Case shortcircuting Motherboard?

LMaus

Jun 23, 2001
Ok, some of you might remember back I had a computer that wouldn't post, you can still find the link I'm sure. Look for the sad blue face.

During testing, I removed all parts from the case, set up everything as if it were in the case, and plugged EVERYTHING in.
Motherboard lying on the floor, cables running all over, but it posts.

And it tells me: *beep*. My baby's ok.

So, I had worried when I saw this Fong Kai case that it might short out the motherboard. So much exposed metal inside.
The motherboard screws just screw down into bumps out of the side of the case. Big bumps. The kind of bumps that may touch things it's not supposed to.

What should I do about this? Metal extenders will raise the board higher so that it will not be able to expose cards and ports to plug cables into the back.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...03-04.JPG/11-120-003-05.JPG/11-120-003-06.JPG
I apologise for that URL size.
It is the Fong Kai Model#: FK-668A selling for 39.00 as of tonight on www.newegg.com
Look at the pics. Click next to see internal view. Notice those little f*cking bumps? I think that's what's doing it.

The case did come with little brown washer things, but it's impossible to balance them on the bumps while lowering a motherboard onto them and attempting to screw it in. I'd use tape but I don't know if that will conduct electricity with the adhesive, and what happens when it heats up?

Advice. Solutions. Please. :)

Thanks.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
You shouldn't have to worry about the motherboard shorting out on the case even with the little bumps that are annoying you. I would try installing the motherboard again and seeing what happens. Just glue/tape (doesn't take much at all) the washers if the motherboard is still shorting out somewhere.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: wfbberzerker
didnt your case come with some kind of metal standoffs for the motherboard?
Check out the pics he posted, the standoffs are built in and not the screw in type. They are like a bubble.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
That case is similar to the Evercase in which you don't use standoffs - it has raised dimples that you screw your motherboard into.

You are going to need to use the washers or electrical tape to stop your board from grounding.