IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
How does it work? I go to Fox app on my iPad and select a program. I select the cast button and pick my TV. Voila! The show is on my TV! Sony X750D running Android TV.

But how? The app just tells the Fox site to send the program data to my TVs IP address? What in the TV just ignores everything and starts showing the data stream?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
How does it work? I go to Fox app on my iPad and select a program. I select the cast button and pick my TV. Voila! The show is on my TV! Sony X750D running Android TV.

But how? The app just tells the Fox site to send the program data to my TVs IP address? What in the TV just ignores everything and starts showing the data stream?

Voodoo

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i've worked on chromecast recievers and clients

most smart TV apps, are actually just web pages, with a few extensions in java script to hook into the chromecast mediaplayer (which is just an interface to a piece of software on the chromecast firmware.... on say a samsung or LG tv its pretty similar too but they have their own proprietary apis).

chromecast is no different. you make a special web page. it has event hooks for when someone "casts". and you can hook into those events. So if I click play on my phone, it goes through the network, and the TV gets an event which some javascript wouldu see and it would do whatever it needed to get Urls for your video etc.

when you cast to a TV all you are telling theTV to do is load "the special webpage" that company X made for the chromecast. the chromecast has an api for a media player which supports most of the popular streaming formats (off the top of my head, chromecast supports HLS , smoothstreaming and MPEG DASH with widevine or playready digital rights management) and a vendor will tell the player to start streaming a video from the cloud.