piss and crap all over your house.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Cats are fine by themselves, just make sure you spend time with it when you get home. Also, if you're really worried about furniture, you can get the cat declawed.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko
Cats are fine by themselves, just make sure you spend time with it when you get home. Also, if you're really worried about furniture, you can get the cat declawed.
No. Getting a cat declawed is not an option because someone is worried about their damn furniture. How about matching the pet to the homeowner and the environment? If someone is going to be out 12 hours daily, they aren't candidates for a companion pet. A fish tank, perhaps. But a cat or a dog? Not a good match.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Carbo
No. Getting a cat declawed is not an option because someone is worried about their damn furniture.

Oh please... let him get the cat declawed if he wants.

While he's at it, have the vet surgically remove the cat's testes/ovaries - i'm sure animal lovers here won't complain about that. :thumbsup::D

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
No. Getting a cat declawed is not an option because someone is worried about their damn furniture.

Oh please... let him get the cat declawed if he wants.

While he's at it, have the vet surgically remove the cat's testes/ovaries - i'm sure animal lovers here won't complain about that. :thumbsup::D
You still harboring ill will because your genitalia don't function?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko
No. Getting a cat declawed is not an option because someone is worried about their damn furniture. How about matching the pet to the homeowner and the environment? If someone is going to be out 12 hours daily, they aren't candidates for a companion pet. A fish tank, perhaps. But a cat or a dog? Not a good match.

Why do some people whine and moan about getting a cat declawed? You're perfectly willing to screw up their hormones and inhibit their ability to reproduce - which is technically a leaving beings purpose in this world - and yet you won't take out their claws?

Hell, my mom is the biggest animal lover you know...don't believe me, get between her and one of her cats...and she has all three of them declawed.