case mod question

nickburns

Jan 9, 2000
i am about to start yet another mod on my case and here is my question. I want to replace the power switch on my pc with something big and bright, so i go to radio shack and find a big red on/off switch with a red led in it. So i think this will be perfect, till i realize that the LED inside of the switch is a 12v LED. I know that the motherboard only outputs 2-3v out of the power switch lead and the power LED lead. So does anyone have anyideas how to wire this up?

RC5Bri

Dec 24, 2000
I guess you would splice a power cable that would go to a cdrom/hd for the LED. I don't know which wires. I think there is a yellow, black, and red. If you have a multimeter, you can check it out.

I will look at the connectors more tomorrow morning.

fast_eddie

Oct 22, 1999
What kinda mobo do you have? If you have an ATX type mobo, you will need a MOMENTARY CONTACT switch!!! With ATX mobo's, the 'switch' merely 'tells' the mobo what you want to do; 'firing up' the PS is actually done by the mobo.

There are 2 types of momentary contact switches; Normally Open [N.O.] and Normally Closed [N.C.]. ATX cases use the NO type of switch; the switch is open until you press the 'button', the switch is then 'closed' for however long the 'button' is pressed.