Case suggestions, OR what case do you have?

agfkfhahddhdn

Dec 14, 2003
I'm currently working on turning my "server" (basically a Windows 7 PC in my closet that stores all my media) into a Steam box, which means it's going to be on my TV stand, so I'd like to give it a more attractive case. I'm leaning towards the case linked at the bottom of this post, but I honestly just cannot pull the trigger on anything. I'm looking for something absolutely as minimalist as possible. If I could buy a blank black rectangle I would be over the moon. So what would you guys suggest? I'm also interested in seeing what everyone is using, even if it's completely the opposite of what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-GD...&keywords=gd04

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I'm currently working on turning my "server" (basically a Windows 7 PC in my closet that stores all my media) into a Steam box, which means it's going to be on my TV stand, so I'd like to give it a more attractive case. I'm leaning towards the case linked at the bottom of this post, but I honestly just cannot pull the trigger on anything. I'm looking for something absolutely as minimalist as possible. If I could buy a blank black rectangle I would be over the moon. So what would you guys suggest? I'm also interested in seeing what everyone is using, even if it's completely the opposite of what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-GD...&keywords=gd04

That conspicuous thing? With its lines and white lettering? Why don't you try this instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product

Or, if it's not too late to go miniATX, you might consider:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-027-_-Product

In all seriousness, though, I am a Fractal Design guy. They are great cases.

agfkfhahddhdn

Dec 14, 2003
That conspicuous thing? With its lines and white lettering? Why don't you try this instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product

Or, if it's not too late to go miniATX, you might consider:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-027-_-Product

In all seriousness, though, I am a Fractal Design guy. They are great cases.

For fuck's sake, I spent the better part of two days browsing Newegg's entire HTPC case selection and somehow never found that beauty. There are some downsides - size (would prefer microATX), cost ($150 is a lot, though honestly price isn't an object if it looks that nice), and the disk drive (I don't want to have to buy a slim drive, but that's a low priority) - but looks are my #1 concern and I'd be hard pressed to believe there is a better looking case out there. Thanks!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Speaking of Fractal cases... if you don't need an actual HTPC case... the Define Mini. I have my HTPC in one, it works very well. The Defines are sound damped, have a front door so they are very inconspicuous. But I agree with smitbret... I'm a Fractal guy myself. :)

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
For fuck's sake, I spent the better part of two days browsing Newegg's entire HTPC case selection and somehow never found that beauty. There are some downsides - size (would prefer microATX), cost ($150 is a lot, though honestly price isn't an object if it looks that nice), and the disk drive (I don't want to have to buy a slim drive, but that's a low priority) - but looks are my #1 concern and I'd be hard pressed to believe there is a better looking case out there. Thanks!

Just an FYI, the 605 is an ATX/MicroATX case. No need to go MiniATX for this one. Only for the 304.

... or were you saying it's too large?

Last edited:

agfkfhahddhdn

Dec 14, 2003
Just an FYI, the 605 is an ATX/MicroATX case. No need to go MiniATX for this one. Only for the 304.

... or were you saying it's too large?

Yeah, I meant it was too large. Well, it's definitely not TOO large, I'd still buy it, I'd just prefer if it were smaller.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I've helped a few friends build HTPCs in rackmount server cases.

For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811165511

Best things about them I recommend are: compared to actual dedicated HTPC cases, they're often way cheaper. They're generally very sturdy. They're usually easy to modify if needed, and have decent airflow and cooling characteristics. The better ones look awesome. (The rack mounts can often be removed, or actually used to rack in place even on in entertainment center).

Downsides: generally much heavier than standard PC cases, but shouldn't be an issue if the system is just going to stay put. I've used ATX models, but I see a few mATX models here and there, even a few ITX server cases.

Just an 'out of box' suggestion to consider.

country2

May 1, 2001
I have both the Node 304 and the Silverstone GD04b although the silverstone is sweet looking..I like the Node 304 better just due too the size and better cooling.

