Cassette Tape Making A Comeback?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
That doesn't skip undesired tracks unattended. Nor does it mix tracks with hundreds of other CDs.

I think the largest CD unit I've ever seen was maybe 20 trays and then it still had to physically change to each CD somehow.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pre-CD was when I went through an Audiophillic stage. Cassettes were the pinnacle of the technology with interesting specs like Wow and Flutter, different Tape types, but also it was the first medium to allow you to take your music anywhere and brought Recording to the Masses. I spent a ridiculous amount on Music Tapes, but also on Blank Tapes in pursuit of making the best recordings off my Records.

Good times overall. I could live through that again, but I wouldn't choose to. That's just weird.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not randomly and unattended.

err, most cd players have a random function... There were cd changers that take 400 CDs and it can even link at least two units together. Obviously track and cd change takes longer than flash media.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
My biggest problem with LPs, CDs, Cassettes, 8 tracks and all other similar media is that you have to listen to the tracks in order, including any you don't like. Some only have a couple of songs I like mixed in with several I hate. I ripped all my CDs to digital and copied all of my albums and tapes to digital. I eliminated the tracks I don't want and use the rest in playlists that range into the thousands of tracks arranged by preference and randomized during playback.
That's also the point....when artists made albums and the stuff between the hits was also great! Or the songs on an album work together to tell a story.

Also:
950286-327f58d0-sony-cdpcx455-400-disc-megastorage-cd-changer.jpg

Reactions: anky
Nov 17, 2019
Don't care. The Black Widow (Price narration) on Welcome to My Nightmare is terrible. OK, not really terrible, but not something you want on random rotation.

Same with Public Animal #9 on School's Out. Just not something I want in rotation.

To me, Money doesn't fit on Dark Side, but I recall a story behind it saying the studio wanted a 'single' not realizing what Time would turn into.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My last stand-alone CD player (an NEC) had a function that allowed you to program the tracks you wanted to listen to in any order you liked using a remote control.

Also playing individual tracks on a CD (or audio DVD) is effectively the same as playing them from a file on a HDD/SSD provided the bit-rate is similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, my cd players were programmable, but it's a bit of a hassle. It was usually easier just to push buttons when the time came.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yea, my cd players were programmable, but it's a bit of a hassle. It was usually easier just to push buttons when the time came.

The remote from my old NEC was a nightmare of tiny unlit buttons lol.

The "skip" buttons were large and right beneath "play" on the machine.

;)

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What are all those buttons anyway?! Pretty much every remote I've ever used had a 100 buttons, and I used 4 of them. Probably missed out on some amazing features cause I didn't feel like reading the manual :^D

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
What are all those buttons anyway?! Pretty much every remote I've ever used had a 100 buttons, and I used 4 of them. Probably missed out on some amazing features cause I didn't feel like reading the manual :^D
Was one of the buttons the skip to the next track button, or were you in the same boat as Mr lost?:p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Was one of the buttons the skip to the next track button, or were you in the same boat as Mr lost?:p

Oh they were there alright although it was tough to tell because they were the exact same shape, size and color as every other button on the dang thing for EXTRA convenience!

:p o_O

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Oh they were there alright although it was tough to tell because they were the exact same shape, size and color as every other button on the dang thing for EXTRA convenience!

:p o_O
The play button was always bigger than the skip forward or the skip back button, and skip forward was to the right, and skip back was to the left. I'm pretty sure it's still the same, but I'll check the remote on my PS5 if you want.

EDIT: The play button is the same size on my PS5 remote, so I guess there's a chance that it was the same size on certain remotes back in the day. That wasn't the case on my Panasonic or Pioneer remotes though.:p

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
err, most cd players have a random function... There were cd changers that take 400 CDs and it can even link at least two units together. Obviously track and cd change takes longer than flash media.
I remember our CD player with changer plays audio from memory buffer, so it could change track/media and transition to the next track without missing a beat.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The play button was always bigger than the skip forward or the skip back button

LOL @ the above. ;)

EVERY button on that remote was EXACTLY the same size and shade of grey. (plus the labels were microscopic)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Vinyl makes more sense than cassette tapes. I still have a bunch of records. Ripped 225 tracks to the highest MP3 encoding there is, and probably still have another 30 to go. I may sell the records in bunches of 10 unless some DJ's want to offer me x dollars for a certain record.

I also have some cool collector records - like Alfred Hitchcock reading horror stories, the actual moon landing recordings, The original Star Wars trilogy audio with all the dialogue and sound effects, an Arnold Schwarznegger workout record, it's hilarious, a CBS record of the biggest news stories from 1957. I will always keep those.

Otherwise it's all digital format for me. Tidal Hi-Fi for my higher end desktop DAC/Amp setup, and Spotify for my mobile usage.

Last edited: