• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Case USB-C

Feb 4, 2009
I’m sort of confused about front usb-c ports on cases. Do they need to go into a usb-c motherboard header which I’ve yet to find on any motherboard *I haven’t shopped the ultra high end* or does the front usb-c plug into one for the motherboards 3.whatever header?

Edit: appears it needs to into a usb 3.1 gen 2 header, I assume a usb 3.2 header will work.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
usb type c headers are different then your standard headers.

They look like this:

and yes typically higher end boards will have a type c header port which should not be confused with a standard 3.0 header.
Looks like I’ll have a non functional usb c connection on my case.
Sort of irritating I have 2 usb 3.0 case connections for two usb 3.2 motherboard headers and zero usb c connections on the motherboard

2 fast motherboard headers slowed by case connections
1 super fast super high power connection on case that can’t be used by motherboard.
Oh well I still have the back ports

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
check your board again.
If your board has a type C in the rear, there is a good chance it will have a type C header.
They look like this on the board:

Looks like I’ll have a non functional usb c connection on my case.
oh... the case....
Its most likely a fake type C.
Meaning its a usb3.0 adapter to type C and not a true 3.1 type C.

Feb 4, 2009
check your board again.
If your board has a type C in the rear, there is a good chance it will have a type C header.
They look like this on the board:

oh... the case....
Its most likely a fake type C.
Meaning its a usb3.0 adapter to type C and not a true 3.1 type C.
I haven’t bought the motherboard yet but it appears the Asrock X570 steel Legend does not have a usb c header. That’s okay, I can deal with it honestly other than plugging a thumb drive in or usb headset I tropically don’t use the front usb.
Just irritating

Feb 4, 2009
@aigomorla Two things

First I assume it is safe to plug a case USB 3.0 into a motherboard USB 3.2 header, other than there being less speed there is no concern correct?

Second I figured out the USB-C thing on asrocks steel legend, asrock sells an add on PCIE card to add USB-C with I think 36 watts of power.

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
first... yes, if the header looks like a standard 3.0 header, then yea its fine.

second... that is probably a thunderbolt addon card and not a 3.1 card.
thunderbolt is another can of worms.

ASK THE COMMUNITY