TonyZ

Feb 21, 2000
I just built a new HTPC and initially used a Silverstone GD08 which was nice and all on the outside, but with a full size ATX mobo it was really cramped and cable management sucked, sent it back to Amazon... Ended up just getting the same case I have for my desktop, a Corsair 550D. Very quiet and just sets inconspicuously beside the tv stand.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you are going to put this in a cabinet without much room to spare on the sides of the enclosed area then keep in mind that the side fans are just about useless.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I am a huge fan of Lian Li cases but boy they are expensive (and worth it!).

Love the look, but they use the aircraft aluminum that bends if you rest a pair of needle nose pliars on the side panel. Too easy to twist, bend, crease, etc. I just always felt like the cases were flimsy.

Gimme the Fractal Design solid steel cases that weigh 25 lbs. for a mATX case.

I know, they are quality cases, but I just can't get over the "feel".

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have had 4 different HTPC cases over the years. Ahanix MCE601 from back in 2004-2005 (ran WAY too hot and loud), a Silverstonetek LC10b (replaced the MCE, still a little hot, but not quite as loud), a Cooler Master cMedia 282 (looked like crap, but everything ran extremely cool and QUIET!), and finally an Antec Remote Fusion MAX (looks nice (aside from the LCD which you have to fix... see extensive forum posts about how Antec didn't place the proper polarization films on the LCD screen), and again extremely cool and silent case and solid).

Yes it is huge, but it is no larger than the pre-processor I have and the amplifiers I have in my HT. It works well in my HT shelf, which has open sides/rear. And did I say it was quiet? It has 4 fans in it, but they are all at 5v (or less, the PSU fan barely turns on from time to time), and they are all 120mm or 140mm fans so they move a decent amount of air, in fact the hiss of the air exhausting is the only sound you hear when you get up close to it. The GPU is an old AMD Powercolor 5750 SCS3 (which is fanless), which still works fine for HTPC duty, but probably could use upgrading at some point.

The Antec is a tank of a case, the others, well, the Silverstone was pretty solid, but the Coolermaster's plastic panels were crap, and the 601 very flimsy as well.

Last edited:

ascian

Jun 24, 2014
CAn second the Fractal Node 304, have had for 3 months and it's great. Would recommend replacement case fans (I used Cougar...Typhoon?) as the default are quite loud, as well as the Corsair H80i watercooler I used. Now it's silent, cool, and slick. No noise gets out of my cabinet at load.

engineerbry

Feb 23, 2010
I just built a new HTPC and initially used a Silverstone GD08 which was nice and all on the outside, but with a full size ATX mobo it was really cramped and cable management sucked, sent it back to Amazon... Ended up just getting the same case I have for my desktop, a Corsair 550D. Very quiet and just sets inconspicuously beside the tv stand.

I built mine with the Silverstone GD08B and I absolutely love it. Cable management isn't great but the removable hdd enclosure makes it easier to work in and provides some opportunity for cable storage. It's big but if it's paired with a good size receiver (like it is for me) it doesn't look out of place at all. Room for a decent size cooler and a good sized video card (I have a Gigabyte GTX 770 OC Windforce 3X in there). Pretty decent cooling as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Te...YAZ4M02311S32Q

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

country2

May 1, 2001
I have both the GD04 and Node 304 and appearance wise I like the GD04.It does not look cheap like the Node does and I like the usb ports on front as it works better with my remotes.

agfkfhahddhdn

Dec 14, 2003
Does anyone know if the Node 804 is available without a window? It looks perfect otherwise, but unfortunately I'm not 14 years old.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Does anyone know if the Node 804 is available without a window? It looks perfect otherwise, but unfortunately I'm not 14 years old.

QFT.

Luckily, it seems like we are finally getting a movement away from the window the last few years. Geez, 7 years ago you couldn't get any case without a window and had to order an additional side panel from the manufacturer.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
QFT.

Luckily, it seems like we are finally getting a movement away from the window the last few years. Geez, 7 years ago you couldn't get any case without a window and had to order an additional side panel from the manufacturer.

They ought to make them an extra cost option or extra version on the big gamer cases, not standard on a smaller case like the Node. Doesn't make sense... o_O