Cat 12.4 Installation woes

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well, I thought I'd be good and update my 12.1's to 12.4 for my HD6870 CrossfireX rig as well as install the 12.4 CAP 1 pack too.

Removed old drivers via uninstall, Rebooted, deleted all ATI/AMD folders in Users and Program Files x32 and x64, removed all appropriate AMD/ATI references from the Registry, Rebooted, clean installed 12.4 the the 12.4 CAP 1 without a hitch and verified by the log files, rebooted and thought things were fine.

Just a few days later I am prompted by CCC saying "there' a new software update. You're running 12.1's and we have 12.4's". Odd but I download the 12.4 package anyway, run the installer and for every entry that appears the installer tells me "Already up to date".

Odd again. So I repeated the process just now and have the exact same thing! Further oddness reveals that I have no Application Profiles in the CCC.

Any theories? I am loathed to do a full OS reinstall as .. well .. Diablo III is so close and a reinstall never thrills me.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Why don't you just ignore the message. So long as it works, it will be annoying but not actually harmful. Then when 12.5 comes out that should solve your problems. :)

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Well, I thought I'd be good and update my 12.1's to 12.4 for my HD6870 CrossfireX rig as well as install the 12.4 CAP 1 pack too.

Removed old drivers via uninstall, Rebooted, deleted all ATI/AMD folders in Users and Program Files x32 and x64, removed all appropriate AMD/ATI references from the Registry, Rebooted, clean installed 12.4 the the 12.4 CAP 1 without a hitch and verified by the log files, rebooted and thought things were fine.

Just a few days later I am prompted by CCC saying "there' a new software update. You're running 12.1's and we have 12.4's". Odd but I download the 12.4 package anyway, run the installer and for every entry that appears the installer tells me "Already up to date".

Odd again. So I repeated the process just now and have the exact same thing! Further oddness reveals that I have no Application Profiles in the CCC.

Any theories? I am loathed to do a full OS reinstall as .. well .. Diablo III is so close and a reinstall never thrills me.
Can't u disable ccc at windows startup?That should get rid of it.

Gepidae

Jun 7, 2006
To the OP: I actually have the same exact problem. My CAT 12.1 won't upgrade to 12.4. I even tried 12.3 and no matter what it keeps on displaying 12.1

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

If you used any type of driver sweeper or registry cleaner, they are problematic at times. Every time i've used it they've removed more stuff than they should and i'm left with a non operational system restore and / or OS.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
I just install the new drivers right over the old ones and I've never had these issues.

I would trust driver sweeper or even Revo Uninstaller but I don't bother with those registry cleaners anymore with the trouble they've caused me over the years.

Endymion FRS

Mar 29, 2012
Oh wow, I had this exact same problem once I built this Ivy Bridge build. On my old one, they updated just fine to 12.4. Then on the new drive and everything I did a fresh install of Windows, installed 12.4 and according to CCC and GPU-Z I was still running 11.5. I tried 12.1 and 12.3 and they worked perfectly. Guess I'll just wait until 12.5 and see what happens.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Damn, guess I've just been lucky for years.

For instance, had and installed a HIS 7970 upon its initial release and kept it through Cat 12.1.

Bought a GTX 680, sold the 7970, did a driver sweep, ran the 680 for a month. Then, dissatisfied with the 680's performance and constuction, I traded it for a Gigabyte 7970. Uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and installed 12.4....system ran and continues to run without a hitch.

Sometimes, I think it's more an interaction with other software that causes the problems, not just the drivers in a vacuum.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Damn that's a serious problem right there. I recommend a complete drive wipe and two re-installs, just to be sure:thumbsup:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I actually think your whole problem is that you manually uninstalled and tried to sweep the drivers yourself. This is now what AMD says to do. I have always just clicked on "update" when it says there is a version, let it down, install, and I am back to working in no time. I have never had a single driver fail to install in work over the last several years. I do the same for my nVidia cards. I don't use driver sweepers or manually uninstall for either.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Not to rain on your parade, but 12.4s kinda suck. Not fast at all. 12.5s will be really good based on my beta testing.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've manually sweeped for the past year or so for ATI/AMD Drivers and this is the first issue I have ever had with it. It's certainly unusual but only slightly annoying.

I'm not really noticing any performance degradation or the like but I'm unable to use any of the CAP pack of Application Profiles which might prove awkward in the future.

Also, I've heard of this problem occurring when people have upgraded their drivers to 12.4 over the old ones so it may not be related to any folder deletion or registry tidying.