Cast iron skillet recommendations

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Hey there, I've seen a few people here who use these pretty often. I've got a few recommendations thus far and I have the Americas Test Kitchen stuff too but I'd like to see what you guys use.

I don't care about pre seasoned as I plan to do that anyway, I'm looking for a nice solid product. Price isn't that big of a concern as long as it's justified.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Lodge or Wagner if it's still around. Dollar store price, and specialty shop performance. You may also be able to get some at flea markets, and antique shops, but they tend to hold their value really well, and Griswolds have become outrageous to buy.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
My Lodge pre-seasoned has worked great - it was only a few $ at walmart too.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Most new cast iron comes pre seasoned these days. Aside from products like Le Creuset, cast iron is dirt cheap. Remember, you are buying a cooking pan that will literally last several lifetimes.

The most important factor is getting a pan large enough for what you want to cook. Because of the weight, too many people under size their pans.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I got mine from Cabelas if I remember right they go up to 20" there.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
What is there to recommend? It's a cast iron skillet...

That's like asking someone to recommend some good glass for their coffee table top.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
What is there to recommend? It's a cast iron skillet...

That's like asking someone to recommend some good glass for their coffee table top.
they can vary pretty greatly depending on size and quality of build (some can be more prone to heat spots and whatnot)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I use a square 14" skillet most of the time. The square shape plays nice on the stove when you have other pans taking up room. You can easily prepare food for up to four in it.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
That Lodge Logic one is rated one of the best by ATK too.

I'm just surprised at how fucking cheap these things are. We've got some Le Crueset stuff and love it but I don't see the huge price jump nor the need for a cast iron skillet from them. What is so great about it?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
That Lodge Logic one is rated one of the best by ATK too.

I'm just surprised at how fucking cheap these things are. We've got some Le Crueset stuff and love it but I don't see the huge price jump nor the need for a cast iron skillet from them. What is so great about it?

The enamel coating keeps acids from interacting with the pan and cream sauces from coloring but, that's not what you use a skillet for anyways.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Reputation for quality, I suppose. I'm sure some pricier models have higher quality source materials and a more refined manufacturing process, but yes, an inexpensive cast iron skillet that is nicely seasoned and used regularly doesn't make worse food than the best skillet in the world.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I stopped using my good big old heavy cast iron skillet - too heavy, it's dangerous. So I got something from Walmart. Much lighter and just as good as the old heavy one.

No reason to disdain pre-seasoning. Seasoning is seasoning.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I stopped using my good big old heavy cast iron skillet - too heavy, it's dangerous. So I got something from Walmart. Much lighter and just as good as the old heavy one.

No reason to disdain pre-seasoning. Seasoning is seasoning.

I've just read that the pre-seasoned ones aren't really seasoned 'enough' though I've never owned a cast iron skillet so I can't really comment on that. Something I've read.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
ATK seems to not buy into the Le Crueset hype.

even amongst dutch ovens, there's like a $50 one that they rate just as good as the $300 crueset and all clad ones.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The catch with cast iron is that you have to take good care of it. If you're the kind of person that leaves dirty dishes laying around all week then it probably isn't the best choice for you. Make sure to read about proper cleaning/care.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I really like mine, but it was a gift. I would probably not spend that much if I was purchasing it myself, but the ladies seem to love the stuff, not that you care about that. :)

KT

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've just read that the pre-seasoned ones aren't really seasoned 'enough' though I've never owned a cast iron skillet so I can't really comment on that. Something I've read.

I prefer to do things the manual/longer way. I don't have experience with pre-seasoned iron, but I'd rather just do it myself.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Find one at a garage sale that some old lady has used for 40 years.. the coating on that sucker is better than any nonstick pan you can buy.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
they can vary pretty greatly depending on size and quality of build (some can be more prone to heat spots and whatnot)

Really? I bought mine at Walmart about 5 years ago. It is a Lodge and I think I paid about $15 for it. I've used it dozens of times and never had any trouble with it at all...hell, I've left it out on the grill for days after use.

I can't imagine what a more expensive cast irons skillet could do that this one can't...:confused: