Cashing Check

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Hey guys, I do not own a bank account, I received a check for my poll working, and now I am wondering if my parents can cash it for me? And what should I sign on the back? Thanks

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Jsut sign on the back.

Let them deposit it into their bank.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Sign it over to your parents, have them sign it also and let them deposit.

Or, if the checking account is from a local bank, take your id and they can cash it for you.

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
Correct me if I'm wrong fellow ATOTers, but Reg J requires the bank that issued the check to cash the check for free without an account there. Chances are the county uses a local bank.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
You can cash it at the issuing bank, or you can sign it over to your parents and have them deposit it into their account. BUT, your parents' bank must believe that YOU actually endorsed the check first - if not, they do not have to honor it. You can call your parents' bank to find out what procedure to follow. They might have you come to a teller in person.

Why don't you use this opportunity to open your own checking account at the bank? If you're a minor, you can open a joint account with your parents.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
he has to show ID and will probably have to thumbprint it, but yes the issuing bank has to honor the draft instrument, providing:
1 sufficient funds
2 signature matches

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: tk149
Why don't you use this opportunity to open your own checking account at the bank? If you're a minor, you can open a joint account with your parents.

:thumbsup:

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
just write on the back

Pay to the order of (my parentS)
sign your name

they can cash

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
lol, alright, my mom was like, stop making a big deal, just sign it and we'll cash it, SHEEZ. :)

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: skyking
he has to show ID and will probably have to thumbprint it, but yes the issuing bank has to honor the draft instrument, providing:
1 sufficient funds
2 signature matches

Many banks charge you a fee to cash their checks if you don't have an account. :| :| :|

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
If the check has a bank brand on it (say Bank of America), go to that bank (if they have free checking) then just give them check, id, sign it, thumbprint and you get cash.