Cat died

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
So, I've been home for maybe half an hour before my asshole neighbor knocks on my door. He wants to make sure that I indeed owned a black cat and asked that I would come collect it's dead body from his front porch. :(

I go to check it out and it is my cat. Didn't seem to have any physical damage done to him and he was 15 years old so I automatically assumed natural causes. The thing that has me wondering though is that I've always heard people saying cats ran away when they're about to die. I feel stupid for even asking this but is there any truth in that?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I hadn't heard they run away when they are about to die, but if it was in distress and didn't know where it was...

Besides if your neighbor killed it I doubt he would let you know and ask you to come pick up the body. He would have just throw it in your yard.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
I've already buried him. Really not trying to delve in too deep here. Just curious if it was indeed natural causes. It's probably best I don't know.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Jaiguru
I've already buried him. Really not trying to delve in too deep here. Just curious if it was indeed natural causes. It's probably best I don't know.

call your vet and ask

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
How can you not delve too deep yet you want us to answer a medical mystery for you? Lame.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007

My main question was if it was true that cats run away when they know they're about to die which would pretty much narrow it down to natural causes. I'm not asking you guys to play detective here.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

My main question was if it was true that cats run away when they know they're about to die which would pretty much narrow it down to natural causes. I'm not asking you guys to play detective here.

They try to find somewhere to hide.

In this case a front porch is in the open so like somebody else said may have been disorientated. If there was kidney shut down would explain getting disorientated.

rose.gif

:(

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

They try to find somewhere to hide.

In this case a front porch is in the open so like somebody else said may have been disorientated. If there was kidney shut down would explain getting disorientated.

rose.gif

:(

Thanks for the input. It really does explain a lot now.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
dmcowen is right - they often hide when they're dying. I sadly lost one of our cats about 2 months ago. It hid. Very well. Under some things in the back corner of a closet. We found it by the smell. To die on a neighbor's porch would be unusual though.

skreet

Sep 7, 2004

Hi there Jaiguru, welcome to ATOT :)

Anyway, I've always heard this to be true. But who knows, rumors get started all the time.. Some of the people who have told me this is true only have their own experiences as a child to back it up. For instance, my girlfriend is convinced that her cat ran away when she was 13 because it was old and needed to die. When she brought this up one day I asked, "Are you sure your parents didn't find it dead and get rid of it before you had a chance to see it?"

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
Originally posted by: skreet

Hi there Jaiguru, welcome to ATOT :)

Anyway, I've always heard this to be true. But who knows, rumors get started all the time.. Some of the people who have told me this is true only have their own experiences as a child to back it up. For instance, my girlfriend is convinced that her cat ran away when she was 13 because it was old and needed to die. When she brought this up one day I asked, "Are you sure your parents didn't find it dead and get rid of it before you had a chance to see it?"

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Seems everyone is correct though that they do at least try to hide before dying. Just talked to a friend and he confirmed that his cat had done this.

My cat was old but in no way senile. Seems he would have at least tried. Real bummer there but at least I know now. Thanks for all the help guys. :)